I forget.. higher ohms = higher output?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by bobpick68, Mar 1, 2021.

1. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

So I want to replace the speakers in my 212 combo. It has 8 ohm and 16 ohm selection.

For the most perceived output should I replace them with two 8 ohm speakers in series or two 16 ohm speakers in parallel?

Thanks

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

in tube speak, you're not going to notice...

if solid state, 4 ohm puts out more power & 16 puts out less...

bobpick68, SkyMonkey and KraftyBob like this.
  3. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

If you use stereo effects I'd go with parallel wiring.

bobpick68 likes this.
  4. uselessoldman

uselessoldman Member

for a 2x12 you should always use 8 ohm speakers ( to stop arguments it would be my advice), in parallel that gives u 4 ohms and series 16 ohms depending on the switch and stereo 8 ohms per side. Most decent high powered amps like anything between 4 and 8 ohms (even 2 ohms in some cases) and smaller ones like 8/16 so you cover all scenarios. As with 4x12 u use 16 ohms since you wire the pairs parallel series 8 ohms giving 4/16 but seriously, who would run a 4x12 at 16 ohms unless its amp specific (yes I know you can wire them series\parallel if you really want and its know that Marshall did both). But bottom line is its your choice. The lower the ohms the more bottom end you will get higher ohms higher end but the margins are usually very small unless your running super powerful amps SolidState usually not Valve like my QSC RMX 2450s. That is why powerful Bass cabs are usually 4 ohms and your normal cabs 8 ohms cos that what amps like !!!

bobpick68 likes this.
  5. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

There is NO difference in volume for different cab impedances.

The amount of sound pressure (ie volume) a speaker can produce is rated by its SPL. The SPL depends on the POWER delivered to the speaker, not its impedance. In a tube amp, 100W delivered to 4, 8, 16ohms is still 100W.

However there are some differences in frequency response for speakers wired in parallel vs series.

For the OP - It is more common to wire cabs in parallel rather than series because if one speaker blows in series, it can potentially damage the amp's output transformer. In parallel, one speaker can go and the amp should be ok, or at least you hear the change and have enough time to turn it off before it does any damage. As you only have 8 and 16ohm taps you may want to consider the 16ohm speakers so you can wire them in parallel for 8 ohms for this reason. Disclaimer - I run my favorite cab in series.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    SkyMonkey, wakjob and bobpick68 like this.
  6. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

I was actually wondering about cab wiring options the other day. I have single input 16 ohm 4x12 cabs and wondered if there were four 4 ohm speakers in series.

I prefer the sound of humbuckers in series than parallell FWIW. Maybe speakers in series add a similar character.

7. uselessoldman

uselessoldman Member

so I take it that answers why some speakers are wired parallel/series stereo/mono. If your amp has two outputs you should connect to each pair of stereo parallel wired speakers? SO again going back to the speaker cabs 2x8 Ohms pairs give you 4 or 16 whilst a pair of 16 ohms speakers can only give you a usable 8 ohms when used in mono. Does it makes any difference? Only if with 8 ohms, should you not like a pair wired in parallel you can always switch and rewire them in series !! The fun starts when you have two pairs or 4 speakers - OR MORE