How to determine reverb tank impedances

Clayton Custom Cabs

Reaction score
I have two CRATE amps V32 Palomino and V3112 I have schematics for both and have recapped, re-resistered and re-tubed them. They actually sound quite good now, the issue is harsh and splashy reverb.

It appears to me that both use IC's for drive, am I reading that correctly? In any event I removed the TL072 on the VC3112 and soldered in a socket. Then I installed the NE5332 chip that the schematic shows. It's less noisy, but still splashy and harsh. The tanks are rusted funky on both amps.

Here is my question for guru's! How do I find the input/output impedances of the reverb circuit so that I buy the correct tank?
Thanks as always!

BTW - I asked the same ? on TGP if you follow it too.

alpha al

Reaction score
Amps that use IC driver circuits use a tank that reads about 36 Ohms DCR. Don't know the actual impedence. If it's an Accutronics tank, the specs are coded into the part number. I have a chart that lists the tank specs at my shop. I will try to remember to post it on Monday.

alpha al

Reaction score
img815.jpg
Here is the info you are looking for. Note that the impedence and DC resistance are not the same. This only applies to type 4 tanks (the long ones). I have the same info for the small tanks also if you need it.

Latest posts