Hurry to buy a Mesa before Gibson changes things or not?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Buzzard, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’ve got a deal in the works for a Mesa mk v 90w head used off of a private seller. Can’t find a new one for nothing. Totally sold out. Mesa is having trouble getting parts especially the bigger transformers for 100 watters from what I hear. Even used these are a decent chunk of change at least for me. Being a private seller I’m taking a chance with any issues. Ie: no return policy. Plus my tech quit doing repairs to focus on building pedals and custom work. Question is do I jump on this or wait for a store with a return policy. I’ve missed out on at least 3 from guitar center used. The last one pissed me off because it was cheaper and I went through through the whole ordering process only to be told at the end that it had already been sold.

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

hum, i see why you want to get in before the big change if its coming.
    i too expect that it will. tough call here honestly. damned if ya do damned if ya dont.
    i dont know that the masses are trying to buy up before the change but its possible.
    look what happened to the kramer and valley arts guitar line once gibson got them. they just arent the same.

3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Buy it man. Pretty reliable amp. You could get some good use out of it before any become available.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

As I've heard, Gibson's management is dead set on letting Mesa do its own thing and that's by far the best way for Mesa to keep bringing in the revenue. Gibson knows they've bought a true crown jewel and they're not going to screw this one up. Gibson's approach to Mesa is very "hands off" and all they've really done is given Mesa more resources to exploit.

There are NO plans to change Mesa's daily operations or how they design and produce amplifiers.

At most, it may be that Mesa may be given the task of producing a select few models of amps bearing the Gibson or Epiphone name. But the Mesa name and their quality standards aren't going anywhere.

Gibson will continue to have some "affordable" amps produced offshore. But they won't bear Mesa's name on them. Epiphone, probably. Mesa shall remain a US based manufacturer of premium quality amplifiers for the foreseeable future. Expect no changes that affect quality or how the amps are designed and made.

5. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I don't know about any future plans for the company but the Mesa Mark V 90w is a Man's amp. I've had prob 150 amps in my day and that is def in the top 20

Trelwheen and jmp45 like this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I haven't had a Mark IV or V but I had a blue stripe long head Mark III that was utterly ferocious. I'd have to say that it was the best amp I ever owned that didn't have to be cranked to sound its best. It was better at bedroom practice volume levels than the vast majority of other amps at ANY volume.

I wish I'd been able to keep that one. But I bought it to flip it for a profit, could not afford to hold it, and did make a nice profit on it. I'll have another one sooner or later.

7. aberry9475

aberry9475 Active Member

I've never bought a messy booger, so if this sounds ignorant then it almost certainly is. But I only buy used amps anymore and reliability is never a concern. All tube amps require at least basic maintenance to perform best and last longest. And if you got an amp that wasn't as advertised, I'd think that should deride any absence of a return policy. Like..they can't sell you an amp with a blown OT and say it's mint, unless you're dealing with some jabroni on Craigslist I guess. Just my .02

8. Buzzard

We’ll close... Facebook marketplace. He’s a member of one of the Mesa Facebook groups.

9. Buzzard

Let’s hope.

10. Buzzard

Holy crap 150 amps. And I thought I had a lot (too many).

11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Well I’ve run through at least that many but no I’ve never been sitting on more than a dozen or so. Love the MV90 tho—hope your deal goes through I think you will love that amp.

jmp45 likes this.
  12. Buzzard

Thank you. I can’t say I’ve tried many different brands. Just the major ones. Just own one boutique type, suhr. Never tried orange,Laney ,etc. Tried 3 Friedman’s but won’t spend that kind of cash on new. I’ll try to find a dirty Shirley 40 h or twin sister... some day.

13. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I’ve heard some of the Kramer models are supposed to be kick ass now, they re-released the nightswan and put out a snake sabo signature model.

14. ricksdisconnected

a sabo model? woooow. sabo jams

15. saxon68

Very cool story here. He used the original on most of the first album and some of slave to the grind.

16. ricksdisconnected

damn he looks different lol.

17. saxon68

Lol all of us in our 50s do hahahaha.

Frodebro and ricksdisconnected like this.
  18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I would take a Friedman any day over a Mesa

19. Buzzard

What does that have to anything do with this thread and why should anyone care?

20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

ricksdisconnected and El Gringo like this.