I just did the dumbest thing ever

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by MelloYellow, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Am i dumb?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. Definitely

28.6%
  3. You don't deserve all that gear dumbass

28.6%
  1. MelloYellow

MelloYellow New Member

Hi everyone. I thought this'll never happen to me BUT...
    I've just received brand new Rivera Rockcrusher to tame my lovely 2466 VM head. I don't know how but after connecting all the cables i ended up with my amp connected to "speaker out" of RC instead of amp input.
    Weird but i've heard my amp for a few moments through PC speakers (RC was connected to the PC via line out), but every moment after that the sound was dimming down.
    The most incredible thing is after reconnecting cables properly my amp and RC are working just fine, at least in loadbox mode.
    Please tell me your thougts what can possibly be damaged and what should i check first?

StrummerJoe likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Sounds like nothing damaged!
    Carry on!

3. MelloYellow

MelloYellow New Member

yep, checked that speaker out in attenuator mode and it's fine. Mby tubes will die faster then they should idk

StrummerJoe likes this.
  4. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Check the power tubes and output transformer. When you run a tube amp without a load the voltage has to go somewhere. If there’s no load on the secondary it’s fed back into the power tubes which can damage them. It can also fry the OT if it overheats.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet but you should also test it without the attenuator to make sure.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  5. MelloYellow

MelloYellow New Member

Whew. I'm also worried about Rockcrusher. Am i right thinking that signal met resistive load "from the other side" in this case?

KraftyBob likes this.
  6. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

What saves you on this stuff is how things are grounded and how much is grounded . A signal has a ground so it knows ware to go vary little power loss .

StrummerJoe and MelloYellow like this.
  7. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Toss is out. You have an extremely unpredictable hazardous electrical scenario now. Since I'm the helpful type (thank you thank you) you can send the amp the me and I have connections to proper disposal. It required much more than one might think. Do not, I repeat ...do NOT throw it in the conventional trash. I know you're smart and will take the proper steps in this though. Let me know and I'll get you my address to help you.

:welcome::woot:

:cool:

8. Pete Farrington

Pete Farrington Well-Known Member

I think so. The speaker out jack will have been a reasonably lowish impedance path between tip and sleeve, so provided the incident wasn’t too prolonged, the amp won’t have been too stressed if it wasn’t equal to the intended nominal load.

If it all works ok (particularly at the settings it was on at the time), I think it should be fine.

StrummerJoe and MelloYellow like this.
  9. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think because you were connected to at least something the amp may have seen some type of load, small as it may be, that may have helped prevent damage. It doesn't sound like you ran it too long so that helped too.

Edited to add: Just saw Pete's post above mine. At least I'm on the right path :)

10. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

Shit happens…. Everyone makes mistakes.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  11. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

Being the one with 2 Amp Heads and 1 Cab...
    It was clear I would power up the Head that was not hooked up to the Cab eventually...
    After I was playing my JTM45, I powered up the Diezel VH2 without a load. Luckily I was slowly rolling the Volume of the Guitar up as I realized my mistake. I didn't play one Note, I just switched off Standby, that saved my Diezel. Since then I always unplug the power Cord when I switch Speaker Cables or mess with the Attenuator.
    You're not alone with that mistake:facepalm:

StrummerJoe likes this.
  12. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

First off - :welcome:

Secondly, it sounds like you got lucky and dodged a bullet.

Lastly, as far as doing dumb things goes you got nothing on me. I once told my wife what I really thought. :slap:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  13. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

I used to run a Voice Box that is switchable between the head and speaker. Call me cautious I didn't like the idea that the switch could fail, or in the transient the head might see no load. I started using a dedicated amp head. Then I used a midi switchable box RFX, I think, to switch the input signal between heads. Later two heads became cumbersome so I bought one of those amp in a pedal boxes and used it just for the Voice Box, then it blew my Voice Box coil. Had to find a higher watt rated PA horn to replace it. Fricken transistors Essuuuk! The Voice Box has two 1156 incandescent 12Vdc lights in series to protect the horn inside but its not enough for 100 watts. The original Dean Markley Voice Box speaker horn was not rated high enough so they added the bulbs in there - I'm guessing to save money. Same original bulbs still in there. Hey, "Do You Feel Like We Do" Showed me the way!
    Right on man:hippie:

MelloYellow likes this.
  14. MelloYellow

MelloYellow New Member

You either do it all the time or never. I chose 2nd and pretty happy. Cheers

StrummerJoe likes this.
  15. MelloYellow

MelloYellow New Member

Im in similar situation and there was few times i was trying to play my vox ac15 without cabinet, and mby 1-2 times with 2466 head (turned them off after playing few notes without any sound). They are still alive and I didn’t even change the tubes.

Eric'45 likes this.
  16. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

I have pulled some stupid shit so you may have competition for the dumbest thing ever.

StrummerJoe likes this.