How do you run your effects through your amp?

How do you run your effects?

• All effects into clean amp

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • All effects into amp on the edge of break-up

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • All effects into distorted amp

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 4CM with effects loop

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • 4CM with reamp setup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wet/dry setup

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I don’t really use effects other than maybe boost/OD/fuzz

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
I hope the choices are fairly self explanatory.

I like to run all of my effects into an amp on the edge of breakup. This way the amp grit rounds off the sound of my overdrives, and my modulations and time based effects are only slightly smeared by the amp’s light distortion. I have to be choosier with my overdrives, but I avoid a complicated 4 cable setup.

What method do you prefer?

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I run 4 cable method with dirt and OD's up front and modulations in the loop. I sometimes run it dirty and sometimes run it clean. I use mainly preamp breakup/distortion and hardly ever use power amp breakup/distortion. I shape my OD/distortion with pedals. I like low-mid gain one channel amps and a loop is a must. I love classic 80's high gain metal but prefer to push low-mid gain amps hard with an OD and color shape even more with high gain pedals if need be. IMHO it gives you much better classic high gain tones than a more modern high gain amp can do on its own.

EDIT:
Everything on the front row is in front of amp and everything on the back is in the loop. I keep it small and simple.

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Sometimes it would be the pedal. e.g. delay/echo (digital and/or analog) - some sound fantastic going through the front and others through the loop, while the same pedals the other way around would be detrimental to the overall sound. Same with chorus and phase.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Pedalboard was built to Do All of the Above …… Any configuration of In Front or 4CM, 7CM ( True Stereo ) External Midi Control if Desired, Computer Editors for all Ecosystems that are supported, IR DI Out Option ……
26 Devices in all ……
So .. Yes to every pole question !!
1665077010361.jpeg

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
This Pedalboard was built to Do All of the Above …… Any configuration of In Front or 4CM, 7CM ( True Stereo ) External Midi Control if Desired, Computer Editors for all Ecosystems that are supported, IR DI Out Option ……
26 Devices in all ……
So .. Yes to every pole question Lance !!
View attachment 116537
That’s awesome. But do you have a favorite way to do it?

FracStrat

Reaction score
That’s awesome. But do you have a favorite way to do it?
Not really… How I plug in is usually based on how/where/what I’m doing …… How many Amps, Mono or Stereo, Local Jam, Quick Practice, Or maybe a full blown project …… The ES-5 and MC8 are programmed for every scenario!!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirt/boost in the front - but also like native amp gain.
EQ/TBE in the loop.
Fairly standard set-up on most of my amps.
Haze15 & G215 need nothing but volume ('cause that other stuff's built in).

tonycaster

Reaction score
I love the wet/dry setup at present, small to medium gigs with an SC20h as dry amp set a little more than breakup, wah, boost and 500k volume in front; from the line out I go into mod/delay/reverb into a wet amp (mine is a vht special6), or into a DI with speaker sim (behringer ultra GI100, inexpensive and useful): lots of fun!!!

MickeyS

Reaction score
I run everything in front of a JVM410H, so clean, dirty, edge of breakup are all covered. I haven't been able to get along with loops in general, and this amp is no exception. I may try a delay or my Big Sky in the loop. Midi switches the amp channels and modes. I run my Superlead with all in front, no loop there, and run that head set to kill and clean her up with the guitar volume.

20220321_170701_copy_778x778_1.jpg

FracStrat

Reaction score
I run everything in front of a JVM410H, so clean, dirty, edge of breakup are all covered. I haven't been able to get along with loops in general, and this amp is no exception. I may try a delay or my Big Sky in the loop. Midi switches the amp channels and modes. I run my Superlead with all in front, no loop there, and run that head set to kill and clean her up with the guitar volume.

View attachment 116544
What’s that Black thing with the 4 on it ?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I was gonna answer "With cables.." but no one likes a smart ass...
I run multi effect and EQ in loop, the rest out front. I prefer to let the amp give me the distortion and tone. I rarely use an OD hut does depend on amp. When I do I run level up on OD but no gain. Just push the front end of amp. I don't use effects much.

Smaller boards for smaller stage areas.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

View attachment 116544
Ooooh the MXR talkbox! I have one I have yet to really play with to get used to it. How do you like it?

wakjob

Reaction score
I used to be religious about Delay, Reverb, and Pitch Detune in the loop... and everything else to the Input.
4CM and Midi are really cool as well.

But I have to admit, some of the BEST sounds/tones I've ever gotten is with everything straight in the front of a slightly pushed amp. Old school.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have two separate 5CM setups. One for each of my amps.
They can both be used standalone, in 4CM mono, or one at a time in dual amp 5CM stereo.
So, my pedalboard uses the VS65R preamp in 5CM to slave the 40CR.
Or my GT-100 uses the 40CR preamp to slave the VS65R.
I have tried them the other way around, but this way sounds best, and I get MIDI switching for the 40CR.

Either way, dirt and NS out front, and mods and EQ in the loops.

Latest posts