Ibanez TS10

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by SkyMonkey, Dec 7, 2021.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

fitz288 and Sapient like this.
  2. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

They weren't cheaply built at all. The proof is that the still exist and work.

The problem was they changed the formula and didn't sound the same.

Like New Coke.

SkyMonkey and ricksdisconnected like this.
  4. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure you've seen the all steel TS-9 that was the previous model to this, and would be disappointed by the differences.
    They probably did have a lot of durability problems since they returned to the all steel again. Once a company goes
    "cheap" it's next to never that they go the other way again. They did, and you know why.

:yesway:

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

If memory serves me right, the metal ones and the plastic ones were available at the same time. The plastic ones a less expensive option of course. This version isn't the ultra cheap soundtank version.

There's alot of the old plastic housed effects still around. Not only tube screamers, but lots of old Arion pedals as well (Chorus and analog delay are some of the best imo) kinda makes be think they were, and are plenty durable.

My buddy still has my old Arion Delay pedal I bought new in like 83 I think. That thing has been gigged to death, thrown in and out of milk crates, dropped, rained on..you name it, and it has never failed. It was the cheapest delay pedal on the market back then. Excellent delay btw, with stereo outputs.

6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The old tube screamers had a op amp you can’t get anymore . Other op amp chips don’t have the same sound

SkyMonkey likes this.
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

My TS-10 works fine...

They have even less sonic range than a TS-9, but are still pretty cool

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Arion was everywhere back in the day. i bet i know the delay your talking about. went through a battery ever 2 damn days too.
    yep they were plastic but seem to have been built from a better plastic than todays pedals. i know mine got kicked around
    out of aggression due to its battery guzzling. stepped on full force from being to drunk, and still gave it back like day 1.
    oh and lived at the 9ft mark of the swimming pool for about 12 hrs before found. sure they were pedals but budget ment something a little different than what we get today.

SkyMonkey and Drinkingdeath01 like this.
  9. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

Never had a TS-10, but I had a whole board of Arion pedals for the L7 back in college.
    Once I got the rockman, I sold them all and bought a big bag of... um... fritos.

10. ricksdisconnected

loved my rockman. first one i ever saw i bought it on the spot.
    would love to try one with todays quality headphones.

SkyMonkey and fitz288 like this.
  11. ricksdisconnected

as for if these are quality pedals i cant answer. i dont think ive ever owned a TS but i might have
    at one point. i seem to remember a green pedal at some point. if i did it got gone rather quickly.
    back in the day i wasnt a tube screamer guy and it would have had no place in my gear trove.
    today is a different story. i would like to start with a 808 and work my way through the ranks up to this
    one. a lot of the tones i now like and a few i did over the yrs where all TS as i understand it.

went and saw Ana Popovic a few yrs back. great guitar player. she had a tone that blew my mind.
    so crisp, so clean overdriven. after the show i caught up with her. i asked he what was her dirt on
    tonights performance. she told me right away Tube Screamer. straight in to fender amps. i dont
    recall if they were twins or what. if i could have put that tone in a bottle i could sell it by the sniff
    i promise you.

SkyMonkey likes this.