How's your Guitar Enthusiasm these Days?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

After about 35 years of playing with my twanger, I feel it's just not happening anymore for me. I did take about a 12-year break some years ago, and when I came back it never ever seemed to be completely sincere for me ..was kinda forced and seemed like "the thing to do" because I always did it.

I'm at the top of my game too so there is a large investment loss for me. In the past, I've always wanted to at least keep it up ...just in case. Now, for the first time, I really don't even care about that as much anymore. There is an odd feeling of a fresh "new leaf" at the thought of .."moving on" ...kinda like getting out of a certain "fake guitar word bubble" I've been in for some years. It feels "fresh" actually when I "don't" play. :hmm:

Not gonna sell any gear because I still dig it; even though I have to stop looking at it for a while - It feels weird and kinda depressing.

I still DIG being here and yukin' it up with the club about the gear and stuff. Maybe I just like that better now.

How's your twanger doing for y'all?

:drunk:

kinleyd and ibmorjamn like this.
  2. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I go through phases where my interest wanes from time to time, but I find playing with my band does a lot to rejuvenate me. It has been a little more difficult to play with the band under the current circumstances, but with good weather, we are able to play again outdoors.

For me, the thing that helps to keep my interest the most is just doing something different with the guitar. Learning new music or technique is always helpful. A new project is always good -- I just got involved in a project with local musicians to record original music together. I've been playing the guitar on and off since the early 80's, and I know I still have a ton more to learn.

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What you're describing is usually called being in a rut. This calls for change if you want to get out of the rut, I find the best thing is find new people to play with, learn new material, start a new band, go out and make some money so there's a purpose to all this. Sometimes a new piece of gear may it be an amp, guitar, pedals, recording equipment can spark things up. Then you always have the option to put the gear away out of sight and take a break from it for however long you need, a few days, weeks, months, years, whatever that may be until you miss it or feel the urge to pick it up again. Go do other things and don't feel bad about it, you'll come back to it when you're ready if its meant to be. :yesway:

Me personally I've been in a rut for several years and have fulfilled my musical interests tone chasing, buying different amps, guitars, pickups, pedals, its kept me interested until I can find the right people to play with, jamming with other like minded musicians is my favorite thing to do which I have not found since I moved to a different state several years ago, I can't blame it solely on that I've gotten lazy too. But I love all my gear they're my babies. :yesway:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with GAS. You just lack the knowledge and theory needed to endeavor.

5. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Pretty low these days - I don't even think about playing or recording at this point in time. Can't play any way, not the way I used to. Messed up arm, lack of enthusiasm, other interests with equal or even more appeal, etc.

Hope it comes back, I always viewed guitar playing as a life long craft...now I'm not so sure.

MarshallDog and Sapient like this.
  6. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Still my favorite thing to do.

Sapient likes this.
  7. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I had been in a rut for quite some time, but it started to fade a bit around the time that my daughter turned 6 months old ... it was aound then that she first took notice of the guitars, and once she reached up and plucked her first string, I was pretty much hooked again. Now it's something that we do together on a regular basis ... get out a guitar, play around with learning how to connect the guitar to the amp, how to connect pedals using patch cables, how to turn the knobs to adjust the sound, etc ... and yeah, once it's turned on, she loves to hit the strings and make a lot of noise! I also really enjoy just putting on some music to play along with for her. I'll admit that my skills have dropped off a bit, and while I'm not sure whether I'll ever get that back due to restrictions in time I have to actually play, I will say that my renewed interest more than makes up for it. I'm having a lot of fun, and that's what it's all about.

8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

We all get a little depressed from time to time but you have get back on track some times . You have to be thankful for what you have and don’t let depression run your life

9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Start something new...slide guitar, bass guitar etc...

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have taken 2 different breaks, first one lasted 5 years, sold all my gear (big mistake)
    The second time around it was aprox. 15 years, sold all the gear again. Another (big mistake) because it is all considered vintage now, and quite pricey.
    My rut that I am in is pretty much like Pedecamp‘s no like minded people to play with, but I am still going to slug through it.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    MarshallDog, jmp45, GIBSON67 and 2 others like this.
  11. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Im trying to stop buying ....even cheap guitars take up space
    I think I may be at the end of a 12yr woman relationship . I had guitars at her place that are all back at my palatial estate now ....coupled with the ones that were already here

Ive sold a couple amps / speaker cabs ....that actually felt pretty good . I dont see a bright future, or a lotta use for 4x12 cabs on the horizon ...Maybe I should just have one at the house ,rather than four

I think I still feel pretty inspired about playing . I just don't think there are so many more repair projects / rescues in the works

Good luck everybody

12. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Very well first i suckt at guitarplaying you know but when the vhs video came out well things changed my first video i watch is the Michael angelo master session breaks new ground in guitar teaching waths his warm up just clean no distorsion and up stroke techique allso his octave position playing and f# harmonic minor study well i was o my god just clean if he can do it so i em well i em not equal equivalent but it helps my view of the matter listen to him practice practice practice my next video its from reh video Its joey tafolla shredding a man here some pictures 15941418817456483074872415209931.jpg

13. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

And now on dvd paul gilbert get out of my yard jesus 15941423217958574474857225831003.jpg

14. Sapient

:hmm: - I don't get this one? Are you responding to another thread?

John BNY and Sustainium like this.
  15. Sapient

Funny - the first thing I did after writing the OP is to have a smoke ..then I played a bit to see how it went. It felt pretty good, actually.

Does this make me manic depressive?? Lol.

Thanks for all your awesome responses and virtual therapy. :)

I'll just take the guitar as it comes now, I guess.

:yesway:

16. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I went through something similar. I was self-taught on guitar and piano. After 35 years, I thought myself to be pretty damn good on both. Then I went to a university and became classically trained. That was a huge wakeup call. I learned that almost everything I had taught myself was wrong, and that I really sucked at both. Playing contemporary music is one thing, and almost anyone can get by with bad training. Classical music is another matter.

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.
  17. Sapient

How long you been playing, dude?

18. Sapient

"Go do other things and don't feel bad about it, you'll come back to it when you're ready if its meant to be"

:yesway::yesway:

pedecamp and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member

Mine's good, but I haven't been doing it a really long time like the OP and many responders. I do need to slow down on buying. I think I have all I need right now, but I do have my eye on 2 more guitars and I have some NOS tubes in carts on two different web sites. Tubes I don't already have in my inventory.

Sapient and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Rudy v

Rudy v Well-Known Member

Never give up playing i have broke my 2fingers mid and index 5years ago a slap of concreed falling on my 2fingers so i have to start all over again it hurts the 4notes on a string slow next triads and up stroke techique i still feel some pain but i never stop playing guitar