>

how would I go about verifying the authenticity of a Hendrix 4X12 ( asking for a friend )

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Grant Dickeson, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Grant Dickeson

Grant Dickeson New Member

Very old Marshall 4X12 slope front, J. H. EXP. HANDLE WITH CARE on the back.
    Bought 1971 , been in storage for the last 40 years.
    How would I go about authentication and verification for this cabinet ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Marshall made lots of cabs in the '60s and '70s, and stencils and spray paint have been around since at least WWII. First step is to verify that the cab was built before Jimi died, but that only means it might possibly be one of Jimi's cabs.

So provenance is key. Where, when, how did your friend get it? From who? Is any part of the story verifiable or documented?

Next is examining every pic of Jimi your friend can find. Grille cloth tears and tolex tears are like fingerprints. The stencils were hand applied so they're all a little different. A picture showing it on stage with Jimi or Jimi's other gear would go a long way.
    --------------------------
    The minute news of Jimi's death got out, the vultures swooped in and stole everything they could get their claws on. This isn't a broken guitar he threw out into the audience. And while Jimi gave away guitars in his lifetime he wasn't known to give away cabs.

So it may actually be a bad thing if your friend can find convincing evidence of it being a Jimi cab. Strong chance that legally it belongs to Janie and the estate.

2L man and tomsvintage like this.
  3. Grant Dickeson

Thanks for that, I let my friend know.
    So how does it work with the high profile Marshall amplifiers that have been sold ?

4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

The recent head featured on Reverb a few months ago is widely suspected of being fake.

The one Christies sold in 2008 was acquired from Carlsbro Sound Center in England in '71, who got it from John Downing who was one of Jimi's roadies in '69/'69. It's a little unclear how Downing got it.

But English laws on stolen property are different than US laws. The customer in '71 bought it in good faith from a large, respected store believing the store had the lawful right to sell it. So he was the lawful owner of it.

US laws generally hold that stolen property always remains the property of the original owner. Regardless of whether a later purchaser thought it was legitimate.
    -------------------------
    It's impossible to be sure how this would play out if it can be established that it's actually a Jimi cab. The estate was badly managed in the early years. Nobody knew what all Jimi owned when he died and few or no theft reports were ever filed. Things that were in shops never got paid for or retrieved, so they became property of the shops. Jimi had storage units in Europe and the US -- it's entirely possible the estate didn't pay rent and things got auctioned off.

So rightful ownership can be very murky.
    --------------------------
    But cart before the horse -- while Jimi era cabs are valuable whether or not Jimi owned them, stencils don't add value unless there's some other corroboration that it was actually Jimi's cab.

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

yes, there's also the laws on statute of limitations, where so much time has passed, there's no longer a case...

similar to the case mentioned above, about acquiring in good faith, there was a case a few years back, about one of Ronnie Montrose's stolen guitars, that was a '59 Les Paul. Ended up Gary Moore had it...

Not sure how Moore got it, but, reportedly, he paid a good sum for it. It had the same ser# as Montrose's missing guitar. They were going to go to court over it, although, most legal minds believed that, while it appeared to be Montrose' guitar, that enough time had passed & the fact that Gary spent a considerable sum to acquire it, made it an uphill battle for Montrose, even if it was his rightful property...

Both Montrose & Moore died 1 year apart, & the case was never definitely settled. I think a lower court said that Moore could keep it, but was being appealed, when Ronnie committed suicide. Then Moore died about 1 year later, after a drinking binge...

So, as far as whether this cabinet is a Jimi cab, or not, there could be a case that it is stolen property, or not... But, maybe that's a can of worms that nobody wants to run up against...

You may be able to own it free & clear, but, there might be some drama that you'll have to endure, just to own it. Then, if it's a spoof... who'd want that?

6. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

What speakers are in it, date codes, cone codes ?

Mystic38 likes this.
  7. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Give us pics, we'll do our best!

mAx___ likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Ask his mom :shrug:

9. Grant Dickeson

There are 3 original celestion speakers, 02MA T1281 looks like it is a 1969 4X12 Bass cabinet, it has a 100 logo on the top left that only says 0 now.
    I will be uploading images later.

yladrd61 and GIBSON67 like this.
  10. yladrd61

You just might have a legit Hendrix cab there !!!!!

11. Grant Dickeson

IMG_1893.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Grant Dickeson

13. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Looks like December 68 and G12H 55Hz 30w speakers (T1281) so very promising.

The head is probably similar era

14. Grant Dickeson

I have no idea who, or what Grants tomb refers to.
    I am responsible for the warp III logo (s)

15. TAZIN

TAZIN Well-Known Member

I don't see any ribs on the back side of the cone so perhaps it's a re-cone? Also, does the cabinet have any other stenciling on the sides, top, or bottom?

16. yladrd61

Any codes on the cones ?

17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

18. Grant Dickeson

No stenciling on the sides, or top, there is some high density foam on the top, it has been there since I bought it in 1974.
    the cones do have ribs on them

19. TAZIN

TAZIN Well-Known Member

Any luck in tracing the cabinet serial number to any Hendrix documents? Most slant cabs had stenciling on the sides with the exception of at least cab that I'm aware of which has been verified/documented.
    A quick check through some of my Hendrix stuff didn't show a cab with the exact stenciling found on your cabs back panel...Some were close but no exact matches.

20. Grant Dickeson

Where would I start looking or finding the Hendrix documents ? I have had no response from Marshall about the cabinet serial numbers, sadly.