How do you single coil?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Ken Ops, Apr 10, 2021.

1. turfdoc

turfdoc Member

my old 4211 just says 'Don't point that thing at me...' and we get along fine. Crank it and wank it.

Old Punker and Ken Ops like this.
  2. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

One more tip for you "cheap-skates" that want to do your own shielding and keep me from making some money off you. Forgive me Dan and StewMac ....

Make your own shielding paint, cause the retail stuff is expensive, this is a "version" of what we mixed ourselves at Fender for decades. You will need to buy:

1) CONDUCTIVE Powdered Graphite (if you're doing more that a couple guitars, better get a pound of it.

2) At least a Pint of "Acrylic Glazing Liquid" (Artist supply stores)

3) an airtight resealable preferably metal paint can if you are making enough for a few guitars over the coming weeks or months.

4) paint mixing stick, good quality but throw-away 3/4 to 1" paint brushes (unless you like cleaning paint brushes)

The Mix - for every 1 oz of "Acrylic Glazing Liquid", mix in about 3 to 4 teaspoons of the Conductive Powdered Graphite. Consistency should end up like store bought acyrlic house paint.

Test it first with a VOM Multimeter with a Continuity mode:
    On a piece of scrap wood, or use the paint mixing stick, paint a 5 to 6 inch strip, when it dries, use the multimeter in Continuity mode set to 100s ohms range and the test probes at each end of the paint strip to see if your home-made goop is conductive (carries electricity). You can also use a small 9vdc radio battery two wires with alligator clips and a flashlight bulb to test with too. Bulb lights up, your goop works ..... so paint your cavities .... on your guitar. Still cover the back side of you pick guard with copper or aluminum tape.

Acrylic Glazing medium.jpg Check at discount Art Supply stores, even Walmart.

SkyMonkey, mAx___ and Ken Ops like this.
  3. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

As you can prob tell, I get annoyed with these companies and their BS marketing. But hey, it distributes power, is relatively cheap and is convenient so if it works it works. It’s just that most folks I run into believe these things do more—in some cases much more—than they actually do. And that’s wrong

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  4. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Yes, the budget end of those things are glorified power strips but dependable and have some filtering. They get more expensive as you get better filtering etc. Anyway the budget models are enough for a guitarist who wants to power a head and pedalboard with some conditioning. Combined with an isolation power supply for the pedals and unwanted hum is gone. That's really all it is about, a big power bank in a rack that stops your gear from becoming toast with a surge and helps remove unwanted noise from dirty power. They work and are a great investment if you want to enjoy a tone free of needless noise.

5. tallcoolone

I'd love to take a deep dive into what these two terms mean.

6. Pepino

Pepino New Member

Larry Cragg set up my Strat as such with a Blender:
    Lindy Fralin pickups: Blues Special neck and middle, Steel Pole (P-90 with 10,500 winds) bridge.

Stock 5 position switch

Master Volume, Master Tone, Blender of Neck:

Pickup selected —- Neck blended in
    1. Bridge --- Bridge + Neck
    2. Bridge + Middle --- Bridge + Middle + Neck
    3. Middle --- Middle + Neck
    4. Middle + Neck --- Middle + Neck
    5. Neck --- Neck

Ken Ops likes this.
  7. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

The Furman is a working power system that has no abnormalities in power, voltage, frequency variation, and surges.

When power with abnormalities goes through the Furman's filter it modifies the abnormalities. If it's a surge then the system trips off. Then you have to take the unit in for repairs but your gear is saved.

They make good sense and absolutely contribute to removing signal noise which improves tone. I have a high-gain hissless amp system here. I don't even use my noise suppressor anymore. Isolated pedal power bricks and a Furman did it.

Here is an opened Furman unit.

8. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Active Member

Okay, full disclosure. Seeing as others have posted their setups and in general been very informative, seems fair.

First of all, genuinely curious. It's a contentious issue for some people, and I thought it would be interesting (it is!) to see what folks around here had to say. I see this site as being way more straight shootin', way less BS than most.

