I have a Problem with certain Marshall Amps. JCM2000 DSL and TSL.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by custom53, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

I think the above statement is a great bottom line!

We all make mistakes, period. We are all in a constant state of learning and growing.

No one here is forced to answer in any thread or post.
    Whats more important, to save someone from harm to themself/gear, or to belittle a person so bad for the place there in.

@custom53 I apologize on behalf of the forum, to which I am a member.
    We are better than this.

I have no electrical skills myself. My best advice is to take the amp in for service, so no harm comes to you or your gear.
    What ever is wrong with your amp, is way above just general knowledge and needs a skilled amp tech to look at, and correct.

Above all please be safe.
    Please forgive our rude behavior. We are, better than this.

John

custom53 likes this.
  2. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

He, like every tech in the world has done the same thing. While I'm not a tech, or formally trained I had the same experience as you, I was a teenager and wanted to know why my Fisher x202b was weak on one channel. I knew some older guys, friends of my dads, who where Hams and they had no problem explaining things to me when I asked. Between them, and my own curiosity I learned a few things. I am grateful to them ole boys..I have been repairing my own gear ever since.

I still don't understand exactly where the problem comes in. I mean you help everybody you can, and seem to enjoy doing so. Idk why some have issues with this. sharing knowledge and experiences is a big part of what makes this place what it is.

Ignoring the "no user servicable parts inside" tag. Oh my ...I bet you rip the tags off pillows too..:)

Again, i think this thread started as sarcasm stemming from all 18,000 dsl/tsl problem threads. And some are taking things a bit too seriously here. I wish the op would come back and tell us all to eat shit, or come clean with the ruse..:applause:

stringtree likes this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I've been on the run from the mattress police...no telling when they will catch up.
    [​IMG]

"...sharing knowledge and experiences is a big part of what makes this place what it is."

Because essentially there is no other place to learn it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    marshalltsl, stringtree and Gunner64 like this.
  4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't get it, why did Mr. Underwood get so upset? Upset enough to leave the forum and unsubscribe?

There must be other issues he's had here, what's been said in this thread doesn't seem so egregious that he'd get so agitated.

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Roger that!

stringtree likes this.
  6. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    In post #8, Ken had the temerity to suggest that blowing a 4 or 5 amp fuse, replacing it with a 10 amp, then with a 20 amp was "a totally stupid thing to do". Folk suggested that stupid was a "very harsh word". It went down hill from there...

[​IMG]

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  7. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

You know I actually can see the logic of what he was thinking. Without understanding the amp circuit in whole, I can see how one could come to that conclusion.

If the problem is a 5 amp fuse is blowing why not double it so it won't blow, and if that didn't work why not go up again.

The main problem comes from not understand why the amp fuse and its specific rating is being used.

Did any of the knowledgeable here care to explain this.............

I have very limited knowledge of how and why. The best I know is the fuse blows to shut the amp down before it all goes up in smoke. Don't know why they are rated as they are, or if they can be changed.

Won't call out names here, but the stupid stuff needs to stop.

Just because one has in depth knowledge on a subject, doesn't mean one has the skills and patients to teach it.

What happened to being Kind... It would be nice if human beings had some sort of amp fuse that would stop them from becoming mean and intolerant of others...

Some people can build amps...
    Some people can mold others...
    Some people can do both......

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

While this does indeed make some sense to be sure, I think if one is not familiar at all with how fuses work, they shoild take their amp to a tech. Asking what might be wrong and why it's blowing fuses when one doesn't seem to understand how fuses work seems kinda pointless to me. The fact that OP is an electrician really seems strange. Fuses, breakers, same difference.

As to your point about fuses, if a circuit has a 5 amp fuse then it is protecting the circuit from any current higher than this as it may damage the circuit. To put a 10 amp in is now allowing twice the rated current to that part of the circuit. Put in a 20 and now 4 times the rated current is allowed to flow. Ouch. Problem waiting to happen as you can probably see.

9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So you guys really think a licensed union electrician would do this? ..I don't....I sense sarcasm,...poking fun..pulling our leg..there is no way in hell a licensed electrician does not know what a fuse does and why it's rated, and why not to do this...in any circuit.

marshalltsl and Jethro Rocker like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah Nik, I know what happened, I just don’t understand why Mr. Underwood got so upset at what @ricksdisconnected posted.

