If you run into one of these..grab it!

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by bobpick68, Nov 19, 2020.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

So for many years I flipped gear for extra money. I still flip gear here and there but it's more for fun and to pay for more gear lol.

I'd like to start a thread on amps that I guess are sleeper amps but not all sleepers are cheap or common. So that's the idea of this thread. Amps that are cheap and also killer! I will list some of the ones I have experienced below. Feel free to add to it and discuss. Doesn't have to be a tube amp but thats mostly what I will list.

Peavey Tube Vypyr's: If you can find em in good condition these things are outstanding sounding amps and I see them listed all the time for under 200 bucks.

Fender Pro Series Concert Reverb: My goodness. Why these never caught on is beyond me. Glassy Fender cleans on the clean channel and gain for days on the dirt channel. One of my biggest regrets that I sold off. Hard to find but when you do find one they are usually pretty cheap.

Marshall MA Series: Ok Ok this one..This was the 2nd time I bought one (paid like 150 for it at a GC) I spent a very frustrating weekend dialing it in and then it went in the closet. Splatty with odd sounding mids but loud AF. So I eventually swapped out a few pre tubes with some Tung sol's I had laying around and turned the gain way down and the volume up and voila it's a serviceable usable amp.

Peavey Again!: Peavey Vypyr 75 combo. I got one for 90 bucks and a Sanperra II pedal for another 50 and this thing for high gain and clean is monstrous for it's size. I use it mainly as a kick around practice amp but I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it if I needed a light grab n go amp for doing covers. I want to covert mine to a head and if I get the time some day Ima do it.

Line 6 Spyder Valve: I have 2 of them. The 2x12 combo and the 1x12 combo. The 1x12 is a MKI and the 2x12 a MKII. I honestly don't hear much of a difference between the 2 tone-wise. These are tricky to make sound good but they "can" sound great. I mostly use them as power amps for my Helix processor but there's some good tones in there by itself and for low low money. They come stock with V30.

Well there's a few I have experience with. What say you? I thought maybe this was redfundant with the sleeper amp thread but like I said not all sleepers are cheap.

2. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I have a Vypyr 15. I use it as a practice amp. Has some good tones in it. I've rehearsed with it and its pretty loud.

3. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Crate Stealth. Ultimate sleeper amp. Youtube has some great demos.

4. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

Peavey 6505 mh.....Mesa dual rec tones at a less than lunchbox head price.(yeah, you don't get the thump of the 6l6's but you do get all tube tone at a manageable volume).

5. LPMarshall hack

My first amp! Not sure why I ever got rid of it.

6. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

Sleeper amp? Got this from the dump. After a few hours and $20 in parts I realized I have amps that I have spent over a grand on and they don't even come close. Very addicting, I put it away but find myself thinking about it and once I start playing it I forget I own other amps.

simple 2 knobs and doesn't matter where you turn them, it just sounds great.

IMG_0636.jpg

jmp45, tce63, nickfox and 7 others like this.
  7. bobpick68

WOW! What is that?

tce63 likes this.
  8. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

An old stereo from ? I think the 50's? I did try and find some info a while ago. it was limited seems it was older than I was expecting. It is close to an old fender pro now. Clean and strong but hit the strings hard it goes into some great overdrive tones.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    tce63 and bobpick68 like this.
  9. WolandPetrov

WolandPetrov New Member

Oh yeah, man, I had the same emotions when I have bought Line 6 Spyder Valve, I know what you are talking about.

tce63, i3oosted and bobpick68 like this.
  10. LPMarshall hack

Clips!!!!

tce63 likes this.
  11. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

Peavey XXL
    Amazing tones and durability one the super cheap!
    Tons of variations on tone.
    Gain for days!
    It is heavy though.

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  12. bobpick68

Good call. I had one for awhile back in the day when I was in a Crossover Thrash band. Thick and creamy high gain tones and great cleans.

tce63 and Headache like this.
  13. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Actually the Peavey Valve King is pretty decent. 2 channel with a gain/volume boost, footswitchable.
    Not that loud but a really good little combo. Probably should have kept mine. 6L6.
    Tons of gain, sounds much better with a speaker change.

[​IMG]

tce63 and rick16v like this.
  14. bobpick68

Yup! I ran a Vintage 30 in mine and surprised a few people. Especially miced it sounded monstrous. I am hoping to run into a 2x12 version on the cheap.

tce63 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  15. Crunchifyable

Crunchifyable Well-Known Member

I hated the MA for basically not being a simplified JVM, having bought it not really knowing much about it other than it had a basic crunch. But as you said, it does have some surprisingly good sounds at lower gain levels especially through brighter pick ups. And it does IIRC have a nasty bright cap on the volume control of the OD channel. But its still a very difficult amp to sound good.

Best Sleeper? IMO Blackstar HT series, mainly talking about the 5s, maybe the 1s too. Lot of people say they are solid state. More like tube without tubes wasted (and crazy amounts of gain / boost via fets... basically like clean boosts before tube gain stages). I really like the "clean" channel, which is not 100% clean. Just a very raw grit. And the emulated output is actually quite good, and its stereo too (stereo reverb). People say its not an impulse, blah blah, but it sounds pretty close to the (greenbackish) speaker in the room.

Also the Peavey JSX / XXX II / Bugera 333XL. They are dialable to just about anything. Like dial the bass to the exact moment the cab gets involved at a given volume (any volume). Or dial the mids out or actively boosted. Or turn everything to 10 and its a BRIGHT amp. I can have my channels set up for a like a thrash metal on one dirt channel and a grindy, Sabbath / EVH style texture on the other. Sustain and compression are just unreal.

16. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Im hip, my buddy found this in a thrift for like 20 bux. It didnt have any tubes, needed a pot and cord, it's been great for years. It needs some caps now though, no big. 20201121_142442.jpg

South Park, jmp45, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I had a V30 in mine too. I puzzle why I sold it. I believe it was because I wanted a Marshall 1x12. Got a 40C. Was really good but not near enough gain for channel 1 so I always had to ise an OD.
    Came across a 6101, the 6100 30th Ann in a 1x12 form so the 40C was pointless.
    Now I use a Katana for rehearsal as it is small, light, sounds decent and versatile.
    Still, a VK 112 would cover what I need for rehearsals had I kept it.

tce63 likes this.
  18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

19. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

Sovtek MIG100 - big phat JCM800 tones but with a nicer clean tone if you dial down the gain.

The downside is that they have behemoth transformers in them and therefore weigh a soviet tonne..

tce63 likes this.
  20. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I have read that they have crappy pots, and it seems like there were some other issues that need to be addressed but I don't remember what they are.

tce63 likes this.