I can't decide what to do

What should I do?

• Spend the €200 on everything and continue saving for the goldtop

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Leave out the strap and spend €130 and save for goltop

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Screw buying stuff, go for the goldtop.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Redstone

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kinda stumped on this one. I can't make up my mind.

I need a new guitar cable. I could use a decent comfy strap, because I usually get a very soar shoulder from playing even for 10-20 mins. I'm thinking about the Gibson Fatboy. I tried one last year and I'm really sorry I didn't bring it home with me then. Here is the dilemma part. I'm trying to save for a 56 Goldtop VOS. I've got €600 saved so far, so I'm about 1/6 of the way there. If I but the strap, cable, some stings and cleaning stuff, it would run me about €200 (€400 left over) and without the strap €130 (€470 left over). I'm really in love with goldtops for the past year and would love with a big fat 50's neck. I'll finally have the chance to play a brand new one during the summer so that will be the ultimate decider on whether I like the guitar, or only it's looks and sound. I've got to raise €3200 for the goldtop and with college around the corner, I'm probably screwed, especially as I will probably need to upgrade my computer for the course I'm going to do.

I'll put a poll above (If I can figure it out) so I can see what you guys think.

Any advice on anything relative is appreciated :thumb:

dirtysteev

Reaction score
You have two SG's in the stable, sell one. Hell, sell them both. You can only play one guitar at a time anyhow, and without a strap or a cable, not even that efficiently.

thrawn86

Reaction score
Gotta get a comfortable strap. If you had a great knife with a crappy handle, how often would you use it? It will set you back, but you need it.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
save your money for college, then see what is left over and go from there.

later, when you have degree+the good job+ the $$$, you can get whatever you want and laugh at the idea of saving up! Seriously, you can go on the used market and get one later on, or perhaps they'll reissue this goldtop later. But hey, I'm a college grad so I guess I'm biased.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright Red :wave:

Would it be worth seeing how much you could get private or the shop would trade for the 2011 SG towards it?
Keep the Angus one though that's ace!
Just a thought to move things along without you having to skint yourself-plus you'd still have an awesome SG!

:thumb:

Redstone

Reaction score
Alright Red :wave:

Would it be worth seeing how much you could get private or the shop would trade for the 2011 SG towards it?
Keep the Angus one though that's ace!
Just a thought to move things along without you having to skint yourself-plus you'd still have an awesome SG!

:thumb:

I'm planning on letting the 2011 SG go soon, maybe closer to summer. I don't really play it much so might as well sell it. As for the Angus Sg, no amount of money could make me part with her, she has thought me so much and just fits me like a glove. I got it new in 2008 and I'll have it until 2098.

I could sell my Gretsch, although I don't think I would, for at least the next 10 years or so. I bough it for $2800 US and I just saw a lefty version in the same condition go for $7500 US.

If I sold the SG I would have about 1200, and If I could get my VM solf I would have about 1600. I'd only be half way to the 3200 euro price tag. Maybe I can convince the guy at the store to cut me a deal and get a few hundred off so I wont have to save as much for it.

Oh well, I guess I'll do some pondering and see if I can come up with any ways to get some money. :thumb:

Redstone

Reaction score
save your money for college, then see what is left over and go from there.

later, when you have degree+the good job+ the $$$, you can get whatever you want and laugh at the idea of saving up! Seriously, you can go on the used market and get one later on, or perhaps they'll reissue this goldtop later. But hey, I'm a college grad so I guess I'm biased.

All my fees are covered, I just have to pay for a new computer so I'm not completely stuck. Plus the one I have right now will do the job for a while if needs be. :thumb:

GuitarBuilder

Reaction score
If you don't address the shoulder issue now, you won't be able to play the even heavier R6 later.

BTW - you can easily find much less expensive cables and straps.

Redstone

Reaction score
If you don't address the shoulder issue now, you won't be able to play the even heavier R6 later.

BTW - you can easily find much less expensive cables and straps.