Also, my only Strat (ever) came with Lace Golds - pretty sure that run was built with them. Been thinking about replacing them with classic pups.

My impression of the Lace Sensor Golds is they're closer to classic tone than say, Fender Noiseless. But still more compressed, less "air". And they're in between the two for noise as well. That's it though - they just don't have that pure sound.

Some see the single coil noise "issue" as a big thing, others not so much. Think I've come around to not worrying about it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. tallcoolone

The Furman unit you posted has zero ability to do anything whatsoever to “power” or “voltage”. Anything.

Sure it has a fuse, like most extension cords, and that will protect from surges. It is the ‘filter’ and ‘abnormalities’ part that is all just marketing hoodoo.

Listen, I am not trying to prove anyone wrong on the Furman stuff. If you have one and it works for you then great and if you need surge protection it is doing it’s job. Like I said they are convenient and they distribute power. But the lower end units do not regulate anything and none of them are some magic box that takes in ‘dirty power’ and spits out ‘clean power’. You are never going to find that in a sub $500 product.

Best way to minimize single coil hum? Proper shielding as pointed out above

10. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Filtering power actually is pretty easy. It's the conditioning (ie regulating voltage) that is tricky. Best you can easily do is surge protection. But yeah, base line Furmans can't do that, contrary to what marketing implies (especially with the models that have a voltage display on the front) and many people believe.

As for hum, yeah, it's part of the sound. The funny thing being, audio plugins designer actually build some noise into their software (see the "Analog" button on some of the Waves plugins ? that's what it does, adds some harmonic distortion as well on some) so that it sounds more "analog" and not as "sterile".
    To me keeping noise in check (with proper shielding and general wiring of the rig, then turning off the volume pot on the guitar when not playing) is just fine.

Ken Ops likes this.
  11. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

The Suhr SSCII (silent single coil system) is incredible. My singles are actually quieter than my humbuckers. For an aftermarket version, the ILITCH system works great as well. I'll never go back.

Ken Ops likes this.
  12. tallcoolone

Always intrigued me—never heard a negative review either

Nitrobattery likes this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Easy for me to answer - I just play my humbucker loaded Les Paul's . Back on topic . I will be installing Fender Lace Sensor pickups -blue for the neck which is like a humbucker , silver for the middle which is a traditional single coil, red for the bridge which is hotter than hell humbucker . My hopes for this once my tech visits with me is to have a hot strat sound which will pair nicely with my 2555X's . The reason I want this is to have the strat set up as a beater .The bridge is a floater so I can do some dive bombs and pull ups . On a tele , I will be trying out the new Throbak Broadcaster A5 pickups , which have A5 magnets and a really hot wound bridge pickup and will have a semi humbucker sound in the middle position . www.throbak.com

Ken Ops and Old Punker like this.
  14. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

"In the end, I can say the "noisy" traditional single coils give me the most satisfaction"

Yes. :D

Ken Ops likes this.
  15. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

I like the sound of HB bridge pickups in Strat and Tele bodies. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    El Gringo likes this.
  16. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

DeArmond

Ken Ops likes this.
  17. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Nearly all my guitars have humbuckers with coil taps on them. That's my approximation of single coil sound.

My newest (to me) guitar is a Charvette and it has an HSS configuration. That's new...for me. It's such a totally different guitar that I haven't found what works best with it as of yet.

Ken Ops likes this.
  18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my HSS Strat and my Kramer, but it's a different sound compared to he traditional SSS Strat (even more so with the Tele). One can approximate the other with some creativity, but still, they're different.
    Which is the reason why having a LP, a Tele, a SSS Strat and a Superstrat makes sense, they're different tools for different uses and all bring something different to the table.
    And they definitely steer my playing to slightly different directions, which I love from an artistic standpoint.

Ken Ops likes this.
  19. Davide Margiotta

Davide Margiotta New Member

Dimarzio hs3

Ken Ops likes this.
  20. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

Option #1 all the way.
    I tried shielding one of my Strats with copper tape and it killed the tone. Thank goodness I didn't use paint.

Ken Ops likes this.