I have a Greenback 25w in my DSL20CR. Worth trying out a V-Type?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by phase27, Nov 16, 2020.

1. phase27

phase27 New Member

Hey all!

So I put a Greenback 25w (the current model) into my DSL20CR. I've heard people say the Greenback is a better speaker in 4x12 cabinets, and not as great for 1x12 combos. I've liked it fine since owning it (more than the 70/80), but just saw someone post a V-Type for $40 on Craigslist. I know thats the stock speaker for the DSL40CR so figured some people here might have experience with it.

I like that it's 70w. I don't often play loud enough to blow the Greenback, but since it's only 25w, I like the idea of something with higher wattage for playing live. I mostly play classic rock, 80's/90's metal, pop punk.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with both?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

For $40 its a no brainier, buy it before it gets away!

SteelLucky likes this.
  3. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

The v-type will sound scooped compared to your greenback. They’re close sounding to a g12t-75 with a little more low mids to me. I actually prefer the 70/80 once they’re broken in over the v-type. Vtype is just too dark for me.

4. phase27

phase27 New Member

Interesting, thanks! So is this pretty much what you’re saying?

JBA likes this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You wont know until you try it yourself! :yesway:

phase27 likes this.
  6. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s a very good representation of the tones of those speakers. The v-type is pretty scooped sounding compared to a greenback or V30.

7. phase27

phase27 New Member

Everything set to Noon EQ wise on my amp, the Greenback is even a little dark for me (I guess thats the right term? Im new to speaker swapping). Too much bottom end. I end up turning up the treble and presence to get it where I want it, and then it sounds phenomenal. Sounds like the V-Type leans even further to the low end?

Fair point! Might just try it anyway out of curiosity.

8. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I’ve tried both. IMO the 25w reissue is the best overall speaker for this amp. This greenback has almost no output in the “fizzy” frequency band. Wicked pairing especially on the green channel in this open back combo. Red channel, I found external closed back cab with a Vintage 30 is hard to beat. Great all a rounder was the creamback 65 and Neo. Tone is personally subjective but I do own a pile of celestions and do swap and compare often. I’d say the 70/80 is ok cleanish but sucks with gain. The V-type is a step up speacially with distortion but what I’ve mentioned above is another step up above this for sure. Like someone said.. 40 bucks is pretty cheap so you can always try it and know for sure if it works for you.

9. phase27

phase27 New Member

Cool. Yeah, I don't have any major issues with the Greenback. While I wish I could turn it up loud without worrying about blowing it, I don't think I'm playing live any time soon where that would be an issue.

Good to hear that you think it's the best all around speaker for this amp! I've heard people say that Greenbacks don't do as well in 1x12 combos, and really excel in a 2x12 or 4x12. Is that just something people say and repeat on the internet, or is there truth to it (relative to other Celestions).

I'd love to try out a Creamback, but given how cheap this V-Type is, might give it a shot and see if I like it as much or better than the Greenback. Trying not to go too far down the tone rabbit hole, but here I am :)

10. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I’ve let mine go full tilt on green with gain maxed out and have pretty hot pickups: My greeny is still alive! Red channel at full clip chugging away.. who knows? I’ve repeatedly swapped out a range of celestions in this amp.. I keep circling back to the 25w Greenback re-issue. It’s a classic rock machine!

11. phase27

phase27 New Member

Haha, good to know! Yeah I like the idea of keeping the Greenback. My main rig for years was a 1960 cab with G12T75's, so trying to have something different in the arsenal. And the greenback is definitely different than the T75.

JBA likes this.
  12. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I like the V Type in my DSL 40 CR, especially now that it's broken in.

I hooked the V-Type in my DSL up to my 100 watt Super Lead and it sounded great!

13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I like the V-Type that came in my DSL40CR.
    If the GB and V-Type are both 16 ohm then you could put the GB in a 112 cab for the extra speaker 'bigger sound' option.
    Running with only half the power, in parallel to the V-Type, you could crank the GB without fear of damage.
    You would effectively have 50W of coverage for a 20W amp.
    The sensitivities match (98dB) and the tonal combination could be sweet.

For $40, jump on it (if it's 16 ohm).