How Much Gain Should A Jubilee Have?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by JacksonCharvelAddict, Jun 19, 2018.

1. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have owned a 2555x since they were released. I love how it sounds but I have always used a boost of some kind even for a rhythm tone. I typically have a second boost for solos and a volume increase in the loop. I was talking with a friend of mine and he said that the 2555 doesn't need any kind of boost at all. He did admit that for a lead sound it would need a boost. I play mainly thrash metal like Megadeth and the amp feels a little weak without a clean boost. I just recently swapped in some new pre-amp tubes since my friend suggested I may have a weak one and that is why I needed a boost. I should also add that I normally play with the master at 5 and the lead master at 3 or 4 so It isn't super loud.

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

If you want more distortion with a Jubilee then increase preamp GAIN and LEAD MASTER while using the MASTER VOLUME for overall loudness.

All or at least most musical amplifiers sound their bestess when turned up. So turn up all the way and back down to suit.

Say try LEAD MASTER on 6 with MASTER on 4 and work from that. Also max out your TREBLE, MIDDLE, BASS and PRESENCE and then dial them back as needed. You will get more out of the amplifier that way.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  3. JacksonCharvelAddict

Thanks, I will give that a try.

4. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

To get the best out of a jubilee you need to dime the master , it's the truth I'm afraid .

5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Just sold my Jube.

Gain, Master and Lead all at 6 (or higher) just to come close to the sound I want.

I like the EQ/tone stack, the effects loop is great, but in the end...The Jube does not give me what I want.

The JVM does.
    I did get almost all my money back on it...so that was a plus...cost me $100 to own it for 3 years.

6. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

Jube has tons of gain....i ran everything on 7 mv, lm, ig.

7. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Try the output volume on 5, the master volume on 5 . everything else on 7 except for the gain which I would dime .

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Sold mine as well. Actually made $300 on it. Great amp, more than enough gain for me but I have other amps that get the play time and the jube was just sitting..same with my sl-x.

9. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Check your bias - that doesn't sound like a Jube to me. I put KT66's [lower power] in mine and get very good saturation & gain even at low volume - one of the few amps that doesn't need a pedal to get girth at low volume. Loud it's heavenly.

Russ

El Gringo likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

I checked the bias and it was definitely off again. I biased it about a year ago at 70 on both sides but last night when i checked it one side was running at 60mv and the other at 65. Is it normal for bias to slowly lower like that?

11. mickeydg5

I like to recheck bias after power tubes settle in for a little while as well as periodically. Things can change.
    Bias current will drop as the tubes get used especially if a lot of hard, loud playing is involved.

Also remember bias current measurements will vary a small amount with utility/wall power fluctuations.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  12. JacksonCharvelAddict

The last few months I have been running it pretty hot with the kemper through the loop. It is definitely loud. I just changed the pre-amp tubes. Do those have to break in or might I not like the new ones? I went from the marshall tubes to a tung sol in v1 and ruby tubes in the rest of the pre slots. I also noticed that a small adjustment of the bias makes a big difference. Very hard to get an exact number. Is this normal?

13. mickeydg5

You could say everything has a break in period.

Preamp tubes do not drastically change so usually what you initially hear is what you got.

Adjustment of bias or actual turning of the trimmer potentiometer depends on a lot of things; the amplifier, the power tubes, the trimmer, the rest of the bias circuit. So yes a little adjustment could swing the bias a good bit.

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

Thanks Mickey ad to everyone else that offered suggestions.

15. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

sell sell sell!!!

16. mickeydg5

Why, why why?

Oh, you are there and want it on the cheap. :applause:

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have no intention to sell it. It sounds amazing with a boost upfront. I was just confused about why people claim it is high gain when I need a boost. It could be the type of music I play or my pickups. I did find that with a reverb in the loop I can get the master volume higher without blowing my head off and it looks like the lead master has an effect on the amount of gain it puts out.

18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Good as this amp kicks major butt

19. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

No. These reissue Jubilee amps are not bad amps at all, but I'm just not interested.

Reason I put "sell sell sell" was because a majority of the first few posts in this thread seemed to indicate that the new trend for these reissue Jubilee amps was to sell them off.

20. JacksonCharvelAddict

There have been several threads with that sentiment. The fact that it has been discontinued means I will probably never sell it.