I have Silver Jubilee 2525h. Update to 2555x?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Eblue4, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Eblue4

Eblue4 New Member

Hi to everyone

One year ago I bought a Marshall Mini Silver Jubile 2525 Header with 20 watts.

I plug it on a Marshall Cabinet 4x12 1960AV

I'm very (VERY) happy with the sound that I get with this. Is the "sound" that I searching for (John Frusciante, Slash, Bonamassa, Clapton, Mayer...).

I play always at home and I use to have the Master Output at 11 or 13 o'clock (depends on the Gain potentiometer). Lead Chanel at 11.

If I play with Strat with single coil, Gain at 9 o'clock. If I play with Les Paul, Gain at 12 o'clock.

So... The topic is... I thinking if get the 100w version is better for me.

What you think?

Thanks

Best regards

kinleyd and El Gringo like this.
  2. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

I own a 2555x. Love it. Yes imho.

3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Why? If your getting "your" sound and your not maxed out on volume, why buy another? Also it may not sound the same as the one you love. There are other amps like them as well, the 2525 is supposed to be a killer Jube amp http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2525/ (however I have never tried it, nor am I into Jubes) These are all hand wired amps, they make some nice stuff. I would try to play the 100w Jube head if you really want one to see if it has anything more than the 20w one. I do like 100w heads over 50w ones and I to only play at home most of the time. One very good thing about 2 heads is they make a great 2 channel set up.

4. iwuk78

iwuk78 Member

The 2555 is going to get a fair bit louder, so depending on your ability to get it loud, you may not be able to run it where it needs to be to sound how you want it.

I say may, because On the other hand, you may be in a situation where you can absolutely run it loud as hell and be fine.

That would be my main consideration in your scenario. If you do ok with attenuators or a reactive load, those can open up more tonal options in a home situation. I run my 2555 into a suhr reactive load through monitors when folks are home, and crank it through the cab when they are out. It is uncomfortably loud through the cab at 6-7 on the master, but it is also fun as hell.

If you can do any/all of those things, the 2555 is a beast.

If there's some way you can try one first, I'd say do that for sure.

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

2555x has a half power switch. :thumb:

6. anitoli

Damn double post.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I dunno man. They start to really kick in above 5 (12 oclock) o the MV. If your 20watt works for you around that volume setting in your space, I think the 2555 may be overkill, even on half power. If it uses pentode/triode like the originals, it will sound different as well. I personally dislike triode, it loses some punch IMO.
    If you can do more volume in your space and are ok with that then sure try one out.

axe arsenal, El Gringo, jeffb and 3 others like this.
  8. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The 100 watt will have a more solid feel to the bottom end. It will feel stiffer over all compared to the cathode biased 20 watt. Clean cleans will likely be sharper and bolder.

The 20 watt will likely feel more dynamic with a bit more "blossom."

It might depend if your primarily a lead player or a rthym player.

The 100 watt will likely push the 4x12 cab and speakers more.

9. anitoli

Plus the transformers in the 2555x are huge. You will feel it!
    Also you can safely use several octal based tubes without having to change any parts, just set the bias with the external controls and you are rockin.

Ok, truth be told i am a 100w whore. So i am biased as hell but if you can play one first do it and then decide.

Trelwheen, El Gringo, scozz and 2 others like this.
  10. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Good point. It will sound somewhat different.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree man, every pentode/triode amp I’ve owned sucked on triode. You’re probably better off just leaving the amp on full power and turn it down a little, than use triode!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yep, they will sound different, just because it says Jubilee on it means little. One running cranked and one running at an idle even the same amp will sound different. You may be able to get the same sound out of the 100w amp but most likely at a cost, volume in this case. Still worth a try if your a Jube guy but hard to tell without it being in your home.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  13. Eblue4

Eblue4 New Member

Will the 20w and the 100w models sound much much louder with the same cabinetm

Thanks

14. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

If...

I don't see why you would want to change anything? :hmm:

Pick u some pedals if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. Otherwise be happy and rock out.

15. Eblue4

Eblue4 New Member

Is the "dilema" for...

I will get much better tone even if I bought the 100w head?

The Mini Jubilee is a orgasm for me. Is a sweet drug. It creeps my hair when I play it (true).

A plasure

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The relationship of loudness to wattage is logarithmic. It basically means that a 100 watt amp is louder but not much louder. Putting it in numbers; a 100 watt amp is only about 6 db louder than a 20-25 watt amp- both cranked.

A 100 watt amp sounds hardly louder than a 50 watt amp, and a 50 watt is isn't hardly much louder than a 25 watt amp.

The feel and tone will be subtly different though. This slight difference could likely be completely over ridden by speaker/cab changes. Actually I think they did a good job of making the 2525H a close tonal match to the 2555x, but one that you can crank it up a bit more into power tube compression in most venues, which is important in the Marshall amp world.

Another thing the 2555x weighs 55 lbs. The 2525H weighs 22 lbs. and fits nicely on passenger seat of your car.

jeffb likes this.
  17. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I hated the mini jubes after owning the 100 watter. The 100 watter sounds better at any volume range. My theory is that the transformers in a big amp make the amp sound way better.

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I always like the 100w over the 50w, they just seem to have "more". (Meatier sound.) I'm even going to change out my Chupacabra 50w head to a 100w version, as soon as figure out how to get it in a 2 ch unit.

19. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

20. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

So is that like a hairless animal that sucks and drains the blood of another animal ? Several years ago i heard this little kid use that word to describe someone he didn't like .