>

Identity of 1973 Marshall cab?!?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by FogDweller, Aug 10, 2021.

1. FogDweller

FogDweller Well-Known Member

F4AB39A7-3DA8-4845-94F6-C797D2BC523F.png E3126E50-97AE-4EF3-82F4-77C769D2B78D.png
    E10FD84A-D552-4B0F-A4B1-4085D911B7C5.png I bought this 4x12 unloaded cabinet last night for $299. It was listed as a “1973 1960” model cab. But looking at it, and it appears it may be a bass cabinet. There are screws for corner protectors.

Two questions:

-Is this a 1960B or 1982 model?
    -Are the dimensions of the 1982s different than the 1960s?

It comes with its original casters.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

What makes you think it's a cab for Bass?
    All cabs same size.
    Early 70's cabs, 1960B no logo on grill top left
    1935B ''Bass'' top left
    1982B ''100'' top left
    All sound good with guitar or Bass, but you need speakers obviously.

Torren61, neikeel and FogDweller like this.
  3. FogDweller

There had been corner protectors on the cab (screws still there), and I understand that the bass cabinets had those starting in 1973. Also, I found out after I purchased it that the same seller has Celestion G12M T1511 55hz for sale that I believe were in the cab. I could be wrong, but I thought those speakers were typically used in bass cabinets.

As long as it’s the same size as the guitar version it doesn’t matter to me.

Seanxk likes this.
  4. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Sounds like a 1935 then, I'm not sure how long the extra logos were carried, does it have holes up left.

5. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Bass players aren't as rough as people think, we're a nice bunch really.

Torren61 and FogDweller like this.
  6. FogDweller

It looks like the corner protectors were also installed on the Marshall guitar cabs by either late 72 or early 73. Anyway, I guess it doesn’t really matter much whether it’s a bass or guitar cab. Thanks for your help.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The T1511s are excellent speakers for guitar and bass, if the price is sensible, they are in good condition with original cones grab them quick! Don't argue just do it!
    I have a quad that I spilt and use x2 with x2 T1221s in a basket weave B cab and the others in a basketweave A cab.

Torren61 and FogDweller like this.
  8. FogDweller

T
    The seller is asking $1,200 for the quad. “Original Ric cone” and “tested and functional,” according to the seller.

I have a 1976 1960A with Blackbacks, but I had intended to put less expensive speakers in this B cabinet.

9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Good a place to ask and learn as any: What year did Marshall start using the plastic cup handles?

10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Probably should wait for Bygone Tones but the plastic handles came in 71/72 changeover, at least in the UK, around the time they stopped basketweave and the particle board rear baffles happened and the corner protectors arrived too. Bronze and black Homa casters this era too

FogDweller likes this.
  11. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

RIC cones would make it late 73 or 74. They do sound different to the pulsonics. Not everyones cup of tea, but I like them.

Plastic handles came in mid to late 71. We've had this discussion on here before. 71 was an oddball year. There is a gap between April 71 and July 71 where no Celestion greenbacks seem to have been made. You just never see them. That makes dating the Marshall cabs from that period more difficult because there was a lot of transitional stuff going on at that same time. They'll either have DD codes or GD / HD codes when you are trying to pinpoint those transitions (basketweave to check, plast handles to metal).

The plastic corners came later, around mid to late 72.

12. FogDweller

Thanks. This advertised as a 1973 seems about right, then.

13. FogDweller

Thanks, as always, Neil.

14. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

My main cab since 1974-ish is a 1960B (I think) straight 4x12 with Rola Celestion, G12M/25watt/16 ohm/75 hz/T1221/EE date code speakers. There is a space between the EE and a number 5 and that is all on that line of text. I'm assuming May of 1972 and possibly the 5th of that month (for the speakers anyway) and likely a week or several later for the cabinet? The reason I think the model is 1960B is because of the four matching speakers!

The cabinet has large check cloth, plastic top cups and riveted plastic handles! There are no corner protectors and has never had them. It looked nearly new when I got it with 3 casters, but iron threaded caster cups with a broken caster screw in one of them. It spent most of its life being dragged around using the cups as glides! :eek: This cabinet is my "litmus test" for all amplifiers, head or combo, that roll through my universe!

And no, the cabinet has not been in a flood, but the staining on the lower few inches is from years of being transported without a cover in rainy, snowy and other conditions, along with occasional, obligatory beverage accidents, etc, ad nauseam! :naughty:

Hope This Helps?
    Gene

IMG_2070.jpg

BygoneTones and FogDweller like this.
  15. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Nice cab. Honest road wear gives them 'mojo'. It's likely an 'S' rather than a '5', just an inspection letter, rather than the day of the month. They stopped adding the day of the month to the date codes through most of 72, don't know why.

Cab could have been made several months before or after the speakers. Or anywhere inbetween. I've found original speakers that were months apart in cabs so who knows when they were really made.

VERVEHAMMER likes this.
  16. VERVEHAMMER

VERVEHAMMER Member

Very Bitchin!

Just my Opinion....

Everyone has a style, and here's mine.

If it came home with me...it may get a new OEM speaker jack and artificially aged Marshall Logo. (I think Jim would approve) : )

I was referring to the cab in the pig setup.

The unloaded one is killer.

Enjoy it your way, you scored!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    FogDweller likes this.
  17. Gene Ballzz

And oh yeah @FogDweller , I forgot to ask/mention, is the back panel plywood or particle board? Mine is particle board, but have considered swapping to ply, but.......... Mine is by far the best sounding I've ever plugged into and my experience tells me that the "B" boxes are better that the "A" in multiple ways. Given that, I'm not sure why you'd want your less preferred speakers in this "B" cabinet. I'd likely go the opposite direction!
    Just Braggin'
    Gene

18. FogDweller

It’s a particle board/MDF back. I’m going to put WGS speakers in it, which are $109 each.

However, if you’d like to wire me $1,300, I’ll be more than glad to purchase the original gray back Celestions that came in this very cab.

19. Gene Ballzz

:rofl:Ha ha, now you funny too! :lol: :p I guess my point was that if I really liked those "Blackbacks" I'd swap them to this box and put those WGS in the slant box. But you'll probably like those WGS speakers just fine, depending on the model! Again, there are multiple reasons that I feel the straight boxes are better! All four speakers pointing the same direction, on the same plane, instead of being a few degrees out of phase between top and bottom is just one of those reasons! :duel: To each his own though!
    Just Speakin'
    Gene

Stephen H likes this.
  20. FogDweller

UPDATE: After a couple of ridiculous hassles the cab is finally complete. As I mentioned in another thread, one of the four G12H30s I purchased arrived with a bent frame and coil rub. It was packaged poorly.

Instead of buying another G12H30 to replace it, I bought 2 new G12Ms and put them on top and put two 2 G12H30s on the bottom. Fantastic combination. Very balanced. (I’ll probably sell the third G12H30.)

Also previously mentioned, I had to buy the correct 2BA screws and washers to mount the speakers (Not easily found in the United States), and a new set of Phillips head screws for the back panel.

Ray Baker and Torren61 like this.