That price isn't just for the cable and strap, its for some cleaning supplies, oils, rags, polish, a new tuner, a few packs of strings etc. I'm pretty much decided on the strap but I'm going to consider leaving out the new tuner and cleaning stuff. My tuner works, its just a bit of a pain in the ass to use. I'm going to try have a search for a cheaper cable too. I want to buy a cable that will last and is pretty long. I like to wander when I play :thumb:

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I voted for No.1. Whatever guitars you end up with, you have to have a strap. Better to just get one and get it out of the way. If you can buy a goldtop today, you can buy one tomorrow. A little more time is worth the investment.

Aside from that, who knows - maybe you'll come accross some more cash. Maybe you'll find a great deal on a goldtop. To be honest, I'd find it hard to believe you'd be turned down on a guitar that expensive simply because you're a hundred bucks short. It's not every day that a customer walks in willing to spend that much. So you could possibly get a break.

Redstone

Reaction score
I voted for No.1. Whatever guitars you end up with, you have to have a strap. Better to just get one and get it out of the way. If you can buy a goldtop today, you can buy one tomorrow. A little more time is worth the investment.

Aside from that, who knows - maybe you'll come accross some more cash. Maybe you'll find a great deal on a goldtop. To be honest, I'd find it hard to believe you'd be turned down on a guitar that expensive simply because you're a hundred bucks short. It's not every day that a customer walks in willing to spend that much. So you could possibly get a break.

I'm usually try to bargain the price down when I'm buying in a store. I mamaged to talk my Angus SG down by 550 euro and my YJM and 1960av down by nearly 200 euro. I'd be hoping that I could talk it down a few hundred at least. They have just dropped by 200 on one site to try and sell them. If and when I do buy one, I'll probably buy it in a store locally if possible.:thumb:

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on letting the 2011 SG go soon, maybe closer to summer. I don't really play it much so might as well sell it. As for the Angus Sg, no amount of money could make me part with her, she has thought me so much and just fits me like a glove. I got it new in 2008 and I'll have it until 2098.

I could sell my Gretsch, although I don't think I would, for at least the next 10 years or so. I bough it for $2800 US and I just saw a lefty version in the same condition go for $7500 US.

If I sold the SG I would have about 1200, and If I could get my VM solf I would have about 1600. I'd only be half way to the 3200 euro price tag. Maybe I can convince the guy at the store to cut me a deal and get a few hundred off so I wont have to save as much for it.

Oh well, I guess I'll do some pondering and see if I can come up with any ways to get some money. :thumb:
I know you probably won't want to hear this, but you asked. if the SG fits you like a glove? why so die hard on a gold top? a little more depth to my question. I have for my entire life wanted a gold top. hell for that matter I always wanted the ever loved Les Paul period. A few years back on my quest to find "the guitar that fit me like a glove" purchased my first of two Gibson Firebirds. Holy Cow, it truly does fit me like a glove. since then, I purchased a 2013 Les Paul. as much as I like saying that I have one? it never, hardly ever gets played. At all period. At this point and time in my life, I no longer have a huge desire for a gold top as it will sit in the practice room in its case just like my current one does. My opinion, is buy what you need now to play to your hearts content. if the time comes you have the money and you still want a gold top that bad, then get it. necessity wins every time.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'd be content sitting down or using washing line with the goldtop.... I don't see why straps have to be so expensive (unless the leather really warrants it). Sure, there are these '2nd hand seatbelts' that slip around like nobody's business, but I've found the Fender Pick N Strap (or whatever they're called) for under 10 Dollars/Pounds/Euros just fine. No locking (so you want straplocks with that), but suits me fine and doesn't break the bank. Might look a bit odd on a goldtop, but if people are looking at the strap, you're doing something wrong, or they're clueless.... :D

1645638022668.png

tschrama

Reaction score
15..45 dollar soldering station, fix the cable ur self. Secondhand clothing store to pickup some comfy fabric to make you guitar strap comfy. By the wife and or childeren something good, safe for education or a rainy day.

3600 dollar on a gibson? Nfw

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
It always gets me seeing names that I haven't seen in years and thinking oh cool, he's back! Then I notice the post date and it's like, aw man.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It always gets me seeing names that I haven't seen in years and thinking oh cool, he's back! Then I notice the post date and it's like, aw man.

I've found more than my fair share from the Wild West days! Good memories 😂