If i need to change my amp!!!

Bobwill

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am very new to anything amp wise having purchased an MG100HCFX at the beginning of June and from day one I had issues with it. The problem is a fault on the amp which comes and goes it is something I cant live with and why should I its a new amp it should work fine.
Having taken it back to the dealer, a discussion with him I agreed to it being sent back to Marshall for repair, dealer has no stock of the MG100HCFX so could not just replace.
The amp has been with Marshall a while now if it returns fixed I will be more than satisfied as when it was working correctly I liked the amp.
Now if I have to select a replacement amp and its from my local dealers stock what are your thoughts on this marriage a Marshall Class 5 Roulette with a Mooer black truck pedal.
The amp will be used at home only and 90% of the time with headphones.
I did not really want pedals when I purchased the MG100HCFX it had the effects I wanted built in except for a looper which I purchased at the time.
I know this is a change of direction but my choice may be limited to what the the dealer has in stock.
The dealer has loaned me a Fender GT40 and I hate it. Agreed it doesn't play up it works fine but all these menus link it to a phone or computer not at all what I want.
Just a few knobs and buttons I know where I am with them, get the computer involved and I will spend more time searching for a sound than playing a tune.

houseofrock

Reaction score
Anderson's delivers. If you are not happy with your sevice but are happy with your amp choice take yours back for a refund. Then order from Anderton's. They deliver.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on this marriage a Marshall Class 5 Roulette with a Mooer black truck pedal.
Class5 will get you the "tube amp" tone in a low watt package for home use.
Just a volume / BMT amp so any kind of overdrive tone is going to need a lot of volume.
I've no personal experience with this amp, but general consensus on Marshall emulated headphone outputs is "meh..".
I do have an MG15CFX that is currently disembodied, and I'm/was in no way impressed with it.
The Mooer pedal combo would give you all the extras that you're getting from the MG built in effects.
For the price of both, there are probably better options, but as you say, you're limited to what's at the local shop (not sure why).

Bobwill

Reaction score
I would like to give my custom to my local dealer only because he has looked after me with the equipment I have currently had from him but no other reason. My current thoughts on a replacement will be a stretch cost wise so I do need it to be a good match for home use, headphones and no computer menus just simple.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to give my custom to my local dealer only because he has looked after me with the equipment I have currently had from him but no other reason. My current thoughts on a replacement will be a stretch cost wise so I do need it to be a good match for home use, headphones and no computer menus just simple.
Your loyalty is admirable.
Get your MG back and look for something out there in the rest of the world that you really want, and have your local guy order it for you.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you’re playing 90% of the time with headphones, I’d suggest a Bugera G5 Infinium. Unlike every Marshall e-out I’ve tried the G5 e-out is excellent!

It has a choice of 2-12 or 4-12 simulated cabs and it really does sound great, best e-out I’ve ever used. I use mine for silent recording or late night playing with headphones.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am very new to anything amp wise having purchased an MG100HCFX at the beginning of June and from day one I had issues with it. The problem is a fault on the amp which comes and goes it is something I cant live with and why should I its a new amp it should work fine.
Having taken it back to the dealer, a discussion with him I agreed to it being sent back to Marshall for repair, dealer has no stock of the MG100HCFX so could not just replace.
The amp has been with Marshall a while now if it returns fixed I will be more than satisfied as when it was working correctly I liked the amp.
Now if I have to select a replacement amp and its from my local dealers stock what are your thoughts on this marriage a Marshall Class 5 Roulette with a Mooer black truck pedal.
The amp will be used at home only and 90% of the time with headphones.
I did not really want pedals when I purchased the MG100HCFX it had the effects I wanted built in except for a looper which I purchased at the time.
I know this is a change of direction but my choice may be limited to what the the dealer has in stock.
The dealer has loaned me a Fender GT40 and I hate it. Agreed it doesn't play up it works fine but all these menus link it to a phone or computer not at all what I want.
Just a few knobs and buttons I know where I am with them, get the computer involved and I will spend more time searching for a sound than playing a tune.
See if he has an MG50 combo.

Bobwill

Reaction score
Just a quick update.
It turned out the amp had an harness fault, the harness was replaced by Marshall. It is now working with no irritating intermittent changes. What turned out to be the OD channel switching on and off.
The amp was with Marshall for three weeks understandable in the current climate of covid but nonetheless I am now very happy with the outcome.
Bobwill

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Just a quick update.
It turned out the amp had an harness fault, the harness was replaced by Marshall. It is now working with no irritating intermittent changes. What turned out to be the OD channel switching on and off.
The amp was with Marshall for three weeks understandable in the current climate of vivid but nonetheless I am now very happy with the outcome.
Bobwill

well happy newly repaired amp day.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update.
The amp was with Marshall for three weeks understandable in the current climate of vivid but nonetheless I am now very happy with the outcome.
Bobwill
Welcome to the forum
Glad you got your amp back and in the shape it was supposed to be in from the beginning !!
Rock on bro.
Cheers
Mitch

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I have the MG 100, 50 and 30, (long story), and at least one of them has and issue that I think has something to do with software bugs. It just kinda spaces out once in a while and sounds horrible. Effects may be involved but I can't remember. I had to "reboot" it. Maybe they are all like this ...not sure. These are all brand new too, not used or abused.

There are other amps you would like better, I'm sure.

Bobwill

Reaction score
I have the MG 100, 50 and 30, (long story), and at least one of them has and issue that I think has something to do with software bugs. It just kinda spaces out once in a while and sounds horrible. Effects may be involved but I can't remember. I had to "reboot" it. Maybe they are all like this ...not sure. These are all brand new too, not used or abused.

There are other amps you would like better, I'm sure.
sapient,
My amp after the repair sounds so different like a different model.
The service report says fault with wiring harness, well a major improvement all-round. Now a happy bunny.
Bobwill

pedecamp

Reaction score
Just a quick update.
Bobwill
Dont forget to wipe off any Marshall factory covid with alcohol wipes. Congrats on the new fixed amp! :yesway:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Bobwill
FIRST> :welcome: to the forum!
A little late to the party, with amp problem already cured, but...... an observation, if you will. If the local "dealer" has the means to send the amp to and from Marshall for repair, they certainly have had the means to order another amp from them (warranty or not), but for some reason did not seem to want to be be bothered to do so! While I applaud and can appreciate your sense of loyalty, this vendor does not appear to be giving you the same in return! Except for convenience (a quick string, picks, or such), I would not continue to show them the same loyalty, especially for any larger purchases!
Just My $.02,
Gene

FutureProf88

Reaction score
@Bobwill welcome to the forum and glad you got your amp sorted out!

As far as the headphone out on the Class 5... IMO it is one of the less worthwhile features ever put on an amp. I have a C5 and I really like it, but its headphone output is obnoxiously loud and the headphone out is most useful to do the "headphone trick" of plugging it in to an external cabinet - Google search "class 5 headphone trick" and you'll find how to do this. It works well and actually sounds pretty good.

That being said, I have a previous generation MG100HDFX and one of the reasons I keep it is for the headphone out. I think that the MG emulated outputs sound great. Getting that amp repaired was probably your best choice!

Latest posts