I'm deathly afraid of Spa's and Jacuzzi's.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have no experience with pigs. I love dogs and am currently on Dog No. 5. I also love horses, love to be around them, love to ride when I can.

I have no natural fear of domesticated animals, but as is prudent I always exercise caution and I stay alert.

Any animal can be an asshole. But knowing how to behave around them is very helpful. Horses respect me because I assert confidence and natural leadership. I was taught to do that from my very first riding lesson.

For dogs, my behavior is hyper dominant. They KNOW I'm the Alpha. Any that challenge me after first contact have a screw loose.

It's when you aren't assertive that you get in trouble with some animals.

PelliX

Reaction score
Pigs are benign but they don't care if you're in their way and you happen to be between them and something they're interested in. Especially when you're about their height... Lesson learned, no hard feelings. Still like pigs, still eat bacon, too. Sheep will walk around you, though... and at great distance in Wales.... :shrug:

Multiple dog owner here, too. I get on with pretty much any mammal within reason, but horses somehow... that one left a lasting impression. They sense fear and don't trust me, which just aggrevates the situation so I tend to avoid them. One day I strolled out of a previous job in the lunchbreak, meant to get a sandwich or something. Literally, just around the corner there was a police anti-riot squad including horses. I wasn't paying too much attention, when I looked up at the horse next to me and I just saw the whites in its eyes. I looked at the cop on the horse attempting to convey a message to the tune of "sorry mate - wrong turn, I'm not the football hooligan you're looking for", but the horse was up on its hind legs and he nearly fell off. Saw the whites in his eyes, too. I was unscathed, and I guess so were he and the horse, but I sure got out of the way fast and headed in the other direction. I blame myself for that one, too, but I'm still amazed at the apparent lack of 'training' or 'control' in that situation on the horse and rider's part.

I should stop now, or Vin is going to need rehab before he can leave the house again... :cool:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you operate power tools? Drive a car? Cross roads? Play through a valve amp? Shower? I'd rather have a good zap than get rear ended. Any form of being rear ended. ANY form.

You know, I'm not gonna try and convince you, but you're really making a big deal out of something that shouldn't be. That's just a shame, man, honest. :)
The answer is No to all of the above. I never do any of those things, ever.

...ok, maybe I use a drill, but that's battery powered.

Seriously though - nothing you motioned even closely compares to being immersed in a pool of 120VAC. We're not talking about a shock like when you accidentally touch a live wire.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’ve had 3 lazy spas in past. Recently selling one as the cost of running it was becoming g silly and almost £10 a day.
Comes with an rcd inline, 13 amp fuse in the plug too. Pulls about 11.5-12 amps when heating.
Had it plugged into a fancy electrical socket with rcd and some other type gadget I don’t remember also this was supplied from my dis board which is rcd and breaker protected.

Man you’re missing out. 40° heat for a couple hours chill with some beer 🍺
3 teaspoons of chlorine a day and keeps it working spot on

Always risk if you’re an idiot tho……
BBQ anyone 😂
And if the electrics scare you there’s always the second option….

PelliX

Reaction score
Seriously though - nothing you motioned even closely compares to being immersed in a pool of 120VAC. We're not talking about a shock like when you accidentally touch a live wire.

Well, just walking the stairs is pretty dangerous business statistically. Bump your head wrong and you've got brain damage. I know people... You're right though; it's a risk, and not one you *have* to take. Life is all about taking the risks one wants to or has to. :yesway:

What kind of shock would you expect from the pool scenario outlined? (Honest question)

@mrjones2004x : Beginners ^ The flip-flops float better upside down. Tssk. And look at those beers getting toasted next to the grill, they could float an electric coolbox in there easy...

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, just walking the stairs is pretty dangerous business statistically. Bump your head wrong and you've got brain damage. I know people... You're right though; it's a risk, and not one you *have* to take. Life is all about taking the risks one wants to or has to. :yesway:

What kind of shock would you expect from the pool scenario outlined? (Honest question)

@mrjones2004x : Beginners ^ The flip-flops float better upside down. Tssk. And look at those beers getting toasted next to the grill, they could float an electric coolbox in there easy...
Frying to death while fully immersed in 120VAC. When people are subjected to electrocution, they are unable to move, and no one can touch them to save them w/o also being electrocuted, ever. This is eviltry; a vexation among the planets. The only way out is death, because first strike is deadly:

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Kind of funny... when I was still a noob rider, (OK, "novice equestrian"), I got a gig as an exercise rider for an older horse (pushing 30) who was the king of the ranch. Definitely he was dominant over every other horse there. Sounds intimidating for a not yet very experienced rider. But for me he was a puppy dog. His owner was rather impressed and amazed that he respected and minded me so well.

