I love CHEAP (REALLY CHEAP) guitars!

lespaul339

Reaction score
In 78 someone got my 67 ES355, 71 Deluxe, 60 Jr and 59 Bassman, no insurance, just about killed me. I had no money to replace the stuff so I gave it up for a very long time.
Over the last 20 years or so been slowly, picking up good stuff but they don't leave the house. If I'm playing out I have other good great playing gear that goes with me, not as big of a loss if the stuff gets away from me.

I really hate thieves!!!

Oh man, I'm sorry hear that! That was some great gear you had there. Thieves suck!

speyfly

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm sorry hear that! That was some great gear you had there. Thieves suck!

Yeah, the Bassman and LP Jr. were gifted to me when I was 13 (65) by a friend of my parents. My family was poor back then and could not afford anything. I was playing an old beat up Regal guitar, my dads friend said I had a real yearning to play guitar so he gave the duo to me, changing my life for ever. The 71 Deluxe I bought new, $400 was a ton of money back them and after seeing Freddie King playing great blues in 73 I had to buy the ES. The shop in Dallas had a used Cherry for $400 so I gave them $100 to hold it and 3 weeks later it became mine. At that time I only made about $1000 a month including tips bar tending in a local blues club.

Really miss those girls!

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Gotta give them credit, Ibanez doesn't make any bad guitars! Whether it's the most expensive JEM model they make, or a very basic student guitar, the quality is there. Fretwork, action, and setup are always great. Neck shapes are always the same for a given type, and it's always a comfortable neck.
Bullcrap. I have had to do fretwork on entry model Ibanez that were brand new, along with full set-up because the action was atrocious, intonation was off, the relief was either too convex or too concave, and there are scores of people who find the Wizard profile to be uncomfortable. Minor and easy stuff to correct but still present in SOME.

That said, overall Ibanez DOES make a fine product/value in all ranges...but to say the frets, action, & setup are always great in their more affordable offerings is just flat wrong.

To be fair I've done the same work to brand new Fender, Gibson, and other manufacturers brand new guitars.

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with you StrummerJoe.

"I have had to do fretwork on entry model Ibanez that were brand new, along with full set-up because the action was atrocious, intonation was off, the relief was either too convex or too concave, and there are scores of people who find the Wizard profile to be uncomfortable. Minor and easy stuff to correct but still present in SOME."

When I speak of (just my opinion) quality control it's about the build. I fully expect to do a setup on any guitar I buy new including the expensive ones and a full dress as well on the inexpensive models. Quality of materials use to produce guitars very from manufactures of all stripes but Ibanez has been very consistent providing a good quality entry-level instrument. To me, setup is separate from build quality and quality control. Don't think the lower price folks will pay for the extra TLC to receive a near perfect guitar right out of the box. :)

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Bullcrap. I have had to do fretwork on entry model Ibanez that were brand new, along with full set-up because the action was atrocious, intonation was off, the relief was either too convex or too concave, and there are scores of people who find the Wizard profile to be uncomfortable. Minor and easy stuff to correct but still present in SOME.

That said, overall Ibanez DOES make a fine product/value in all ranges...but to say the frets, action, & setup are always great in their more affordable offerings is just flat wrong.

To be fair I've done the same work to brand new Fender, Gibson, and other manufacturers brand new guitars.

damn it man. yeah they might not be op notch but good bang for the price range
from my experiences. i mean your not gonna get Prestige fret work on the budget models no.
ibanez cant afford to do that.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
there are scores of people who find the Wizard profile to be uncomfortable.

who the hell.........
3911880-simpsons-angry-m.jpg

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
damn it man. yeah they might not be op notch but good bang for the price range
from my experiences. i mean your not gonna get Prestige fret work on the budget models no.
ibanez cant afford to do that.
100%. I completely agree & understand that. Someone else claimed otherwise.

I think Ibanez is a great company. They make an outstanding product. Dave Bunker Sr (RIP, my mentor & friend) ghost built the Ibanez USRG30 guitars and the award winning USATK basses for Ibanez in the mid 90's.

I have owned a few Ibanez guitars and liked them all. That doesn't mean " Ibanez doesn't make any bad guitars! Whether it's the most expensive JEM model they make, or a very basic student guitar, the quality is there. Fretwork, action, and setup are always great. Neck shapes are always the same for a given type, and it's always a comfortable neck." That is what I was responding to.

I regret ever selling my own USARG30. Luckily I still have a Bunker MVP & BAT.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with you StrummerJoe.

"I have had to do fretwork on entry model Ibanez that were brand new, along with full set-up because the action was atrocious, intonation was off, the relief was either too convex or too concave, and there are scores of people who find the Wizard profile to be uncomfortable. Minor and easy stuff to correct but still present in SOME."

