How do you single coil?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Ken Ops, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I had a Strat once, didn't do none of that shit, should've kept that one.

2. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

Stop daisy chaining pedals and get everything plugged into a Furman power conditioner. Get your guitar serviced by a good luthier.
    Play.

De-esse in post-production.

If you really must have a way to remove this at the start or playing live then use parametric EQ because parametric allows you to alter the Q value so you can subtract a very narrow frequency range.

Dean Swindell and Old Punker like this.
  3. tonycaster

tonycaster Active Member

if you use pedals, first of all a good power supply, then a proper shielding work, then good cables. If you play high gain stuff with single coils, the hiss will be noisier than the hum...

EDIT: forgot to mention, I only use SSS strats live with no RWRP pickups, with the 3 p-ups wound the same, done 30 yrs of live shows with all kind of power supplies, never minded the hum/hiss/whatsofreakin'ever... feeling and music were always louder

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Mostly #1 though decent shielding on the guitar helps and I roll the volume off between songs if necessary (usually not though).
    Strat, Tele, Jaguar and a Les Paul with P90s. The Fenders all have an active mid boost PCB too, like the Clapton Strats.

Old Punker and Ken Ops like this.
  5. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Turn on the tuner to mute everything.

Old Punker, Trumpet Rider and Ken Ops like this.
  6. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I just ignore the hum. I have two Strats, an SRV model and a Malmsteen model. The SRV has Duncan A2 Pros and a Twang Banger. The Malmsteen has DiMarzio Area/Virtual Vintage pickups. As much as I like noiseless pickups, I find I get tired of them sometimes. There’s nothing like a “real” single coil. Part of the charm for me is the noise. Crazy as it sounds, it just makes them feel more “alive” somehow. When I want the pure single coil sound I play the SRV and ignore the hum. If it’s bothering others around me I just turn the volume down between songs or mute with my tuner.

7. roycaster

roycaster Well-Known Member

Unless I’m playing in a recording studio, I go with #1…

8. Bob Damiano

Bob Damiano New Member

Ken Ops likes this.
  9. eberly

eberly New Member

I swear by the Fender noiseless pickups. The latest gen in my Ultra Strat sound really nice to me.

Related note, the Fralin noiseless P90's sound killer as well.

Ruthjam and Ken Ops like this.
  10. Strat man do

Strat man do New Member

Positions 2 and 4 mostly. I have an EC strat with noiseless pickups that also works well

Ken Ops likes this.
  11. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Single coil hum doesn't bother me. I honestly don't notice it too much. Ans on my Strat I play in all the pickup selections. Just depends on the sound I'm going for.

12. Mike J

Mike J Member

All good advice above. Personally, I just use DiMarzio Cruisers in my Strat. That are hum cancelling, but still retail a good single coil sound. I heard Andy Timmons offering this advice so I tried it. He was right.

13. lordquilton

lordquilton Well-Known Member

The problem is, where does the noise end and the overtones begin?
    I've checked out the rather expensive Illitch system, and even on Youtube you can hear how some of the "air" gets rolled off a Tele, for example.
    Maybe if you're a pro doing dates and it's just GOT to be quiet you could go with that system, at least you could switch the dummy coil in and out as needed.
    That would be preferable to inferior "noiseless" pickups to me.
    But for my low-rent needs, I'm with shielding the cavity and muting/using the volume pot.

Old Punker and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  14. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

80% of the time it bugs people because they've read that it's supposed to bother you. Or they sit and listen for it, so yeah the situation is over hyped. There are however times when there's bad electricity, you're on the same circuit as a refrigerator or there are beer signs that will mess with any guitar, humbucker or not, but most severely with single coils. Noise gates are a joke, like throwing a towel over a dog turd on your carpet. I use A DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the bridge position of both my strats for the sound, the hum thing is a bonus (One has Bill Lawrence in the neck and middle) If I have a song I play with the bridge pickup or the neck pickup, I won't switch to the bridge/middle tone for anyone - that's not how it's supposed to sound, not gonna happen. Try shielding; it never hurts although I'm skeptical it makes a difference. But beware of strat humbuckers, stacks and rails alike, even Fender's own, because you'd be surprised at how many require routing the pickup cavities and they NEVER tell you. At least DiMarzio gives you blueprints. In the end you'll have some noise you'll always be able to hear. Depends the individual.

Old Punker likes this.
  15. Dawgfanjeff

Dawgfanjeff New Member

A few things I do.
    1. Noise suppresion with Decimator II
    2. Shielding. Remember, you need to ground the shielding, too, or it could make it worse.
    3. Eliminate any light dimmers on the same circuit, they are notorious for introducing noise
    4. I have a Furman power conditioner, but i haven't noticed a big improvement with it.
    5. Remember that Jimi, blackmore, yngwie, etc...use a strat through cranked marshalls were somehow ok :) Don't over think it.

Greg70, Old Punker and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  16. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

All good stuff but that Furman unit. Just an expensive power strip. That isn’t ‘conditioning’ anything.

17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Mine has made my life much easier for gigging (especially outdoors with dodgy power) since I got it. I can't imagine gigging without it ever again. The filtering in itself is a big plus in making a rig quieter.

Old Punker and BatmansMarshall like this.
  18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

If it works for you great, just trying to pass along that it isn’t filtering anything anymore than any extension cord that has a fuse. True voltage regulation is going to cost a lot more and be a LOT larger and heavier.

19. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

There is some filtering in it (the big capacitors inside being a hint). Regulation, no, I agree, it's much heavier, bigger and obviously more expansive. But my Furman definitely has some filtering.
    This is the one I use:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/furman_ac...iZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

20. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

You CANNOT only shield the pickup cavities! You ALSO have to shield the inside of the Pick Guard and the pick guard must have an absolute (wired) connection between the pickup cavity insulation material and the what-ever you use to shield the pick guard.

Personally, at my shop if it's either an expensive single coil guitar and a "working musicians" guitar, I ALWAYS use copper foil. An inexpensive one, like a top tier Squier model, the paint on insulation shield paint is fine and cheaper (time wise).

Watch the master Dan Erlewine -

Old Punker and WellBurnTheSky like this.