I desecrated my Telecaster... and I love it!

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oooo, I got the angry eyes!

:rofl:

If I took out the rails and replaced them with P-90's. am I redeemed, or is that just another level of sacrilege?
No, that's definitely an improvement. I think so anyway. Somebody makes a Tele bridge size P90, but I can't remember where I saw it. I really want to try one if I can find them again.

I built my own P90 Tele. I'm thinking about adding a tone pot and a 3-way to make it a true esquire with the Eldred cocked wah mod. :hmm:

CWtHbsx.jpg

Bull Rock

Reaction score
No, that's definitely an improvement. I think so anyway. Somebody makes a Tele bridge size P90, but I can't remember where I saw it. I really want to try one if I can find them again.

I built my own P90 Tele. I'm thinking about adding a tone pot and a 3-way to make it a true esquire with the Eldred cocked wah mod. :hmm:

CWtHbsx.jpg
That's my kinda guitar. No frills and no fret markers.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no just wanted to know the pups, models, and the reason behind the swap.
looks nice though.
Ah, both sets are GFS.
Lil Puncher Tele rails before.
Switched to P-90 gold foil Alnico neck & Ferrite bridge.
Why?
Because of one of your P-90 threads...

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Tribute with binding, nice!!! Did it also come with the pickguard and those reflector knobs or did you do that?
All stock except the PCB.
I screwed up the original during the headache of installing SD P-Rails that I wound up putting in Shorty.
Replaced it with a Studio PCB that has P/P coil taps.
I did add the poker chip.

LOL, binding is 1/4" vinyl peel & stick pin stripe... :D
Talk about desecrated, we're back on topic.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never quite understand why folks buy single coil guitars, (Strat, Tele, etc.), and then change out the pickup, or pickups to humbuckers. Isn’t one of the reasons one buys a Strat or a Tele for the single coil sound?

The op actually said in the first post,…
“it sounds more like a Les Paul than a Tele”

Why not just use the LP?

I’m not trying to be a smart ass, I’m just asking.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I could never quite understand why folks buy single coil guitars, (Strat, Tele, etc.), and then change out the pickup, or pickups to humbuckers. Isn’t one of the reasons one buys a Strat or a Tele for the single coil sound?

Why not just use the LP?

I can give you the perfect answer to that: the guitar feels and sounds amazing.

I love the neck profile, the feel of the rounded fingerboard edges, the sustain, the heft, the string tension, the look, simply everything. The guitar is a dream to play. But I also enjoy a good humbucker tone.

So before I take a router to it I decided to throw in the DiMarzio and that worked just fine. :)

Eric'45

Reaction score
Fender Scale and Maple Neck feels different than a Les Paul.

Why not just use the LP?

Having a Humbucker Guitar with Fender Scale is nice to have sometimes. Also, modding Guitars is fun.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I have a reissue 54 tele. I was not enamoured with it. So I hot rodded it with 2 Seymore Duncan hotrails. For me it is easier to play than my LP so it get used. In fact I like it, but it does not sound as good as my LP (to my taste).

I kept the original pups for resale.

But strangely, although I am a humbucker type of guy, my go to axe is my deluxe strat with Single coil Seymore Duncan pups. Stacked OD pedals provide the sound that I like.

G

gkelm

Reaction score
Nice! Easily reversible, so if it makes you smile, it was a brilliant move. When I saw the title I though the router came out! Even then, it’s your guitar so make it more yours.

I do have a Strat and tele with traditional single coils all the way, and appreciate that, but have a couple other strats with buckers where it counts. If I only had one tele, it would have a bucker.

If that dimarzio is splittable, that might be another small but worthwhile mod.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender Scale and Maple Neck feels different than a Les Paul.

Having a Humbucker Guitar with Fender Scale is nice to have sometimes. …….
Aha, ok, that’s good I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks Eric.

@GuitarIV, it funny, I feel the same way about Les Pauls that you do Teles! Haha, l’m not a huge Tele fan, I have one, (because I should), and I play it once in a while, not my cup of tea though.

I do prefer 24.75 scale over 25.5 or whatever it is.