When I speak of (just my opinion) quality control it's about the build. I fully expect to do a setup on any guitar I buy new including the expensive ones and a full dress as well on the inexpensive models. Quality of materials use to produce guitars very from manufactures of all stripes but Ibanez has been very consistent providing a good quality entry-level instrument. To me, setup is separate from build quality and quality control. Don't think the lower price folks will pay for the extra TLC to receive a near perfect guitar right out of the box. :)
Actually, you just agreed with me. :cheers:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ultimate “Really cheap” guitar brand that makes “good” guitars has got to be Harley Benton guitars. Thomann of Germany house brand.

I bought a Tele copy for $85, I was planning to upgrade the pickups, pots, wiring and tuners. I’ve owned it over a year now and I haven’t done anything to it, because it sounds great, it plays really good, and it stays in tune.

Out of the box was it almost perfect, fit and finish is superb, no rough fret ends, perfectly straight neck, mini cheap ass pots that sound good, cheap plastic nut that is professionally cut, (guitar stays in tune), cheap tuners that stay in tune.

Check out the neck pocket on this guitar, I’ve never seen any off the rack Fender Strat or Tele with such a tight neck pocket!

It unbelievable to me, the guitar was $85 plus $35 shipping from Germany to Florida, for a grand total of $120!! Yes, $120.00,…

Last edited:

middy

Reaction score
I got this Squier Mustang HH last summer, and it rocks! It’s thin, same as an SG (except the headstock won’t pop off). All it needed was a new set of pots and some fine tuning of the nut slots and it plays great.
The only other thing I replaced was the nasty single ply beveled white pickguard it came with. This pickguard was $10 on eBay. I’ll probably replace the pickups with vintage PAF types. They are too hot for me, but a lot of people would like them.

KMK9gxr.jpg

Redguitar

Reaction score
Years back on a whim, I bought from a local store, a new, sunburst strat copy from ION. $75. it is nothing special...probably a beginner's model. I didn't feel bad st all about relocating the volume pot to the middle tonepot hole of the pickguard. I only play it when I have a bad strattitude.

Then from the same store I bought, for $150 new, a ESP/LTD EC-USB. It was a good buy. Perhaps because later it was suspect of being a knockoff, being that no record exists of it's serial #, or any images online. But it's pretty, and quite the player, with gobs of tone!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
The ultimate “Really cheap” guitar brand that makes “good” guitars has got to be Harley Benton guitars.

Out of the box was it almost perfect.

Check out the neck pocket on this guitar, I’ve never seen any with such a tight neck pocket!

It unbelievable to me.

Harley Benton...

Lets look very close and in detail, at the Harley Benton photo provided....

1. Is that a crack developing at the corner of the neck pocket?

2. Next, examine the Harley Benton fret dressing, especially at the last 1/4" ends of each fret, below the high E string...

3. Finally, examine the pickup and pick guard screw heads. They are not flush.

Lets face it, minor issues are to be expected, and can found in almost any entry level guitar, .... even as far up the food chain as a high dollar Gibson!

Im not saying that a entry level Ibanez is 100% perfect.

But....

Ibanez seems to have these type of issues much better addressed, in my opinion.

Just saying.

9-C40-B099-42-E6-42-DE-8-AE6-22-E893-BBF7-BD.jpg

Last edited:

Calebz

Reaction score
2. Next, examine the Harley Benton fret dressing, especially at the last 1/4" ends of each fret, below the high E string...

I'd like to point out that the fretwork on my HBs is quite good. Better in fact, than my Epiphone SG (Iommi) or my Fender acoustic.

I'm quite sure that as you go further down the product line into the student models, etc.. the risk of problems increases.

However, I can say that of the 4 I have, the amount of fretwork I have had to do has been minimal.

Ibanez probably wins on consistency. I would be disappointed if they didn't. They've had decades longer in the market to get it figured out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harley Benton...

Lets look very close and in detail, at the Harley Benton photo provided....

1. Is that a crack developing at the corner of the neck pocket?

3. Finally, examine the pickup and pick guard screw heads. They are not flush.

Lets face it, minor issues are to be expected, and can found in almost any entry level guitar, .... even as far up the food chain as a high dollar Gibson!

Im not saying that a entry level Ibanez is 100% perfect.

But....

Ibanez seems to have these type of issues much better addressed, in my opinion.

Just saying.

9-C40-B099-42-E6-42-DE-8-AE6-22-E893-BBF7-BD.jpg
It’s an $85.00 guitar! :rofl: