I am officially Marshall-less.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Well I haven't gigged with the band since Covid started because I have a thing about not getting ill, not even a cold.

Its not a germ-a-phobe thing either, I'll eat the blankity blank of a two day dirty woman, ...that actually could be longer.

I won't give up my Marshall amps or any tube equipment at least until I know I'm done gigging for good. Even then I like building them so that might just be my hobby from now on. I've been in music since I was in 2nd grade.

OP has a right to do as he wishes. Not gonna debate tube/SS/modeling staying in music should be the focus. The notion of a tube shortage, real or not, driving my decisions in music sounds like a nightmare I can't wake up from😵‍💫

Just don't be playing Guitar Hero or Rock Band or any of those stupid plastic baby toys and coming here telling us your score like it means something.
:shred2:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I haven't gigged with the band since Covid started because I have a thing about not getting ill, not even a cold.

Its not a germ-a-phobe thing either, I'll eat the blankity blank of a two day dirty woman, ...that actually could be longer.
That is both sad and hilarious

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never stopped gigging? in all that time, I manage to test positive once and it was like a bad cold, lasted about 3 days at best. I'm not discounting the possible severity of it, but if I'm going to die, I'm going in sliding.

ken361

Reaction score
We do what we have to do. No argument there. But I do agree you can’t get a tube sound out of a SS. My 6 month old DSL20HR is on its way to a warranty repair (extremely loud hum) and I am back to my Katana or Fender Tone Master.
As much as they are great amps they just don’t sound like my Marshall.
Mind you, the Katana and Fender have not had quality issues but that’s a different post all together
Hum could be a power tube my old dsl 40 did it twice . 6 months on the first set up tubes. The 20 watts should not be as hard on tubes.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
The best amp sims I've heard are from Neural DSP. If you have a computer and an audio interface, download a free demo of the Fortin Cali. Its can do really high gain metal stuff (not my thing), but a really good classic sound can be pulled out of it as well. It's hard to get, but it's in there.

Quad cortex is great too if you want to run the sims on that. But it's expensive.

Boss Katanas sound good too. To my ears the Catalyst has a weird eq curve, maybe its crunch channel is based on an Orange amp instead of a Marshall. Has a lot of upper bass. I could get what I want by using the usb editor hooked to a computer to eq it and save into some presets.

ITburst

Reaction score
Hum could be a power tube my old dsl 40 did it twice . 6 months on the first set up tubes. The 20 watts should not be as hard on tubes.
We looked at the tubes and they seemed ok.
Transformer maybe? I don’t know but I’ll let the pros figure it out. Hopefully they do. As I said, it’s under warranty.

Listogast

Reaction score
This makes me curious, have there been any updates to the CODE line to improve their tones? I don't really hear about those amps anymore, but they could have a lot of potential.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
For a working process , writing recording sending tracks It is a great tool. If you don’t need to blow the curtains around the tube amp can rest.

I will build one but unless I can attenuate it it will rest . Of course the tube amp has its place.

Last edited:

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Tube shortage is temporary. We all know that, so why any panic.

My Fender reverb amp probably has 35 year old tubes in it. It is not screaming for any new ones yet.

My Marshall SS amps will never need tubes and sound just great!

Tubes, don't fail me now!

CODE amps, lots of fun there also.
Enjoy!

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I sold my DSL 40c , DSL 100 years ago and I still don’t have a Marshall unless you count the Park G25 SS. The only amp I miss is the DR.
I have the HX Stomp and I got a Powercab Plus.
I have not totally found how I want to use it.
But I found a video that is pretty decent.

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
I DID however pick up a couple more NICE-sounding 5-watt amps that only have a single preamp tube and a single power tube in case it ever becomes a real issue. I got a second Fender Vibro-Champ XD and an Epiphone Valve Junior combo (that sounds GREAT with a 'bump' from an OD pedal). Both have a decent low-decibel clean sound as well. I always laughed at the Epi until I heard a buddy playing thru his that he was selling cheap, so I bought it.

Last edited:

Moony

Reaction score
"I'm officially Marshall-less... I ordered a Line 6 Catalyst 60"

giphy.gif

:D

Latest posts