How do you set up your DSL channels?

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I used to play a JCM900 and it was pretty straightforward with one channel for clean and one for leads / distortion. The JCM2000 DSL has two channels on the green (clean) and two for the red (distortion). I'm wondering how people use their amps. Currently I use the 1st channel on the green for clean and then the 1st channel on the red. I have also tried using a SD-1 on the second clean channel.

What have you found that works best?

Neptical

Reaction score
I still use a JCM 900 SL-X. Crank for full assault, roll back volume to clean up. It's a monstrous amp that does one thing and one thing extrodinary good.

Also, still use my DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads. Huge fan of the Red channel. With the compression these amps have, I find what makes them HUGE is to scoop them in the EQ then add grit back in with the SD-1 and an external EQ ( I use the MXR 10 Band EQ). The SD-1 would work fine by itself but I like a bit more tone shape. These amps clean up quite fantastic with the volume knob as well.

DSL cleans ( green channel) are quite spanky. It's how I love my cleans to sound - especially with my maple neck Strats. It's an addictive tone!

However, I just took in a few Origin 50s a month ago that have had my undivided attention. Yup, they're that beautiful of an amp.

This is why Marshall rules.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I still use a JCM 900 SL-X. Crank for full assault, roll back volume to clean up. It's a monstrous amp that does one thing and one thing extrodinary good.

Also, still use my DSL 50 and DSL 100 heads. Huge fan of the Red channel. With the compression these amps have, I find what makes them HUGE is to scoop them in the EQ then add grit back in with the SD-1 and an external EQ ( I use the MXR 10 Band EQ). The SD-1 would work fine by itself but I like a bit more tone shape. These amps clean up quite fantastic with the volume knob as well.

DSL cleans ( green channel) are quite spanky. It's how I love my cleans to sound - especially with my maple neck Strats. It's an addictive tone!

However, I just took in a few Origin 50s a month ago that have had my undivided attention. Yup, they're that beautiful of an amp.

This is why Marshall rules.
I tried this with my Boss Eq-7. It sounds cool with chords but kind of lacks string to string definition.

How much gain are you using? If your EQ set up as a sad face (more mids) to make up for the scooped EQ? I assume you are using the tone shift button.

mark123

Reaction score
Green Crunch channel. Gain on 7. Treble 5. Mid 9. Bass 6. Do not use the tone shift button (I think the “f” was a typo). Presence 6. Resonance 5.

I generally don’t use the red channel. I dabble with it from time to time but I get a better gain sound with boosting the green channel.

Neptical

Reaction score
How much gain are you using? If your EQ set up as a sad face (more mids) to make up for the scooped EQ? I assume you are using the tone shift button.

Very little gain at 9' oclock-ish, which goes a long way when pusing with the SD-1. The amps already have a ton of gain on tap. External EQ is set by whatever cab I might be using so it varies. As long as it's not brash, and is fat and punchy - that's what I go for. Last settings I don't believe I had any of the buttons engaged. YMMV

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I don't have the 2000 versions but I have the second incarnation: just the plain DSL 100H and 40C played mostly through a 2x12 v30 cab.

I use the green channel for clean even though it's not REALLY clean like I prefer and I use the red for my crunch/distortion.

All eq controls including resonance and presence set to noon give or take a hair.

Tone shit button out (thanks for the term @mark123).

Red (ultra channel) volume at 5

Lead button in

Red gain a touch below 3

Green (classic channel) volume around 8 (iirc, currently away from home ATM)

Clean/crunch button in

Green gain a hair above 2

NO reverb

I roll off the guitars volume and tone controls to varying degrees to accomplish a wide variety of rock to metal tones ranging from the 50s to about 1990.

I got my Independence Day buzz on right now so some of this could be wrong. I'll revisit this post in the next few days to confirm.

CHEERS ALL!!!

Last edited:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I used to play a JCM900 and it was pretty straightforward with one channel for clean and one for leads / distortion. The JCM2000 DSL has two channels on the green (clean) and two for the red (distortion). I'm wondering how people use their amps. Currently I use the 1st channel on the green for clean and then the 1st channel on the red. I have also tried using a SD-1 on the second clean channel.

What have you found that works best?
Green Crunch channel is my go to with an BD-2W for gain and solos. The clean channel just doesn't cut through the mix with my band playing full throttle and none of us like the red (OD1, OD2) channels. Settings: Gain at 9:30, Volume at 1:30, Treble at 10:00, Mid at 1:30, Bass at 9:30, Presence and Resonance at 10:00, Classic Reverb at 1:30, Master at a 11:00, no Tone Shift. Gibson Les Pauls through the BD-2W. Hope that helps!

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I don't have the 2000 versions but I have the second incarnation: just the plain DSL 100H and 40C played mostly through a 2x12 v30 cab.

I use the green channel for clean even though it's not REALLY clean like I prefer and I use the red for my crunch/distortion.

All eq controls including resonance and presence set to noon give or take a hair.

Tone shit button out (thanks for the term @mark123).

Red (ultra channel) volume at 5

Lead button in

Red gain a touch below 3

Green (classic channel) volume around 8 (iirc, currently away from home ATM)

Clean/crunch button in

Green gain a hair above 2

NO reverb

I roll off the guitars volume and tone controls to varying degrees to accomplish a wide variety of rock to metal tones ranging from the 50s to about 1990.

I got my Independence Day buzz on right now so some of this could be wrong. I'll revisit this post in the next few days to confirm.

CHEERS ALL!!!

Oh yeah, no pedals for me either.

Rozman62

Reaction score
- Green channel with crunch engaged.
- Green channel with boost pedal for leads.
- Red channel with gain never higher than 3.
- Red channel with boost pedal for leads.

My approach to the DSL 100 is treating it like a single channel amp. I never flip between channels for lead boosts. The EQ between the 2 channels is too drastic for me. Not a big fan of the red channel but with the gain tapered down it's ok. The green channel in crunch mode boosted is awesome. Good cleans on the green channel as well.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Green Crunch channel is my go to with an BD-2W for gain and solos. The clean channel just doesn't cut through the mix with my band playing full throttle and none of us like the red (OD1, OD2) channels. Settings: Gain at 9:30, Volume at 1:30, Treble at 10:00, Mid at 1:30, Bass at 9:30, Presence and Resonance at 10:00, Classic Reverb at 1:30, Master at a 11:00, no Tone Shift. Gibson Les Pauls through the BD-2W. Hope that helps!
I set my amp like this and like it. The only difference is that a added a boost in front.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Please, don't tell me you sold your 900MK3
and now use a DSLwhatever.

Yeah, Dreyn would approve!:p

:shrug:

jeffb

Reaction score
This is the only guy I know who can get a good tone out of the 70/80 AND the midz suxx button in.

That said, he could plug into doorknob and get a good tone. Guy has magic hands and great recording skills

Latest posts