HX Stomp

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Shane Stevenson, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I’m needing a processor to run direct through a PA system. Somebody recommended the HX Stomp for what I’m looking for. Basically I want to have a delayed clean, overdrive, and boost. Is anybody using the Stomp? If so, whatcha think about it?

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'v had a bunch and settled on the HX Effects unit because of all it can do, sounds great, easy to control and runs great with a 4 CM set up. It has so many to choose from in it, everything from the big Helix units except the amps & cabs. (Much easier to run) Right now you can buy it for less than the Stomp, no idea why. Go to the HX Effects online manual and look at all the effects it them. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-multi-effects-floor-processor-worship-bundle
    I just sold my Helix LT and will stick with this.

3. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

As Ampeq mentioned take a look at the HX Effects if you don’t need amp and cabs. I have the Helix LT and am incredibly happy with it - both the tones and ease of use. The entire Helix family has the same effects so even though I have the LT there’s no difference in the delays, drives, etc.

4. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I have a Stomp and a Headrush Pedalboard. I am a Marshall guy and IMO the Headrush sounds better.. even than my AA6 for Marshall tones. I don't really go for any other tones so I can't comment on that.

5. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Im more attracted to the bigger HeadRush Pedelboard but just didn’t know if it had amp / cab emulators.

I have to be honest and say that I know nothing about going direct into a PA system and that I’m not a fan doing this. I have been told that since I’ve been on quality tube amps all of my life, I would need to buy a processor with amp / cab emulators to feel close to home. I’m also assuming that I would need some sort of self monitoring system and I refuse to use in ears or headphones. I considered the HeadRush powered 12” or 8” monitor.

6. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Yes, the Headrush models amps and cabs as well as FX, etc. It will also allow you to add IRs and use them. It just has a more real and raw tone IMO than the Helix.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

There are good tones in the Line 6 stuff (I have a Helix and an HX Effects), but it takes a little bit of effort up front to learn the tricks to unlocking them.

8. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

For less than half the price, check out the Vox ToneLab SE. I own an original ToneLab and VC-4 foot controller, which I have occassionally used straight into the PA in stereo. I have yet to hear another modeler that compares to these units (and the LE version), probably because Vox incorporated a 12AX7 into a power tube circuit in them. As with anything that comes with presets, very few are useable until tweaked.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/tonelab_se.html