How to keep a cranked JCM800 SL 1959 100w at 95dB and keeping most of the sound quality?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Lars Haug, Apr 6, 2021.

1. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I would add the Hotplate to the list as well--esp if the OP is only looking to knock a few dBs off. Used they are much easier to grab than a Power Brake

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  2. Lars Haug

Lars Haug Member

Of course you are right. It's a bit silly. But still is some sort of direction, right? I'd be quite satisfied with my stack plus, for instance, a TAD Silencer or a Two Notes Torpedo..

In this thread I have learned a lot and I am very thankful for it. Goal achieved. Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Lars Haug

Lars Haug Member

Thanks for dropping by!

Bad Cat sounds interesting with its 2nd foot-switchable volume for solo volume boosts. For the moment I am using this for the solos: https://thorpyfx.com/products/heavy-water-double-booster

A little background: I played a lot in my teens and up until at about 25 years of age. This Bon Scott era tribute band of mine is some sort of "revival." I have played quiet a lot during the last two years, and the tribute band is half a year. So I'm saying I am kind of starting up. Thus I can get valuable inputs from this great forum. I am not going to put a lot of money into this until this corona charade is over and we can earn cash. The stack plus the etceteras already cost me a lot.

I like the Heavy Water, but I have no idea if the Bad Cat would do better. I will try to check it out in a local shop here. Thanks for the input!

I think I have found, thanks to you guys, some viable low budget solutions for master volume. Here I am also considering FX mod and extra gain mod. Considering. These things will also let me learn these things. It seems there is some sort of consensus about attenuators being what I am looking for. My local shop says the same, and they have suggested the Tube Amp Doctor Silencer. German brand, kind of unknown, but said to be of great quality.

Until my band can create some cash I will have to stay with way-less-than-optimal solutions.

WellBurnTheSky and dro like this.
  4. Justin Whitstine

Justin Whitstine Member

My vote is for a Fryette Power Station

Lars Haug likes this.
  5. rbb2245

rbb2245 Member

Lars Haug likes this.
  6. FogDweller

FogDweller Well-Known Member

It’s a very transparent attenuator, IMO. It’s also Johan Segeborn’s attenuator of choice.

Lars Haug likes this.
  7. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Badcat Unleash v2 for a significant discount by emailing Badcat and asking if they have any blems or returns or refurbished units.They loaded 5 up that same day and I snagged one at a discount.
    Worth a shot. Mine is as new and works perfectly. I had a V1 soI know what I am getting into. I also have a Weber and have used them for years.The Unleash is just so much better and does so much....fx loop, headphones, reamp little amps, DI for IRS if you choose....attenuators do not cause tube failures or destroy OTs if used properly. They simply allow you to crank your 1959 up and reduce the volume at your speakers. Your speakers don’t get hit as hard and that will change tone a bit, but not significantly with a quality attenuator. Tubes being CRANKED will of course wear our faster, but who cares? You WANT to crank your amp. Attenuators are our friends. Love the Unleash v2.

Lars Haug and wntbtw like this.
  8. John Stedman

John Stedman New Member

I use a Rivera RockCrusher Recording with my 1959SLP Reissue and I'm very happy with it. Perfect for rehearsals, gigging, recording, and it can do bedroom levels. The Recording version is quite expensive, but you might be able to find a used standard version ($550.00 USD retail new) closer to your budget.

---

Marshall 1959SLP Reissue / Marshall 1960AX/BX 4x12
    Marshall JCM 800 2205 / JCM 800 Lead Series 4x12 top
    Marshall TSL100 / Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 top
    Marshall JVM410H / Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 bottom

Lars Haug likes this.
  9. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

The whole attenuator thing is over rated. They DO deplete your tone and they DO create worrisome heat. I've used a dozen attenuators and the best are the Webers with the speaker parts inside. Still too expensive, no better for your tone than a good master volume, only marginally better than the $60 Carl's Custom Amps kind, which can't take 100 watts, and, the worst one is the THD Hot Plate, it's just a piece of junk. I've installed a variation on Trainwreck Volume 2 on a hundred amps and it's the best solution I've found so far, it's a great circuit. Except I pull the stock caps and put two .047 caps on each side to keep the same value. The number 1 worked okay too, but something about it bothers me. Pulling two tubes (of course you have to adjust your impedance switch down one notch) is okay but 50 watts is painfully loud too, I wouldn't bother.