There was a reason for that. I have a trick to befriend horses quickly. It's called "Oatmeal cookies". :cool: Horses LOVE 'EM!!!! So if he was good he'd get some. If not, he might still get some but not as much.

Other horses in the same barn were curious. (Twelve stalls, all usually occupied.) Before long I had to bring enough cookies to give everyone of them a few bites.

It was kind of a cool feeling to drive up, get out of your car, and see a dozen horses sticking their heads out of their stalls, looking at you,
and whinnying in greeting. "Cookie man is here!!" I never met a horse that didn't decide it likes a good oatmeal cookie. Made friends with a lot of horses that way.

Flag

Reaction score
Meh, as opposed to the sea which is not chlorinated or filtered (except for biological processes) and contains the feces of all the animals residing in it... plus the ones flying overhead. Then there are the rotting plants and dead animals decomposing, too. Doesn't keep me out. I don't live near the sea (comparatitively, ALL of Holland is sort of near to the sea), so I make do with some lakes of dubious water, littering and the odd bike wreck. Keeps the immune system busy. The scrap metal is probably the biggest danger... and I've never had a tetanus shot.
Here in Florida, there's been several people die from a flesh eating bacteria in the gulf. mostly in the summer tho, some had open wounds, but others didn't. but you can't live scared to do shit really..lol

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Many years ago some kids from my home town died in a hot tub- carbon monoxide poisoning from some heater. I think the tub was in some kind of enclosed space.

Some years back a kid up here died swimming at the marina. Some problem with the electricity to dockside plugs. Never heard what happened with the lawsuit.

Of course random drownings are the big killer- around thirty in the Great Lakes so far this year.
I have never heard of anyone getting electrocuted from a pool

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Many years ago some kids from my home town died in a hot tub...

Some years back a kid up here died swimming at the marina. Some problem with the electricity to dockside plugs. Never heard what happened with the lawsuit.

That's it. I'm having my house re-wired for DC- only power this weekend. I have had enough of this already.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you sit on the shitter, Keep in mind your water supply comes to you via giant electric powered pumps...guess you're digging for an outhouse now..:D

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
DC kills...

it's more lethal than AC, if you have similar amperes/volts...

The worst shock I've ever had, was from a 12v 950a car battery. Luckily I was able to disconnect from it. If the same juice was alternate, the shock would have been a 60 bpm pulse. The DC was one big jolt & it wouldn't have stopped, if I hadn't been able to let go. It grabbed me too.

I've been shocked by 120v plenty (usually through a tube amp) & even though I felt an unhealthy dose a few x's, it was nowhere in comparison to that 12v battery...

PelliX

Reaction score
DC kills...

it's more lethal than AC, if you have similar amperes/volts...

The worst shock I've ever had, was from a 12v 950a car battery. Luckily I was able to disconnect from it. If the same juice was alternate, the shock would have been a 60 bpm pulse. The DC was one big jolt & it wouldn't have stopped, if I hadn't been able to let go. It grabbed me too.

I've been shocked by 120v plenty (usually through a tube amp) & even though I felt an unhealthy dose a few x's, it was nowhere in comparison to that 12v battery...

I'm going to assume that Vin is trolling us here, I can't imagine hanging out on this forum too long before hearing about how DC can be a fair deal nastier than household AC in many situations... :) ... and we know he has a battery powered drill...

Frying to death while fully immersed in 120VAC. When people are subjected to electrocution, they are unable to move, and no one can touch them to save them w/o also being electrocuted, ever.

More like boiling instead of frying, no...? Jokes aside, the fuse or GFC is just as likely to trip if something goes wrong in your pool. Why not test it; take an extension cord and toss it in the pool (from a safe distance). Chances are that the power will cut, that's it. If you end up with something vaguely resembling a geyser.... call an electrician!

V-man

Reaction score
some ppl need to learn to live a little.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
I’d put the dog or cat in first each time to test it, then get in lol (kidding???). And don’t worry, if you do get electrocuted you probably won’t even know it or what is going on! But seriously, I’d verify exactly what you’re trying to verify before I got in too lol.

PelliX

Reaction score
some ppl need to learn to live a little.

That's a prankster's bread and butter. I like that type of *short* video. I was shocked when I found out this guy isn't an electrician...