How to connect a JMP-1 on Marshall JCM-800 2210 ??

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bono69, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Bono69

Bono69 New Member

Hi,

I tried to connect a JMP-1 on a JCM-800 2210 amplifier.

I'm not sure which send-return input output I need to use.

On JMP-1 "Master L or R output" to JCM-800 return ?

Or on JMP-1 "return" from JCM 800 to send on JMP-1 - and "send" from JCM-800 " to "Return" on JMP-1. Guitar on JMP-1 input. (with this, all potentiometer control on JCM-800 are non-working) !!!

Or ?

And were I need to connect the guitar jack ? On JCM-800 "input" or JMP-1 "input" ??
    anyway... I'm lost .

Anybody can help me please ?

Thanks a lot !
    Kinds Regards.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    _ripper_ likes this.
  2. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

If this is your first time doing this, then:

1) Start with both amps turned off
    2) Turn the volume knob of the JMP-1 down really really low. In fact, it's probably better to turn it down completely. This will be your master volume.
    3) Plug your guitar into the JMP-1 input
    4) Plug either the L or R JMP-1 master output into the effect return of the JCM800
    5) Power up the JMP-1 first and the JCM800 second
    6) Gradually turn up the volume knob of the JMP-1 to taste

Cheers,
    ripper

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  3. Bono69

Bono69 New Member

Hi ripper,
    Thanks for reply and help.
    It's working well.
    Yes, sure... the volume knob of the JMP-1 need to by low low low low..... they are not a lot possibilities to turn this knob, because the volume will be quickly to high.

And now, all other knob on front face (like Presence, Reverb, etc..) are desactivated ? Not possible to use Reverb ?

Thanks
    Bono69

4. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

Well if the reverb is positioned pre fx return then no, you won't be able to use it.

5. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

how about some photos ? i don't understand what is going on here ,are u hooking up 2 heads together? what type speaker cabs r u using? and why hook those 2 up together?

oic ,it's for recording?

i have a jcm 800 2210 and a jcm 900 4500 and 4 cabs ,2 16 ohm and 2 8 ohms .
    have always wondered how i would use them at the same time together just one guitar .

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

JMP-1 is the single space rackmount pre-amp.

He's wanting to run the pre-amp into the power amp of the 2210...

For the OP, one thing you can do, is put an ECC81, or ECC82 in the PI slot. That will give you more headroom. You can even try a 12BH7A, which has more headroom yet & sounds beefier than the ECC82...

It might not do it for you, but, if you are already brickwalled, when barely turning the pre-amp's volume on, it'll give you more to play w/. You can also turn the channel volume parameter down, to give more flexibility.

Not sure about the 2210, when I run my TSL, like this, I can use the presence & reverb, no tones/volume...

7. Dogs of Doom

there are a few ways to do this, depending on how you want to do it.

Do you want each amp to run on it's own, using the pre-amp to shape the head? You can use an A/B/Y type pedal, or use a stereo effect, to run into each head's input. Best bet is to run a slight chorus, or delay, that puts one amp, slightly out of phase w/ the other. Do it so that but amp's are identical, but w/ minimal effect. So, run the delay, w/ 1 feedback & keep the feedback at 100%. But, have the delay, just enough to give distance between the amp's, you don't want to hear a gap. Something like 6ms will give you a pretty wide stereo. If you use chorus, don't get too thick w/ depth.

If you want one amp as the main sound, you can do similar w/ linking them up through the effects loop. One amp will run the tone stack, & the other will just be a slave amp, & the pre-amp will be null. Run an effect as prescribed.

Although, w/ the latter, you can run all the effects, since you are post gain stage & you can use all your effects to color the stereo field.

nickfox likes this.
  8. Bono69

Bono69 New Member

thank you for the answers and suggestions.

Until a few days ago, I was loaned a JTM30 and I went out through the Master Out of the JMP1 to enter on "input" of the JTM30. The JTM30 was functioning normally and all buttons were functional. I had to return the JTM to its happy owner and now I would like to use the JMP-1 on my JCM800 under the same conditions as the JTM30. I haven't yet dared to do the same wiring because I don't want to damage the entrance to the JCM800. I was just thinking of using the "Send - Return" jacks but it doesn't work.

9. Waldog

Waldog Member

If you run the main out of the JMP-1 into the input on the front of the 800 you won’t damage anything but it also may not sound very good. You’d be effectively running a preamp into another preamp and then into a power amp. Daisy chaining two preamps can be done but I haven’t had anything but bad results. If you’re finding the adjustments within the JMP-1 just aren’t enough for you then you could run an EQ between the JMP-1 and 800. Boss made some really good ones back in the day. I have a few here. They’re a half rack 10 band EQ that also has a footswitch jack in the back to bypass them. This give you a lot more options. I used to use the EQ as a lead boost. It was way easier to adjust one slide in the EQ to change my lead volume than have to change the volume on several JMP-1 patches during a gig. Also if you’re finding the volume knob on the JMP-1 to touchy just turn the volume of the patches down and hit SAVE :)

10. Dogs of Doom

The output of the JMP-1 into the return of the JCM800. If that doesn't work, try a dummy plug into the send of the 2210 send output.

You will plug your guitar into the JMP-1, the JMP-1 out, into the return of the JCM800 effects return...

just to be clear, we aren't talking about the effects loop of the JMP-1.

11. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

Like Dogs of Doom said: Go from the output of the JMP-1 to the FX return only with one cable if you want to use the JMP-1 as the sole preamp and the 2210 as a Power amp. And yeah, if theres no output, just use a dummy plug into the front of the amps input while plugging your guitar into the JMP1 input