I Saw Slayer On Friday And I Am Still Deaf

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, May 20, 2019.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

It was an amazing show. Cannibal Corpse was up first. Amon amarth and Lamb of God followed. The sound was really good until Slayer took the stage. Slayer was at least twice as loud as the other bands. Cannibal Corpse was running their Mesas and Amon Amarth was using Kempers direct. I think Lamb of God was either using a Kemper or had some amps and iso cabs off stage. I guess when you have 6 Marshalls running balls out there isn't much that can touch that kind of volume. Kerry was running three of his sig heads and Holt had three Jubilees. Both were using their Marshall mode 4 cabs. Anyone seen them live lately and live to tell the tell.

Attached Files:

2. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Dude nice! I saw them last August with LoG, Anthrax, Testament and Napalm Death. Was fucking awesome. Barely survived lol. We were right up at the stage, front and center. The crowd was like being in the sea. If they all swept one way, you're going with. If they went the other, there was nothing you could do to fight it, you were going too. The crowd would surge to and fro and you were just caught up in it. Was pretty fucking crazy.

I do remember making a comment on our way out of there to my buddies how I felt a bit shellshocked after the show.

Next time I see Slayer, I'm wearing my boots. I wore my Chuck T's to the show and my feet got stomped on a lot.

JacksonCharvelAddict and LRT#1 like this.
  3. JacksonCharvelAddict

I really wanted to go to that tour. My job made me miss it and then I heard Slayer was retiring so I was super bummed. When I heard they were playing here again my wife made me buy tickets. I wish I could have seen them with Anthrax and Napalm Death but I was really blown away by the lineup on friday. I think Lamb of God sounds way better live than on the records. Some drunk girls thought I was the singer of Cannibal Corpse when I was walking around the vendor area. They were wanting to get pictures and autographs. It was pretty funny. Wife wasn't too thrilled about that part..LOL

4. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I am slightly ashamed to admit that before 2017 I had never seen them. I'll be going to my 5th show in Camden on Friday.
    I literally had ZERO idea that there were bands left that were so completely comitted to volume. I had no idea a band could have such an excellent sound at those sound pressure levels.
    By far and away the best shit I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of shows. I somehow wish everyone I know regardless of background or culture could see them live. If they really are calling it quits, that's a sad day for all music because in my estimation there is no other band with 1/10 the balls that they have. And I saw Pantera, and Sepultura, and Megadeth, and Maiden and King Diamond all waaayy back in the day. Again, If I had ANY idea how unbelievable they were live, this Friday would be my 50th show. I really think their sound is excellent and not excessive. I remember all the shows in the 80's where you literally couldn't hear jack after the first 3 songs. They did a rig rundown with Holt, King, and Araya and it's pretty interesting.

From what I remember seeing When LoG headlined in NYC a couple years back, it looked like Mark Morton had one half stack rig on stage and another off stage. I was pretty amazed at the moderate stage volume at that particular venue, and it seems like that's how things have been heading for the last 10 or 20 years. A major contrast to Slayer coming out and ripping everyone's head off.

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

6. JacksonCharvelAddict

As much as I love hearing real Marshalls blasting full tilt it was definitely painful after a while. This was a large outdoor venue too and they blew my head off. Cannibal Corpse had at least three Mesa Triple Rectifier stacks and their volume was less than half of what Slayer was. I think part of it is that Marshalls just cut like a knife on stage. That mid range really carries. It also doesn't hurt that they are running three heads each. My wife was shocked that Gary Holt had three Jubilees because she knows how loud I get just one stack..LOL

7. JacksonCharvelAddict

My favorite part of the show was that as you walked around people would randomly yell "SLAYER" or "Fucking Slayer" Even when I was in the bathroom someone yelled it and you have to yell it back because it's fucking Slayer.

8. mcblink

Every time.

"FUCKKINN SLAYYYYEERRRRR!"

9. Im247frogs

I have to say that their sound was way better at Jones Beach Theater than at the Toronto Bud Light Stage. It seems (and I could be wrong about this, because the venues seem nearly identical, the ubiquitous 16,000 seat tented amphitheater) that the mains were flown quite a bit higher, and right on the barrier in front of Holt a little bit of high end and separation was lost.
    The thing that amazes me, and I'm guessing this has to do with the way King and Holt leapfrog their cabinets, is how distinct and well separated the guitar sounds are.
    Can't wait.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  10. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Have to say slayer at pain in the grass was the best show I've been to. The energy of the pit was like none other.

11. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

20190521_193416.jpg

Here is a pic from the show last August 24th

12. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have heard Kerry King say that the material the new stages are made out of hurts his tone. He said it's like the material absorbs the mids and makes it sound boomy. Here in the show i saw he had a fat bottom end tone but the mids were weak. Holt's jubilees filled out the missing mids perfectly though.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Im247frogs

[​IMG]Tom Araya wants YOU. To see Slayer on this tour.

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

Nice pic. Is that an outdoor venue? I would think they would be insanely loud inside a building.

LRT#1 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Not much to contribute here on my end other than “apparently some things never change.”
    I went to a ton of metal shows when I was in high school in the mid-late 80’s. I still say to this day the loudest show I ever attended was Slayer and Motörhead at first avenue in minneapolis. South of heaven tour.

16. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Holly Hobby is more metal than Slayer, and four out of five of Kerry King’s multiple personalities agree with me, too.

Just ask Kerry. Or Holly.

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

They seem to be one of the last bands dedicated to running Marshalls as loud as possible. Strangely enough my ears didn't hurt after the Slayer show but they did after a service at a small church in northern Iowa. I went up there for a family reunion and this small church had this massive PA that was sitting right next to the seats. It was so loud that my Great Aunt took out her hearing aid and still complained of ear pain for days afterwards. Just in case you were wondering the music at the church was even shittier than normal church music too.

Phony iommi likes this.
  18. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

I saw Slayer last summer with Anthrax, Testament, someone else, and Lamb of God.

TBH LoG put on the better show and were just as loud as Slayer but the sound quality was much cleaner. Slayer was like ice picks every now and then. Both were loud as fuck, loudest thing I've ever seen at the venue which was Walmart's amphitheater in Bentonville, AR. Slayer put on a great show though.

Tbh the amps used or how many don't really matter a ton unless you're right down in front or them, it all comes down to the PA. It's standard practice to try to make opening acts sound quieter than the headliner.

19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I read an interview long ago with Steve Harris and he was talking about how allot of bands deliberately give the opener a shitty sound mix and very little power. He reiterated that Maiden of course won't give the opener as much power as they will use but he said that they give them a really good mix because if the opener sounds better than they do they aren't doing their jobs.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. mcblink

I know that Kerry is an asshole, but that's about the only personality of his I've ever heard of or seen