Lars Haug likes this.
  10. greg420blues

greg420blues New Member

I've got a 1959 SLP reissue... and it's louder than Satan. I love it. But I obviously couldn't rehearse or practice at those levels so I looked into different options. Since it has a series effects loop, I built a "Volume Box" and it stuck it in. While it does a fantastic job, I'm not sure the 250k pot I used was right, so it felt like it wasn't really letting the guitar shine through. I do wanna go grab a 100k pot tho and see if it does the job. That is a cheap and "cool" way to do it because the box doesn't get hot.

Next, I tried the Fryette PowerStation 2. TONS of good things about this but it boiled down to 2 things for me. It got way too hot to deal with after a gig or full rehearsal (have to wait 20-30 to let it cool down to put back in its case or even handle it??), and it did color the sound a bit. Even though they claim/say it does not... I could hear it.

After that I tried running a couple rehearsals with my Dr Z Air Brake. PERFECTION. Only problem was, it only has 1 output. I'm also in an AC/DC cover band playing lead, so I would run my 2nd cab on stage right... so I needed a 2nd output. So... no bueno.

Finally, I was gifted a Weber Mass 150 and so I tried that. 2 outputs. Since it operates with 2 attenuating pots (High/Mid and Mid/Low) it allowed me to sculpt my tone for the room better. I've stuck with it ever since.

Dean Swindell and Lars Haug like this.
  11. yafal

yafal Member

Hi. Find an old Marshall Power Brake and connect it between your head and cabinet. You can down the volume a lot more than that, conserving the tone.

Lars Haug likes this.
  12. acromarmot

acromarmot New Member

In case no one else mentioned it: @JohnH created a relatively simple to build attenuator for something around 100 bucks and this thing does an amazing job. It's a full working setup with frequency response analysis which clearly shows he did it right and the sound is awesome even at very low volumes. Look at the workbench , it's a rather lengthy thread but the device is easy to make and sound quality is superb. I think this will bring you further than modding as it'S way easier and thus most likely way cheaper.
    If you pull two power tubes to only feed 50W into the attenuator it will be even cheaper as you can go for a lower power rating of the components.

Good luck!
    Cheers,
    acromarmot

Lars Haug and JohnH like this.
  13. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

I play rhythm for SoloDallas. We use Aracom Pro2/DAG attenuators, UAD OX, and Two Notes CAB M & Live.

IRs have really changed our process and couldn't be happier with the sounds we're now getting. As close as we've ever been. Something to consider.

We don't mod our amplifiers, so the Aracom, OX, or Two Notes might be your best solution. Great tone doesn't come cheap.

pentatonicwanker and Lars Haug like this.
  14. Silverburst

Silverburst Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Suhr Reactive Load. In a recent comparison vid it seemed to retain the highs quite better then the 2 notes torpedo reload. but it was only 1 vid I checked... have to do more research.

Any experience with the Suhr here?

Lars Haug likes this.
  15. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Get a Two Notes Captor X and if you decide that attenuation doesn't give you enough speaker volume then emulate them using the Two Notes software which is professional level impulse responses. An FRFR like a stage monitor as your main speaker for practice would work perfectly with this system. You could even leave your 4x12 somewhere else. It can also fill in very quickly instead of moving 4x12 stacks in for something. Just take the amp head, Captor X and FRFR monitor. If the venue has a monitoring system then don't take any cab or monitor and jack the Captor X directly into their mixer.

tallcoolone and Lars Haug like this.
  16. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

Played with a loop pedal Through 1 of John's early version attenuators. Please excuse the performance.

Mitchell Pearrow, Lars Haug and JohnH like this.
  17. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

Set an attenuator to LOAD, and reamp the line level signal to a 2nd power amp-- and adjust listening levels to taste w/ the 2nd power amp. Voila...

18. VSdude63

VSdude63 New Member

Have you considered Josh Smith's, JHS Little black Amp Box attenuater? Less than $55 and is amazing!

Example:

Mitchell Pearrow and Lars Haug like this.
  19. Lars Haug

Lars Haug Member

Thanks for dropping by!

Yes, it has been mentioned. And it is something I will build at a later point. Looks very interesting and promising!

20. Lars Haug

Lars Haug Member

Thanks for dropping by!

This requires FX loop, right? If so, no use to me unfortunately. But I am considering modding in an FX look.