I got DSL money and JCM dreams!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Robmarshall, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Artist 4203 if you can find one, truly a JCM for DSL dough.

2. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

That is interesting to know. I just learned something new. But if the OP gets, say, the 2525H, that costs exactly as much as the SC20H, so why not just take the more direct route and get a SC20H? Which brings us back to the "DSL money and JCM dreams" part of the problem. I don't think it is necessary to spend that kind of money to get good classic metal tones. The DSL20H is perfectly adequate, for far less money. I encourage the OP to check out the Shred Ain't Dead and Lambchopper 697's YouTube channels. They demonstrate just how suitable the DSL20H is for metal/hair metal stuff.

If the OP decides to upgrade at some point, the DSL20H has a superb reputation and will resell for almost as much as what it cost brand new.

3. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

upload_2021-6-14_16-1-41.jpeg + upload_2021-6-14_16-5-25.jpeg =

upload_2021-6-14_16-6-13.jpeg

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

What he said 100%^^^^^^:agreed:

5. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Save for the SC20, it is exactly the amp you need/want considering your interest and goals.

Just enjoy your Orange until how ever long it takes to comfortably buy the SC20, the wait will be worth it and you'll be happy you did.

6. Old Punker

I have a SC20H and matching 2x12 cab and I can honestly say this is an amazing amp! You can play anything from light blues to some types of metal no problem. I agree with @fitz288, it's much better to get a head and cab, and as @Seventh Son pointed out, closed back are much better for the tones you're after. I have both closed back and a couple of partially open back cabs at home and I only ever use my closed back cabs for heavier tones, which is almost all of the time.

Now @ricksdisconnected has given you some very wise words too. So it looks like a lot of this depends on your financial situation (reality sucks). Maybe you can use what you have now and wait and save up for the SC20?

There is also the DSL series that you mentioned, roughly 1/2 of the JCM price. I know a lot of guys here really like them and you could get the 20W one. You would have a real tube amp with the Marshall sound. I haven't heard of anyone who could not get good metal tones from the DSL's.

And if you get one of these first and get the JCM later then by keeping both you would be able to cover a lot more ground tone-wise, and you will also have a 2 channel amp when you need one.
    At least you have a number of options, all of which will sound good! :cheers:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  7. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

It's just my opinion but I would never tell someone to buy a combo amp.
    Always buy a head and cab. So much more versatile and more future proof if you want to go other directions.
    To OP: The SC20 amp at 5 watts would probably as loud or louder than your 40 watt DSL in 20 watt mode.

8. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

I have zero issues playing my DSL40C in the house on 20 watt mode. The master volume is your friend. You'll be relying on pre amp distortion, but you'll have the power when needed for jamming.

Same is true with my Boogie Fillmore 50 @ 25 watts, or my Rivera Jake Studio Combo running @ 35 watts.

If money isn't an object look into an amp from Denver Ampworks with a FluxTone speaker. You can turn down the volume of the speaker while getting full output tube saturation. You can either get a speaker for your amp, they have several models, or one of their amp builds. Neither is cheap though, but damn I really like my 5E3 inspired Bobcat. They also do other Marshall & Fender style builds or anything else you're willing to sell your children for.

Happy hunting!

9. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

IME, you can spend 3X the cost on $200-$500 increments of tone chasing, but you’ll never stop flipping until you get a proper amp (and even then for some ppl...).

You physically own what does NOT work for you. Why waste time/money on a different flavor of the same problem (even if it tastes less badly)?

You have Used Studio Classics and Ceriatones, if you have less delayed gratification and the real 2203/2203x if you can save.

I’d suggest you save. There are millions of shortcuts to curing temporary boredom/GAS, but not so much for this problem.

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lots of good advice here, especially the “buy once” thing, it happened to me.

I bought a Dsl1hr and a 1-12 cab in early 2018, the year they were released. Loved it, but it left me wanting more.

By the end of 2018 I was getting ready to purchase a Dsl20hr to replace the Dsl1hr, already have a 1-12 cab to use with it.

So it’s December 2018 and I’m reading about members discussing/speculating what, if anything, Marshall will release in NAMM 2019.

I decided to hold off ordering the Dsl20hr until NAMM, just in case they released something I might like better.

Well, they did, that’s the year Marshall released the Studio Series. So i ended up getting a SC20h to go with my 1-12 cab and I’ve never looked back! :D

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

he could always get a Friedman Runt 20 or a JJ.jr and smoke the suggested's . :agreed:

Michael Roe likes this.
  12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

My advice, skip the DSL, and go straight for the JCM. If you can't swing a 2203 or 2204, go for the SC20 and you'll be as close as you'll get.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Lots of great advice here, if all you have is DSL money, that 40cr is a bargain, I have the older Dsl40c’s, and I think they do an excellent job of the tones you are after.
    They can be dialed down in volume, with out going to the 20 watt level, for the past 6 months I have been running mine on the red ultra 2 channel, gain at 3, volume at 1-1/2, with an SD1 in front of the amp here is a short clip of a cover, for tone chasing
    Thanks for listening
    Mitch

14. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

:dude: who else is singin along!

15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Who else thought when that song came out it was AC/DC?

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Thank you Wildeman

Old Punker likes this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

I probably did

18. Old Punker

I definitely did!

19. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

First, let me say..these are ALL my solid state amps. They rip 'n roar out all the CRUNCH of the bands you've mentioned ..and then some. SD-1 slammed in the front with a good 4x12 and they keep up with all my other amps.

Next, I'm a huge fan of the JCM 2000 DSLs. You can't go wrong with the DSL50 and DSL100. For the price, those amps are fire. I own both. Don't pass up a JCM 900 ( any model) , though I own the SLX 2500 and can confirm - the amp RIPS. Very aggressive and bitey. The SD-1 and MXR 10 Band help to tame it to be fat and punchy.

What I'm saying is...just get a Marshall. :lol:

20. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Good job Mitch as always :)
    I'd say it's up to you, I got my first Lil dsl5cr like 9 months ago, love it, still do.
    Then went the ac15 route even thou I really wanted a SC20h
    Later this year I'll probably get the SC20h, and not for one second do I regret having either of the 2 amps I've got.
    They are awesome Lil things at what they do.
    Granted I've been working 6 days a week, putting the OT into guitars and amps, will try finish up the lots of purchases this year then slow down next year, work maybe 11 days out of 14 and enjoy what I've got