How loud is the JCM1?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jchrisf, Sep 19, 2020.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

A few years ago I couldn't find a JCM1 but did find a clone from a guy on EBay. He said he copied it from the JCM1 he had and it sounded identical. It does sound good but it is not that loud IMO, especially compared to my Laney IRT Studio in 1 watt mode.. that Laney is really loud.

I'm thinking this cheap little clone might not of been built with the best parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

With a four twelve, mine is loud enough to play with a drummer, barely, and for morning practice I have to use an attenuator.

tce63 and jchrisf like this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

looks cool though

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  4. jchrisf

Thanks... sounds good but doesn't have the volume I would expect. However, do to a trick I learned from you I kicked it up a notch by putting an EQ pedal before the amp. Really juiced it up nice... I prefer the EQ in the loop but this one doesn't have a loop.

Thanks! Sounds like mine has an issue. I'm guessing the cheap transformers and possibly other cheap parts. Will make a great project to make this have more power.

tce63 and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Amazes me that they have stockpiles of 60's resistors. 2 watt Iskra's there.

tce63 likes this.
  6. jchrisf

Pardon my ignorance but that is a bad thing correct? What do you think of the transformers?

junk notes likes this.
  7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

You are not ignorant asking questions on something is an anomaly for a modern Marshall circuit board.. I am learning everyday as well. One of the reasons I have recently ordered a 1 watt JCM800 kit. (that is stuck in limbo somewhere)
    Out of curiosity I looked up the JCM1 schematic and found R31 and R32 had variable values printed on (several) schematics that I had found.

So, to answer your post; not a bad thing, but a very nice thing! I know that they are Yugoslavian and that Marshall used in the sixties and seventies. The Gold band indicates +/- 5% tolerances. They were in Plexi's and metalfaces and not limited to. The 2 Watts were a little harder to find if you were restoring, like several here do. Then there were the Burgandy colored Pihers, then Allen Baradley's..

I apologize that I am unable to help with the transformers. I will leave that to the experts and the more experienced owners..

jchrisf likes this.