How to fix Jubilee reissue power rocker switch?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Ross1231, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Ross1231

Ross1231 New Member

Hey guys - I have a 2555x reissue head, about a year old. Just turned it on last night and noticed the red power switch does not light up but the amp plays as normal and the tubes all light up. I’ve never had a power switch light go on me. Just wondering if someone could let me know how to access the light to repair it. Thanks!

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

The lighted rocker switch gets replaced.

Has anyone ever tried to take one apart to repair?

3. Ross1231

Ross1231 New Member

Sorry I should have been more specific - I mean how would I go about opening up the amp head to swap one out? I have another rocker switch here and can solder I just don’t know if it pops out from the front faceplate or do I open up the entire amp? Thanks

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I do not know exactly what that one looks like but they usually have prongs or something that need release from the inside.

5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

If the amp still works leave it . You can fix it when you bias the amp for new power tubes

6. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, there's prongs on the top and bottom of the swtch. You have to push them in and push the switch out at the same time. It's Connected with spade connectors. You do have to remove the chassis from the headshell of course. Be careful not to let the faceplate and rear panel snag on the tolex on the way out or you could mangle them.

And fwiw, You don't have to take the 2555x out of the headshell for retubing. It has a cool external bias system.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  7. charlysays

charlysays Member

Mine started flickering and going dim on my 2525h. I've so far ignored it and it appears to have fixed itself as of late. I'll continue ignoring it forever I think. If the amp ever needs to come out/ apart for something else, that will be when the switch gets replaced, unless the switch develops a second fault and isn't able to run the amp.

8. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Standard mains switch fitting, as others have said you need to be inside the amp to access the switch to squeeze together the plastic spring clips top and bottom and push it forward out of the front panel

What ever you do dont take off all of the connectors at once, just take one off at a time whilst putting it back on the same terminal on the new switch.

I take it it is exactly the same switch that you have, a direct replacement, any old switch is not good enough.

As others have said wait until you need to take out the chassis for something major as the amp is OK as it is until then.

9. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

And if it's only a year old isn't it still under warranty? I'd check and see if it's covered, and if your working on it would void that warranty in case something else may happen in the future.