I hate changing strings.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Barfly, Oct 27, 2020.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

If it's a Floyd, hell no. It either takes me 45 minutes (my fastest) or a few hours.

Any other guitar, I don't mind it.

Barfly and DaDoc like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Nope never worried about it, strings get changed only when they break and that's only one at a time. :yesway:

Barfly and SkyMonkey like this.
  3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

This way will shave some of those minutes off your setup.
    [​IMG]
    Kind of like the carpenters rule of measuring twice/cutting once. This one is even one step less ;-)

Barfly, mirrorman and Derek S like this.
  4. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Changing drumheads on an entire drumkit is a way bigger pain in the ass.

SHREDNECK, trax1139, Barfly and 3 others like this.
  5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

lol you are absolutely correct! I would sound like @BenjaminW in his last post, with a drum kit. I actually tune them, and that is where time never ends. :erk:

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I love changing them...

My FR guitar only takes about 20 min. I don't block it either, like many say to do...

Playing bass (studio), I like to change for every song & if I do punch-ins, I want fresh strings, or you'll hear the difference...

GIBSON67, Barfly and CraigP like this.
  7. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I only change strings on FR equipped guitar if i break a string.... with LP, almost never.

Barfly likes this.
  8. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

That gets expensive

9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I find it quite theraputic. Just changed strings on 4 less played guitars (L5 with Bigsby, 60's RI tele, down tuned LP and the 3-PU custom with Bigsby) to try out the new D'addario x type (coated versions of the NYXL I believe) I can do it whilst chatting in family room so it's not too antisocial (like amp work). The regulars get NYXLs when they need them (dull, poor intonation, just feel off. I never break strings).

CraigP, anitoli and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Very, very frequently and considering i have 19 guitars with one on the way that's alot of strings but i think dirty, grungy guitars sound like ass and are disgusting to play. If you are going to pick up one of my guitars to play i will immediately inform you to go in the bathroom and thourohly wash your hands. I clean my strings and guitar after every session. No excuse for a gross guitar.

SHREDNECK, Trumpet Rider and neikeel like this.
  11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Tbh I find changing strings on some Fenders that have the tuners with the pit at the top WAY more annoying than changing them on a FR guitar. To the point that I swapped the tuners on my Classic FR Strat to locking Gotoh ones so I could get rid of the old ones, even though the guitar has a locking nut and I don't really need locking tuners. They're just easier and faster to work with.

Apart from that, I can change a full set in about 10 minutes, I usually put on a fresh set every 3 gigs or so (got pretty expensive when I was doing 5 gigs a week though) as I prefer the snappier attack and brightness of fresh strings, and tend to wear them out pretty fast. I also learnt how to properly stretch them so that they stay in tune.
    But yeah, it's pretty therapeutic for me as well, put on some good music, lay out your tools in front of you, clean up guitars and change strings. Immediately get me centered.

CraigP and shredless like this.
  12. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

When I gigged they got replaced weekly. Then I went years only changing them once in a blue moon.
    The last few years I've been buying and trying different strings like crazy and restring something pretty much every weekend. My electrics are Fender style- six on a side, split drilled tuners; changing strings is a snap- could do it in my sleep. If I really hustled I could probably change them in about 15 minutes.
    I don't fuss with cleaning except on rare occasions.
    The acoustics I still find to be a bit more work but I can do those pretty quick too now.

CraigP, WellBurnTheSky and dro like this.
  13. dro

dro Well-Known Member

When we were gigging steady I'd change every Sunday. Change, clean, stretch, set neck relief, and intonate. Got to where it was kind of like therapy. Once I had them playing to perfection. I could move on to other things. I would spend 4 to 6 hours on guitars. Did that for allot of years. Not gigging now, so not changing near as much. But when I do, I try to get myself back in that frame of mind. Use it as a type of meditation.

CraigP, shredless and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  14. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I use Elixir Optiwebs (the brightest), don't gig, and am not a sweater, so they last me an age!
    I last broke a string about 3 years ago! But I still keep extra plain strings to avoid replacing the whole set.
    Changing them isn't such a chore either as all my guitars are hardtails, or their trems have been blocked/locked.
    Spreading string wear across 4 guitars helps push string change day even further back.
    Elixirs are expensive though, so that possibly helps me procrastinate even more on string changes.

Mitchell Pearrow and shredless like this.
  15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Used to have the split tuners on my G&L's back in the 80's. I could break a string in the middle of a song. Yank it out, get another, have it stretched and tuned before the song ended.

Lo-Tek and shredless like this.
  16. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

A long time ago, back when l read guitar magazines, l read an interview with Ace Frehley and he talked about his string stretching technique. Ive been doing that ever since and my guitars always stay in tune.

Btw, l use Ernie Ball Rock n Roll Classic Slinky 10s

20201028_073603.jpg

17. dro

dro Well-Known Member

18. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Like a few here, i find it therapeutic. I don't get all into waxing and polishing every nook and cranny but it does get wiped down good. The frets get polished and fretboard is cleaned. I like new strings and the way they feel and sound.

For those who find it excruciating, hell man, do it while you watch goofy tv.

19. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Member

I actually enjoy it. I own nothing but FR equipped guitars and can do either decked or floating changes pretty quickly, usually about 30mn or less for full cleaning,stretched, balanced and locked in tune. I usually enjoy getting a good buzz going and cranking up some good music while doing my guitar maintenance.

20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Don't take off all the strings to clean fretboard on a floyd, it'll take forever to replace them

Ditch a spring and press the bar instead, or if you absolutely need to, take all springs off and remove the bridge with the strings still locked at the nut

fitz288 and SkyMonkey like this.