I hate changing strings.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Barfly, Oct 27, 2020.

1. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Changing string gauges on a Parker is time consuming because of its incredible vibrato system.

jmp45 likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

only when the strings are beyond tuning...

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I have a couple of guitars with Bigsby's and I'm sure you know the capo method (still fiddly) but I just used the Vibramate String spoiler and it works very well, I wondered if it might affect sustain but funnily enough the addition of the Bigsby B7 to the Les Paul with Vibramate seems to have enhanced the sustain (I sound like a fanboy but the installation was a great success).

Trelwheen likes this.
  4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Just cut em all off. You'll never hit another wrong note.

5. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

Its a burden honestly, but ive done it so much im ambivalent to it now lol using locking tuners has sped up change times a good bit but i still hate it. Normally a string change goes with a full detail cleaning for me

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Fripp saves his old strings, caught this today. As a Crimson fan I do follow Robert. This cracked me up, see around 5:00.

7. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Takes a little longer than a strat, less than a floyd. But, how often do you need to tune? Not often at all. I don't recall the last time I tuned the Nitefly ;)

IOSEPHVS likes this.
  8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwe bullshit.
    Changing strings when necessary is always a positive and enjoyable thang.

The only things you cannot change out when they get old and used up is friends, family and spouse. :D You are stuck with them till death. :)

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Spouse no. They can be totally eliminated for your realm of existence. If there is nothing such as kids that requires you maintain contact they can FO.

Trelwheen likes this.
  10. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

Exactly, Parkers stay in tune. It's only time consuming when changing string gauges because we have to swap out the vibrato spring and adjust the tension wheel which are a big part of its tuning stability.

Because of the change in string tension, changing gauges requires adjusting the truss rod and therefore the string height, and intonation on any guitar so that's a wash.

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. My Nitefly doesn't have the tension wheel, springs like a Strat. I don't change gauges and my truss is set where I like it. Even so, tuning is amazingly stable.

Mitchell Pearrow and IOSEPHVS like this.
  12. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    every 2-3 years if even then. i never break one and i wipe my strings down every time i play my guitar which is daily :)

jmp45, Barfly and bullhead like this.
  13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I was awaiting a response from you and bam, delivered. :D

Trelwheen and anitoli like this.
  14. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I hates changing string too for all the same reasons. Additionally, I hate changing them on Gibsons because the G-B - E side is a PITA, and Fenders, even though they get a gold star for having the tuners all on one side, require dealing with floating bridges, particularly if you take all the strings off at once.

But forget all that. Let's go back to the part where you mentioned soda & wings.

[​IMG]

15. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I did not change any this weekend but the past weekend I did get around to trying some Martin Monel strings (the Vintage series). I like them but they went on my good acoustic which makes all strings sound good.
    Also finally tried some NYXL electric strings the other day. Too bright for my taste though they claim more midrange. They don't seem to vibrate very energetically either. I tried the "balanced tension" set- I really don't detect much difference from the regular tension set. Thumbs down for me.
    I may use the Monels again.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  16. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

im too cheap to change it often, my guitars are Floyd systems and its pain tuning it till death :) i got 4 set in my draw but cant be bothered to change, i only play for myself no gigs no recordings so dose not matter :)

17. Barry A

Barry A Member

A lot of Floyd Rose fans on this forum...I never use my FR exactly for this reason...you have to dismantle your guitar just to change a string. And not being able to tune your guitar outside of standard is annoying.

but I just do a quick clean of the neck with Murphy oil when I change the strings. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

18. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I usually get 4 to 6 hours out of a set before they start breaking. Once one breaks I change the whole set. Using EB 9's currently but Ive tried just about every brand and gauge with the same results. I usually do a cleaning when I change strings and in that amount of time I can crud one up pretty good so it all works out.