>

How many amps should you have / do you "need"?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Wylde Horses, Apr 3, 2021.

1. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I have 4.....
    .....so obviously I need 5.

Id get by just fine with just the one though. It'd be my VM2266c.

2. MatFnEhUK

MatFnEhUK Active Member

I think it’s just a little easier and more practical for most of us to have a variety of guitars and not such a variety of amps. Guitars don’t take up so much space and are easier to move around and switch between.

Personally, I think two or three amps is all you really need to give you a huge variety of tonal options, especially if you’re strategic about it. That gives you the option to run in stereo, wet/dry, etc. But one amp can be perfectly acceptable as well. My JVM half stack does pretty well on its own with just a couple pedals for effects. Amps seem to be getting more and more versatile. I guess they have to, to compete in the digital age.

3. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

My big amp is all I need, it’s a JVM 410H and gets tons of tones.
    For practice I’ve got a Katana Air, totally cordless and sounds good enough to practice / jam along with tunes. Small and super portable, again cordless runs off batteries or wall power.

4. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

I would agree with 2 or 3 amps for tonal flavors and recording.

In actuality, I could live with only 2 to have a backup on stage, or in case 1 went down for a while.

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

1. But what fun is that?

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  6. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

It really depends on how many guitars you have. Someone more wise than I once said, "For every amp, you must have 2 guitars. For every 1 guitar you must have main and backup amp."
    I hope this helps to clear up any questions.

Gleg, Travis398, SiCoul and 5 others like this.
  7. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

Should ?
    One or two.
    Need?
    All of them.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

All that any of us really "needs" is food, water, and shelter. Everything else is there simply to make our journey through life as enjoyable as possible.

Old Punker and Jon Ofjord like this.
  9. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

I have 17 amps so the answer is 18

10. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

I am a devoted home recordist who rarely plays out anywhere, so take my comments in that context.

I could get by with just one amp. For example, a 2203, a clean boost, an overdrive or two and a decent cab could cover just about any kind of material.

But I don't want to just get by. I want to have different options, amps that not only sound different from one another, but feel different and react differently. And the more options I have, the more opportunities I have to be inspired by a particular trait exhibited by a particular amp.

Although you may have several high Gain amps, for example, there is usually one that suits a particular piece of music better than the others for one reason or another.

If you're tracking a song with a really busy mix, several different guitar parts....switching amps for some parts can do wonders for adding dimension and creating space for each instrument to sit in the mix.

I usually have 10 or 12 amps at any given time, and several are non-master volume, some are mid-gain MV and some are truly high gain amps. I'm not a collector, I don't have two of any of the same thing and I actively try to keep my collection as diverse as possible.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

always 1 more...

12. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

I stopped counting, but I need more.

13. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

1 x EVH , 1 x Friedman , 1 x 2204 , 1x protube and 1 x VM just about does it for me .

14. SLIDEMASTER-C

SLIDEMASTER-C New Member

ok then

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  15. Dan Smith

Dan Smith New Member

Right now I have a dozen which I believe are too many. I insist on having practice amps (~5w) in my home and garage as well as at work. The rest are all a variety of Fender/Vox/Marshall cabinets. Trying to sift through what is and is not necessary to keep. These have all been acquired over 40 years so some have sentimental value. You know how that goes.

16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Two for me at a minimum, just feels right in a mix context to have more than one amp tone owning all the space. I know you can add pedals, change guitars, mic a different speaker or mess with amp settings and get great results, plenty of iconic music recorded with one guitar into one amp, etc...but it sure makes things easier when you can just jack into a couple different amps when laying down tracks to get a more 3 dimensional vibe.

17. Iron1

Iron1 Well-Known Member

2 right now, so 3 obviously is the right answer this minute.

I have my Jet City JCA22h (because I want an SLO30 or SLO100 and can't afford it) which does loud very well and my DSL1 cause I love Marshall tone and it does bedroom jam really well. The 3rd would be an SLO of some shape or size, but if I was still gigging, I'd probably need 4 cause I'd want my JCM900 back...

So, 5.

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  18. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Active Member

Granted, this is arbitrary.. but I have 12 electric guitars. I have half as many amps: an Avatar 18W NMV head w/ a 2x12 full o' Greenbacks; a Marshall JCM800 2205 w/ a 2X12 full o' Greenbacks; a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15; a Peavey Classic 30 1x12; a Roland Blues Cube Hot 1x12; and a Marshall DSL40c 1x12.
    So I'm done buying.

19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

OK, that’s it.... no more acid for you. Ha, ha...

20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’ve finally managed to get it down to 2 main amps. Although it took about 30 years to do so. My Chupacabra does any British voiced stuff I want, and my X100b does any American plus a whole lot more. I do have 4 amps, 2 X100’s, the combo from 1989 and a new head for a backup. (The combo is better.) And 2 Ceriatone’s, the Chupa and a grab and go 2202 combo. Awesome rig. I’m more content with these than I have ever been before.