How does buying a guitar with defects effect its value or deal?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Msharky67, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

If you were choosing to buy a new guitar no scratches dings etc verses a slightly used one with some visible defects would you still feel good about it? Would it decrease its value or worth? I have seen some models labeled as demo and wondered how this fair to brand new ones? No rants. The grace of God has blessed me and I may have a big surprise very soon. :hbang:

2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Depends on the quality of the instrument, how it feels and sounds. IMO much more important than some superficial marks - if the guitar is any good it will inevitably get more of those from me as it will likely get played and gigged.

3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Please God say it's a gibson lp.
    If it sounds good who gives a flying u know what.
    I got a broken headstock 89 lp standard, and it sounds and plays mint. If it didn't have a broken headstock I couldn't have afforded it, but a new Gibson studio vs a 89 standard?
    Both sound good, but for my ears I'm taking the 89 standard every day of the week, broken headstock and all! ( I should say repaired, not broken per Se)

4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

And why is this in the amp section and not the guitar section?

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  5. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Worth and value are two different things. For example, my 2012 WildWood Thinskin '54 Stratocaster is dinged up a bit. I would never get the monetary value of what it is worth to me.

Buying used can present great bargains on an otherwise perfect guitar. Same with B-Stock & demo items.

The least little blemish can/will decrease value on new items, but not diminish their worth. At least not in my eyes/mind.

:2c:

6. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Would I still feel good about it? Absolutely, if it plays great. I'm careful but minor dings and scratches will happen if it gets used a lot even just at home.
    Would it decrease it's value or worth? Sure...maybe. But if you actually play it for a few years and then move on from it, you might have a few visible defects by then. If you just keep a new guitar in a case for 10 years and then sell it, it will be worth more. But what a waste.

7. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Unless it's a crap guitar that is overproduced, but knowing the fanboy it has to be a Gibson...

8. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

If you could be a little more specific, you might get a little more specific "valuation" advice.
    Just wondering how all this speculation is influencing your decision. :shrug:

9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

"If you were choosing to buy a new guitar no scratches dings etc verses a slightly used one with some visible defects would you still feel good about it?"

If the price is is discounted, in line with the guitar having flaws, of course.

"Would it decrease its value or worth?"

Obvious answer, yes. Anything with damage or flaws is worth less than one in perfect condition.

"I have seen some models labeled as demo and wondered how this fair to brand new ones?"

A demo is basically a used guitar, even if it's in perfect condition, and should be discounted.

10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

except...

I was at NAMM (Gibson booth), & they had a wall of these beat up looking Les Paul's on the wall. I picked one up & the guy asked if I had a belt on, if so, I couldn't play it. I told him it looks used, how much of a discount can I get, if I want one? He, w/ a smug look on his face said, "people pay a lot of good money for that look, it adds a couple thousand to the price"...

:facepalm:

:shrug:

11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yeah, "relic" and "distressed" instruments are totally different, and not really comparable to "finished" instruments with damage.

12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

they're all the same to me... :)...

13. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

I would prefer it to be dinged up a bit so I could get a "demo" discount. Unless there are big chunks of poly falling off, that is totally different.

14. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Lol, I laugh my ass off, it's a demo used, but you don't want to buy one without playing it?
    Is the world that drug fcked now?

Mitchell Pearrow and anitoli like this.
  15. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer >>> Fridgerator <<< Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

How is Lake George doing? I'm 30 mins from there, but haven't made a visit in several years. That was one of my backyards since I was a wee wanker.

16. Msharky67

Msharky67 Well-Known Member

I avoid it mostly. Stupid tourists and crap I don't need. Especially a DILLAGAF shirt! LOL!

17. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

I've had great luck buying used or slightly dinged second guitars. I don't care about value to anyone other than myself.

18. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

great answer.

19. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

if the price reflects the damage im usually game.

20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have had great success buying near mint to mint Carvins for a third of what the average JQ would pay for a beat up Gibbo................