i dont get the hype

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by ricksdisconnected, Aug 19, 2021.

1. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

I don't get the hype of Floyd Rose trems.
    I put a Special on the Explorer build and a license copy on the Squire mod.
    The install routing and the balanced set up are interesting challenges.
    I also like the lock nut, fine tuners, overall tuning stability, and they just plain look bad ass.
    So what's the problem? - I can't stand where the trem bar is located.
    It's in the way when I'm just trying to strum chords.
    The tunes I like to play don't have a lot of dive bombs and squeal bends.

I like the Kahler Flyer on my Hondo way more.
    (go ahead, bring the Kahler hate)

2. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Bigsbys wish they were Kahlers. Or at least I wish they were Kahlers.

3. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

For me, it's all about the tuning. I've picked up some of my Floyd-equipped guitars after not touching them for over a year, and they're still fine-tuned. I can bend to my heart's content and not worry about going out of tune.

There are also huge differences between the original Floyd and the licensed copies. Many of the copies don't have a hardened base plate, so they won't stay in tune as well. I've seen some that had base plates about half as thick as the real thing.

Ray Baker and fitz288 like this.
  4. PowerTube44

And about the Floyd... I know that a lot of people don't like them simply because they don't understand them. I've seen some horror stories in the pawn shops. One of my favorites is when the bridge is tilted downward at almost a 45-degree angle, because some genius thought that's the way to set the action. Another classic is when I go into a music store (*cough* Guitar Center *cough*) and one is horribly out of tune beyond the range of the fine tuners, but the nut is locked down so I have to go and ask them for a wrench.

The only real drawback I see is that you can't retune them quickly, and even that issue is removed if you block them to dive only.

5. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true, could never bond with it and I do like metal as well.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Same here, I have the vintage version and it does not impress me. Matter of fact its on my list to sell off!

ibmorjamn and PowerTube44 like this.
  7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Well Bad Cat succeeded Matchless Amps , which I did like the tones from the DC-30 which was a hot rod Vox AC-30 . The original Matchless DC-30 go for good bucks nowadays if you can find them . Talk about a box of knobs . I remember seeing Peter Gabriel several times in the early 90's and his guitarist David Rhodes was getting some really juicy tones thru the Matchless DC-30 combo , which he had a pair and maybe a speaker cabinet or 2 . So either the Matchless or the Bad Cat reminds me of a Vox AC-30 on steroids and a pleasant tone to my ears .

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  8. El Gringo

I have an early 90's Tube Screamer that I got when they first reissued them and it worked well during my Fender combo days . I tried once with My 2555X's and not so good and that's okay as I don't need it .

Mitchell Pearrow and PowerTube44 like this.
  9. El Gringo

That was very good . I have listened to her before and I am impressed with her tone and to me she is cut from the same cloth as SRV . I liked her tasteful use of the Cry baby and her slide as well . Lest I forget she has the voice with some nice real growl to it as well . Sounds very rich and authentic both her work on the fretboard and her vocals . Good Taste Rick !

10. El Gringo

I always thought the same thing that Tele were butt ugly and because of Keef I had to get a Butterscotch maple board Tele and it was okay . Then I got a Rosewood Tele in 2016 and to my surprise it worked and sounded really well thru my 2555X's and then I got a Vintage 69 double bound alder maple neck Custom Telecaster and it sounds exactly like Keef through my 2555X's and then a few months back I got a Pink paisley Alder Body Tele and threw some ThroBak's in her and she rocks as well . Really weird that I have 4 Teles and they work very well , while no matter what I try with my 3 Strats at home they sound like puke -yuck . Still doesn't stop me from throwing more money trying to get a workable sound with different pickups and different set ups and settings and still no dice .

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ROFLMFAO.

El Gringo likes this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

thanks bro i have all her disks and dvds too.

El Gringo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Stratocaster.

I mean, they can sound absolutely heavenly in the hands of the proper player - the album “Remarkably Human” by Nick Johnston comes to mind - but every time I pick one up it just feels like an awkwardly shaped, ergonomically disastrous, overly complicated, finicky, thin and bright piece of tree bark.

Just because it doesn’t work for me doesn’t mean I don’t wish it did, though…

14. ricksdisconnected

make it happen.

15. PowerTube44

Stratocaster Trivia: Most on here probably already know this, but I'll say it for those who don't. Leo Fender, for reasons known only to Leo Fender, patented ONLY the headstock design of the Stratocaster.

That's why there are a bazillion Strat copies hanging in the stores, but none of them have the actual Strat headstock shape. They can be 100% exact in everything else, but not the headstock (doesn't apply to Squier or Charvel, of course).

16. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

The EVH 5150 is a distortion pedal as is the Metal Zone, not fuzz. Same with the DS-1 and the Digitech Valve Distortion.

The Big Muff and Metal Muff are fuzz pedals, but I get what you mean. :cheers:

17. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I'm used to hearing this as a Quo fan/player, of course. Fact of the matter (for me) is, it's fun, it's possible long after the amount of alcohol that prevents any really intricate stuff and, believe it or not, it's actually harder to make it sound good than most people think. Yes, any idiot can pick up a guitar and do the 12 bar blues/boogie shuffle/etc, but it takes finesse to make it sound pleasing. I've always had a sort of admiration for those who do a lot with little. Music, circuits, code, materials, applies to anything to a degree.

Sure. You undoubtedly know more about guitars than I do. That said, I'm going to have to agree with likes of for example Keith Richards who find the Tele the most versatile guitar out there. There's a lot of taste involved, too. If you don't like single coils (I'm not talking about Teles with humbuckers, etc) and you don't like the Tele twang, then a Tele is not going to float your boat, most likely...

Finally! Yes! Someone else who figured this out! :cheers:

El Gringo likes this.
  18. ricksdisconnected

and they to me sound more like distortion pedals. :shrug:

PowerTube44 and StrummerJoe like this.
  19. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Well, that's because...well you, ya know? :h5:

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  20. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

What I don't get the hype about are floating bridges. So you want to dive a la SRV, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, etc, etc, etc. OK, you get a bridge that can do that. We all know the usual candidates for this. Then you want to bend up - and you grab for the whammy bar? Why?

Maybe I'm really missing something here, but I experimented a fair deal with this when I got my Strat. Sure, the stock Fender bridge is a pretty poor implementation and it stays in tune about as well as a dead fish, but even when putting that aside - I can't really 'dig' it. I just don't see much of a use case. Maybe if you have a locked nut and can't pinch the strings on the headstock? :shrug: