I need some stuff for an incoming SG

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jvm210guy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I have an SG heading my way. It's just the husk of the guitar, so I'm building it up through the hardware.

I'm looking for medium output, and not really too interested in "boutique". Unless, I could find something reasonably priced. I'm fimiliar with Gibson Pickups, and my favorite pair so far are the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's. but again, I'm looking for medium output. I'm thinking Pearly Gate's?

Anyway I'm also going to add coil splitting functionality. All the hardware, including tuners, will be nickel. I'll be adding updates here including pics so stay tuned. How about a bigsby? Ya stay tuned, pls add your suggestions..

Btw, it's a standard 05'...

2. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

If I had an SG I would slap some Tony Iommi pickups!

For medium output 490R/490T?

chuckharmonjr likes this.
  3. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Cool, I think I had the 490r/t in my 03' LP standard..

Anyone try pearly gates on an SG?

4. Phildog

Phildog Active Member

Don't sleep on GFS pickups. I installed a set of Vintage 59's into my SG G400 and won't be taking them out anytime soon. Take a listen...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7NIrmHkF8]Custom SG with GFS Vintage '59 Alnico Pickups - YouTube[/ame]

jvm210guy likes this.
  5. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Sounds fantastic! Seriously, really nice.. So I'm guessing GFS has a website?? I'll check them out..

6. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Congrats! What's with all the stripped SG's on ebay?I saw a bunch for sale minus all the hardware.....I have the 490,in the special.it sounds good,but,I had a 498t,that to my memory sounded just right.

7. peterichardz

peterichardz Well-Known Member

If you search.....Gibson body neck.......you will find a LOT of parted out Gibsons!

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I like the Gibson Classic 57 and Classic 57+ in an SG. I put the + in my bridge and at some point will replace neck with a 57. These come stock in the 61' SG RI so go try before you buy. Makes it real easy to know what your getting, I hate surprises when it comes to tone. The Duncans and Dimarzios are much more affordable (I'm all about saving money) as long as you know what they will sound like otherwise you can be out money cuz you didnt like them. Oh and another thing about hardware, nickel really corrodes and turns green and crusty fast so be sure thats what you want your guitar to look like. My SG has all chrome hardware and looks alot cleaner and nicer IMO than my LP with nickel hardware, but then my LP is a 57' RI so I guess its supposed to look like that.

jvm210guy likes this.
  9. Soulforger

Soulforger Active Member

I had a set of aged cover Dimarzio 36th anniversary PAFs in an SG and they were absolutely fantastic, also maybe a set of Seymour 59's with 4 cond. wire for splitting. Pearly Gates are my fave humbucker in a Strat type but never had them in an SG. Don't forget the Gibson Burstbucker Pro, these are also superb in an SG!

jvm210guy likes this.
  10. fstrat59slp

fstrat59slp New Member

idk the standard 490r,498t sound good to me in my sg not over the top but not week either. the new standards have the classic 57's in them, that could be a possibility for you?

11. fstrat59slp

fstrat59slp New Member

:yesway: Congrats btw, I hope you and this sg get along well together bud.

jvm210guy likes this.
  12. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Active Member

Congrats!

:hmm: '05 Standard so it needs a batwing pick guard. I have a '07 Std and it currently has the Angus Young signature as the bridge pup and I'm planning to put a Pearly Gates to the neck position. I do like the original 490R but I have the same in two other guitars so there is too much overlapping. However I'm also planning to get an extra batwing because I would like to have also the pick up rings to get the pup levelled with the strings (not in an angle as they are normally). I don't want to mod the original pick guard so that is why I'm after an aftermarket one.

And of course the 57/57 Classic is the classic, I really like thet combo on an SG.

jvm210guy likes this.
  13. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

Ya I am too familiar with 57's, and I'd like to try something different. Maybe the 490's, but I'd like to try something other than Gibson. I want to be a ble to get a good "stoner rock" tone out of it, not that I really play that type of music, but variety is the spice of life and what not

Guys, I've also been looking for a Maestro/Lyre type of long tailpiece system. The only thing I can find are from the allparts website. Any suggestion on that would be appreciated! Some people said the allparts version doesn't fit well. Some people said it does and I could get it engraved.... So ya.. Let me know what you think..

14. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Well-Known Member

I have two SGs in my possession right now: a 2013 Gibson SG Standard and a 2012 Gibson SG Special Faded. The Standard has the dual '57 Classics. The Special has the 490R/490T combo. They sound quite different. In fact, I think I prefer the sound of the Special.

I could do an A/B comparison for you if you'd like.

jvm210guy and Susihukkanen like this.
  15. Susihukkanen

Yes please!

16. Susihukkanen

Also a valid option is the P-90 in humbucker size = P-94..

Dave666 and jvm210guy like this.
  17. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

FF, yes that would be appreciated.

I was actually thinking of putting a p90 in there, in fact I may just do that for the neck...

18. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

yeah they're great man. like a Duncan 59 but a little hotter and somehow sweeter imo. they have a glassier top end and a thicker low end as well as a scosch more upper mids to my ears (what they ACTUALLY have I don't know lol) but yeah they sound great in an SG.

jvm210guy likes this.
  19. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

and yeah I don't mind the 490's but I think the pearly gates will be a favored tone for you. I know I like them better in general. the 490T is nice though especially considering it's a "no one wants these ****in' things" pickup. but I thnk the pearly gates will make you smile.

jvm210guy likes this.
  20. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

My mind right now is set on a p90 type pickup on the neck. So, maybe a pearly gates on my bridge will make for an interesting combo? I'm getting excited... Still looking on a lyre/maestro type tailpiece system. I may even settle for a bigsby.... I just want it to be off the chain, look and play a little different...

In fact the p90 on the neck should get me those stoner rock tones I want... !!!

diesect20022000 likes this.