Maybe it’s me but l don’t see a reason to get so upset that you leave the forum.

Also he said,...”and now I’ll will unsubscribe from this Forum for good this time”,.........Sounds like he’s had an issue here before. :hmm:

11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Sure could be

What, you've never seen a 20/15 amp double tprong outlet that on closer inspection didn't even have sufficient gauge to be up to code for a single 15 amps?

These guys have a nasty habit of blatantly disregarding instructions, rules, and regulations

12. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

I am thinking about selling them and let the buyer repair them. Although the DSL is fine now. The TSL still needs work done to it.

tce63 likes this.
  13. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

how much are you looking to get for it? I'm hoping not more than $100 since it's going to require much bench time
    i do love projects though. feel free to message me about it

tce63 likes this.
  14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I understand Ken's point of view and I agree with it. I've spent my whole life in electronics and I've got experience in every category of electronic devices that any given person is likely to encounter at home or at work or in his profession. DC to daylight, analog, digital, RF, mixed signal, audio, video, test and measurement, avionics, medical, and even a touch of space flyable hardware. I KNOW that the only people who substitute blown fuses for larger fuses are those who don't know what they are doing and have no business doing it.

But I encourage people to learn what they don't know. That may require some experimentation.

tce63, Nik Henville and Jethro Rocker like this.
  15. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

I sure am glad I didn’t run into ken underwood when I joined this forum. I didn’t and still don’t know anything about amp repair. And probably asked some “stupid” questions about my amp that needed troubleshooting. Thankfully someone was patient and helped me repair it myself. If Ken is tired of advising people with little to no experience help themselves on a forum partially dedicated to helping people fix things themselves, then to you sir I say good riddance. You’re not the only one who knows how to fix amps.

tce63 and RCM 800 like this.
  16. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

You should only put a fuse in that Marshall specifies. I blew a fuse in my TSL602 amp. It turns out the Chinese made Ruby power tubes were drawing too much power.

tce63 likes this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

heck, I remember the days when everyone wrapped the burnt fuse w/ Reynold's wrap aluminum foil... :)...

OK, fuse scuffle aside, we can get back to the Q in the OP?

tce63 likes this.
  18. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

My TSL had some issues with the output leads disconnected from the jack or were cold soldered. Its been many years and I dont remember exactly what the tech said. Anyways maybe something to look at.

tce63 likes this.
  19. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

IMO just TSL cabinet cost more than 100 if you want sell it. But the chassis and boards cost 75. I bought a chassis and some boards without transformers. Main board and rear board were no there too. I payed 29 euros.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

That's not the point. What Ken brought to the forum was the unique insights into the early days of Marshall, having been one of the few who were there with Jim Marshall, Ken Bran, and Dudley Craven. Of the four, Ken is the only one left alive and until just a few days ago he was sharing his experiences with us, experiences that are far more valuable to US than YOUR experiences are. There's a lot of value in what Ken has to offer, as he was there and he knows how it was really done at Marshall in the early days. He has dispelled a number of myths and erroneous assumptions as to how things were done at Marshall in those early years. Have YOU? Not hardly.

A person should know his limits, know what he can fix himself, and know what he's better off to leave to a mechanic or technician. That point is determined by your honest answer to the simple question, "Do I actually know how this thing really works?". If you answer no, keep your booger hooks out of it.

That's this little-known thing that we see less and less with every passing year. It's called "common sense" and if it were so common, how come it's so highly prized?

If you have it, and it doesn't work right, and you don't know how it works, and you feel that you must attempt to repair it yourself, then you need to give yourself the relevant education before touching a screwdriver. If you don't do that FIRST before cracking the case, then, well, no, I'm not going to insult anyone and call him a fool, but that action is identical to what a fool would do.

Learn it before you burn it. Learn DC electronics, learn AC electronics, learn logical troubleshooting by fault analysis and fault isolation techniques. Learn how tubes and transistors work and all the passive components as well. Learn to work safely around high voltages. Obtain test equipment suitable to the task. Learn how to use that. Then put it all together and you're ready to start simple fault repairs.

Mr. Underwood, if you are reading this, do consider coming back. Your contributions and insight are very much valued by many here. Not everybody gets it, with regard to the value you brign to this forum, but I think that most of us do. Don't let those who engage in foolish behavior dissuade you from giving the rest of us your much valued insight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.