If you want to replace the neck on your Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Ps. 37, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Yo... This does touch on something I have ALWAYS wondered.

When you watch the LEGENDARY Hendrix Monterey guitar sacrifice, after he smashes the guitar you can see him clear as day throw multiple pieces into the audience AND you see him clearly toss the neck out too.....
    Where the FcK did that neck go!?!?! Where are the other pieces? The piece in the Seattle EMP is the only acounted piece... There was more that went into the crowd and I would think who ever snagged those had to know those were special... I really hope they still exist somewhere besides a landfill... Makes my stomach turn to think maybe someone or their parents tossed it into the trash or something... Maybe one day they will show up out of a private collection.

Ps. 37 likes this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ask Dweezil Zappa

El Gringo likes this.
  3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

He has the v
    he has the body , who knows maybe the neck was made into toothpicks . The show took place in Florida where Jimi worked his "art"

4. groovenev

groovenev Member

Jimi would have always bust up and destroy the worst players his road crew would procure for the shows, and kept anything worth playing much closer, all thought I have read that he was never close to any guitar and most were loaned or had a short lived existence in his short life... 'just read a good book.. 'check it out 'wild thing'

Maggot Brain and Ps. 37 like this.
  5. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

Sounds like a good read.

Just wondering if it makes any mention of his white Stratocaster. I remember reading where Noel said they should have buried the white Stratocaster with him because it was his favorite.

groovenev likes this.
  6. El Gringo

He was getting them for free from Fender by the bunch as he was a big reason why Strats rebounded in sales # in the mid to late 60's and into the 70's . The one that did survive I believe is the Woodstck 69 Olympic white Stratocaster .

groovenev, Maggot Brain and Ps. 37 like this.
  7. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

If legit, would be cool to put this neck on Zappa's Hendrix Strat body.

8. El Gringo

oh oh clue #1 me smells something rotten

9. Maggot Brain

Jimi was rather indifferent to his guitars, they were just tools I believe and chose them more on how they complimented his clothes. It wasn't until his "Black Beauty" did Jimi show any attachment to any particular guitar. He's famous for the Olympic White CBS Strat from Woodstock but by 1970 he was often playing his black CBS Strat at the majority of his performances.

It is the guitar he had with him the day before his death as seen in these last photos... He should have been buried with Black Beauty....

upload_2021-6-8_15-36-21.png

10. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

I hear ya MB.:)

I was just going by a Noel quote from a book published in the early '70's "Hendrix: A Biography" by Chris Welch.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  11. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Noel's quote seems to go against Jimi actually having given the white Strat to Mitch. And Jimi giving the white Strat to Mitch supports what Maggot Brain is saying.

Ps. 37 and Maggot Brain like this.
  12. Maggot Brain

If I am remembering correctly the Woodstock Strat dropped out of rotation for another identical Olympic white CBS Strat which Jimi used occasionally when his outfit benefitted a white guitar but from 1969 until his death he favored that black CBS Strat seen in his last photos.

I'm not as familiar about the Woodstock strat so my memory could be wrong but I've dug and read all I could on the "Black Beauty". Monika took it after Jimi passed, now it is rumored to be in her family's possession but everyone is denying to know where it is, well... The purple strap Jimi always used with it was with the guitar in the garden photos before his death and a time it was photographed after his death I think in the 90s, that strap leaked out onto eBay and is now owned by David Gilmour... the black Strat is kinda "missing" but it's pretty obvious who has it.

Black Beauty and the purple strap should be together, reunited and in a museum once in for all.

Ps. 37 likes this.
  13. groovenev

groovenev Member

Yes it does make mention, the first one was barrowed from Keith Richard without his knowing while on the road , Keith's at the time girlfriend took it from his hotel and gave it to Jimi.. LOL and the the other white one was on loan from the Isley Brothers, they gave it to him to entice him to joining the band.. then took it back when he quit... 'it's a great read'

Maggot Brain and Ps. 37 like this.
  14. Ps. 37

Ps. 37 Active Member

Thanks groovenev.:)

groovenev likes this.