Humidity killed my tone !

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Nov 14, 2020.

1. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Yes. Many times. Acoustic and electric, across different guitars and amps. Almost always after warming up, finding something interesting to play, and maybe dialing in settings, things suddenly sound right. Sometimes it takes longer than other times. And once in a while I just can't get engaged with it and do something else instead. I never could nail it down to anything other than that such as temperature, humidity, wall voltage, bias.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  2. tjnugent

tjnugent New Member

I once moved to a townhouse and the jam room was the Bermuda Triangle of Tone. Nothing sounded good in there. How did I fix it? I moved..

Cheers and may your Marinara be tanging and tonlicious.

Mitchell Pearrow, Kelia and ken361 like this.
  3. tonefinder

tonefinder Member

In 1990, I had an 800. Warming up at a gig, it sounded amazing. But 30-min in, there was always a dropoff in tone. A friend with a reissue Plexi reported the same thing. For my part, back then I was young and poor, didn't know to have the amp serviced

I don't have this problem with my current 2203 and 2204.

Anyway, the OP is playing through more than just a speaker... could also be something with his amp.

4. aberry9475

aberry9475 Member

You change as well. Both mentally and physically, i.e. look up the eustachian tube. Seems to be more of a winter thing for some people.

If you have the means, it is good to climate control your studio. For me that's a dehumidifier in the summer and humidifier in the winter, plus a purifier year round but that's not as necessary. You can get an inkbird controller to accurately maintain everything.

It's good for everything. Some guitars are less stable than others through temp/humidity changes. Metal parts will oxidize more quickly in higher humidity. Speaker cones, as mentioned, are made of paper and suffer from higher humidity. Mold spores and pests will proliferate in higher humidity, etc.

If you've got some nice gear and care about it, it's worth the investment in a couple pieces of equipment to maintain it.

Kelia, Rusty Strings and 56Alpha like this.
  5. 56Alpha

56Alpha New Member

^^This is true.

6. 56Alpha

56Alpha New Member

I haven't thought about this. Dammit I just bought a power conditioner, a 31 band EQ, an Empress Buffer+, and an 1176 clone. More has to be spent now...

Kelia likes this.
  7. jonnybrelliott

jonnybrelliott New Member

Oh, man - I had this Roland Cube 60 Keyboard amp I used to run my Boss GT-5, and I was in this band where we were playing really complicated and interesting stuff, and I just completely forgot to think about the tone. And... no, that's it. Worse things happen.

8. Rusty Strings

Rusty Strings Active Member

As it was mentioned above many times, I also have a similar experience regarding humidity and temperature changing the tone of my amps or the tone perception of the ear. I also hasten to add that the tone and feel from warm vs cold pups have a fair influence.
    And one more thing, if you think you are having a lovely tone and a fantastic practice, expect your next session to be tedious with an average tone/feel at best. I almost always experience this, when I have high expectation from my last practice. So I learned to enjoy the tone, work hard and keep my expectation low so my next guitar practice is not too frustrating.....

Kelia likes this.
  9. 56Alpha

56Alpha New Member

I can't not think about my tone. I've spent my entire guitar career obsessing over tone. I started out on piano and eventually moved to the cello long before I played guitar, and a part of me longs for that full and robust sound. However since hearing Slash play the end of November Rain I've been unable to put the guitar down.

Kelia likes this.
  10. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Lets be real here, I really think this is boiling down (pun intended) to the Flying Spaghetti Monster...aka Pastafarianism.

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Fill a spray bottle with warm water and first play with your speakers in a dry state. Then spray a light mist on the cone and start playing and I'm sure you'll immediately hear a difference. Record yourself before and after and you'll be able to prove it to anybody.

Kelia likes this.
  12. NoelH

NoelH Member

Your amp didn't change. The density of the air that's moving in the room changed. You could take a blowdryer to your amp and speakers I suppose, but when the humidity leaves the room, I think you'll find the tone will return to normal. I used to have a house in the Couer d'Alene area. 3700 Sq. ft with a huge basement, that would get damp in late Autumn through March or so. I could tell the difference in tone between when I brought the amp upstairs vs. the basement.

AMPPILOT and Kelia like this.
  13. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Active Member

My amps are in the basement of my house now, whereas when I was living with my parents, they were in a bedroom in the upstairs. They have more punch now and I love it. Not quite as open sounding, but I'm gonna play with it some.

Kelia likes this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Bought a APC voltage regulator helps keep my tone in place at all times :)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Which one did you get,....this is something I need

16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

WarrenW likes this.
  17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

bought a new open box on ebay 23.00 Apc site is pretty cheap. might want the 1200 also.

Kelia and WarrenW like this.
  18. WarrenW

WarrenW New Member

Thats is some inexpensive protection !! We use to have , I'll be polite and say "less Frequent" Power Outages. It has got better but then it seems the earthquakes and 90 MPH+windstorms have got more frequent! Nice Score!

19. wayne856

wayne856 New Member

im surprised you fellows never heard of using WD40 on your speakers .wipe them down with it just a lite coating keeps them from drying out ..keeps them pliable.

20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

if you play gigs, ect. there are going to be some bad power there and the amps are going to sound like crap:)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.