Ibanez Re-releases Rg550 And Rg570

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by saxon68, Jan 18, 2018.

1. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

made in Japan, original edge trem, super wizard 5 piece neck. $999 US.

I’ll be getting a 570, sold a 1992 470, close to the same specs, to finance my move to Virginia in 2010.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Good news! I haven't been able to play a 570 but had a 1570 which was nothing short of stellar. The newer 652 series prestige models are nice but they're not quite what the older ones were. Hopefully these new models will live up to their reputation.

3. saxon68

Fret edges are getting prestige treatment they said. Pickups are now direct mounted instead of ring, and the necks are now 5 piece instead of one. All the changes are improvements. And they kept the original edge trem, which in my opinion is the best floyd, period.

Springfield Scooter and BowerR64 like this.
  4. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Educate me please!......How/why is a direct mounted pickup, better than a ring mount?

I have an original RG570, and love the 3pc. wizzard neck.

I have to wonder if the 5 pc. neck would be an improvement???

Also hope for more RG570 colors besides Black and Blue!

saxon68 likes this.
  5. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

My only issue with ibbys ( and I own 5, an rg4ex1 from 2007, an rg iron label, an rga t62, an arz iron label, and a 25th anniversary s model in neon green) is there choices of finishes. Too many blue guitars and too many flat finishes. I would love to see more natural or blonde natural guitars. As far as pups mounted to the body directly, it is my understanding that they sustain a bit more and pick up more of the body resonance. I too love the older edge trem bridges. My rg4ex1 has one. I picked up this guitar used for 200 bucks popped in some dimarzios, had it set up real nice and it plays as well aas any guitar I have ever owned. I look forward to seeing these new guitars and hearing what you guys think. That said, it may be time for a new ibby!

6. saxon68

Looks like 570 only gets 2 colors and 550 has 4. My 470 was jewel blue so it’s all good to me :)

7. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

I like the new Ibanez AZ242F with the roasted maple neck. And that 10 way pu selection. I am considering the Charvel pro mod and the 550' which one is better. The pro mods get great reviews.

8. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

These new re releases are going for $999.00. I'm sure they sound and play great but again my issue is with the finishes. I have an RGAT62 which is in blue with a flat finish and I love the guitar as it plays great and came loaded with tone zone and air norton dimarzios not to mention it cost me under $600. Just not all that keen on the finish. Also ibby has some guitars now in exotic woods colors which is kinda cool but they tend to look like stained unfinished wood. If I decide to buy one of these new ibbys it will probably be in red and with a hard tail instead of a trem as I really don't use the trems on my guitars that have them.

9. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Old thread I know, but I picked up a old 1999 RG570 at a pawn shop on the rough side of town, for 308.00 , and put about 60 bucks into it for a brass block, and updated trem posts.
    I had a SD Distortion I installed and after getting it all set up, it is a great stable guitar.
    The neck and Original Edge tremolo looked almost brand new.
    The color looks nice in person, but not so much in pictures, it's "Sour Apple Sparkle"
    mij 1997-2002