how to find the fuzz you want

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by ricksdisconnected, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Bigmuff

Bigmuff Well-Known Member

Josh Scott of JHS always gives informative, no BS opinions on this stuff. I've watched a handful of videos and always feel I've learned a bit of history, or sound design, or whatever. I don't own any JHS pedals, but I wouldn't feel bad at all about buying one in the future.

I love fuzz, but one thing I've learned over the years is it helps a lot to tailor the amp to the fuzz, often at the expense of the amp's tone with the fuzz switched off. I can totally see why that may not jive with Marshall purists who just want that amp drive.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  2. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

Fuzz is such a strange one. The best fuzz sounds I have heard aren't fuzz pedals but speakers on the verge of destruction with a cranked amp. Some fuzz sounds aren't fuzz but distortion.

Hendrix used a Dallas Arbiter fuzz face. He did use the fuzz settings but some sources say only for the volume boost with the fuzz on low and sometimes off. Gilmour also uses it sometimes like that. Hendrix tone was mostly in his Marshall Plexi and cab melting I think. When a Plexi is cranked it is going to eat up pedal tones anyway.

Josh Homme for Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the Deaf album used a Peavey Decade practice amp. He gets some very fuzzy distortion out of it.

[​IMG]

Toni Iommi uses a treble booster on his melting distortion tones and in C# Standard you have Masters of Reality. Again distortion but bordering on big stoner fuzz tones.

Orange amps and Matamps are also in that same territory when you tune low and go high gain with them.

Tool's Adam Jones uses a mix of Diezel and Marshall amps with a flanger and Drop D and he get big fuzzy type tones from just that distortion.

Listen to some grunge guitar from the 1990s like Soundgarden.

However, none of that is really the fuzz discoveries like a Maestro, Tone Bender, and the other pedals that drop you into fuzz at low-gain settings. That is what we call fuzz today I think. Fuzz Face has still got it though when you turn up the fuzz dial. EXH Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker is probably another go-to fuzz pedal. I only have one boutique one, a Catalinbread Katzenkonig but she is a hybrid Tone Bender/RAT pedal. I have an Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold which is a Sunn distortion pedal and goes near fuzz at higher volumes.

By the way, put a RAT in front of an Orange amp and you will get this.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  3. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

StrummerJoe likes this.
  4. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Adam Jones has also been known to mix in Boogie & Rivera amps mixed with Marshalls too. He has a complicated sound to replicate.

TheToneDig likes this.
  5. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

Just get this, circa, 1973! I had one as a 13 year old with my Ibanez LP and my Super Reverb, was the bomb! Local guy is asking $250 for it, guess I should have taken better care of mine.

[​IMG]

anitoli and ricksdisconnected like this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm not a fuzz guy either. I'm OK with a clean boost into the amp but I want the amp itself to generate the distortion,
    not some box on the floor or in the rack attached to it. And of course I want that distortion to be harmonically pleasing and available in ample quantity if I want to use it. I don't even mind if the amp derives its distortion from a mix of tubes and solid state devices. But I just don't want to use a pedal to get it.

7. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I was reading about fuzz pedals on Gilmourish.com. The guy they said that Fender amps have the mids scooped so a pedal like a Rat or Tube Screamer would compliment it since they have more mids. A Marshall has a lot of mids so a pedal like a Big Muff will be best since it has scooped mids. After playing around with my pedals and amps I found that to be true. I use a Big Muff with my JCM DSL and a Tube Screamer with my Princeton and Champ.

Josh from JHS was the one recommending the Behringer Super Fuzz which was $20. It sounds great with my Tele and Champ. I have a cheap germanium pedal which I use that sounds good when the guitar volume pedal is rolled back. Full on fuzz is a bit much though.

Just my thoughts

Marshall Stack. He/ Him / Badass

8. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

I figured I would revive this to relay I watched the vid in the OP and ended up in a rabbit hole for the last month. I used to feel the same way a lot of people do about fuzz, as in I had no use for it. Now I am a convert. I have started simply and bought a FF blue (the regular plain jane model) But have plans on getting the Keeley Fuzz Bender soon (I also have a Rat, but it really does now act like a "fuzz"). I have tried it on most of my amps (Twin, Tweed, Brown, Champ) but find I really like it with the Origin. I have always ridden my volume knob but find the fuzz reacts so well to it and I get such a huge variation of sounds from it that I am wondering why I never did this before. So Thanks for posting the vid RD. :hippie: :headbanger:

9. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

remember these well. fun little box but not for everything use.

10. Silverdome

Silverdome Active Member

The trick to fuzzes imo is work the volume and every fuzz is going to react differently to the pickup and amps. When done right I think they rock and there's nothing like it.

DaDoc likes this.
  11. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

That's what I do with my big muff, I put the SD-1 before the muff going into it instead of after.

The Muff alone doesn't sound right going into my Superlead, sounds kind of congested or choked. The SD-1 one makes it sound 100X better.

Neptical likes this.
  12. Tatzmann

Tatzmann Well-Known Member

I love Amps with built in fuzz units, like the Acoustic
    260 or the Carlsbro Stingray, where its called suzz.

The 260 was used by acidrock band Bolder Damn,
    the Reverb and the Fuzz is all from the amp.

Check it out.:cool:

13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Damnit Rick i thought this would be a tutorial on how to get a discount at a brothel...........:D

Sapient likes this.
  14. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had one of those and it was the bomb at the time. I traded a half bag for it it was so good.

15. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

When I saw "Las Post: anitoli" I just knew. :p

anitoli likes this.
  16. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Yet tons of people (including myself) love both the Rat and a Tube Screamer in front of their Marshalls. And even the Tube Screamer pushing a Rat in front of their Marshall's. :cool:

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Just run a tab and pay with cash, they usually nock 20% off! Ask for Cindi, I need to take some time off. The bruises and stitches are starting to get notified and I can only say I’ve fallen so many times.

anitoli likes this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

If your amp and guitar combo can make a fuzz sound you may like it better. Both my X100b and Chupa can do this and it’s really cool. Any good amp with an 5 band EQ can do it as a rule. I never bought one by itself because they are hard to match, but with the HX Effects you can match one up easy. (Same with drives really.) I like fuzz for some stuff, but it’s got to be right. One of the nice things about a multi effect is you can pull up 6 fuzz units on one pedal and try them back and forth. I do this with each effect when I’m not sure what one to use.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  19. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Get a Source Audio Kingmaker.
    Audition all the many fuzzes (and OD's and distortions) onboard and get the one you like.
    Or keep the Kingmaker.

20. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Get a Source Audio Kingmaker.
    Audition all the many fuzzes (40+ fuzzes, OD's and distortions) onboard and get the one you like.
    Or keep the Kingmaker.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021