How damaging might this be?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Wenander, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Wenander

Wenander Well-Known Member

Sun shines through my livingroom window and hits my guitar.. It doesnt get hot or anything, but maybe in 3 months it might.

I got the guitar in dec and kept in the hardcase at all times, but people on other forums says thats overkill... Should i just keep it on the other side of the room or something.. Shure looks pretty in the sun and makes me pick it up more..

DSC_0951.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's going to accelerate the fading of the finish, but many guitars have survived without damage hanging in a store window in full sunlight for a long time without damage so there's no reason that having your guitar out on its stand and getting a few hours of sun a day is going to destroy it.

Headache, Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  3. Wenander

ok nice =)

and by the way ...... can it actually be good for the guitar, and foremost the neck if it hangs on the wall? cuz one of my other guitars that never been in a case and i just put here and there for years has a bit of a twist in the neck

4. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Active Member

I don’t like the idea of hanging my guitars by their necks. Maybe just seems morbid, haha.

But anyway, also don’t spend a fortune of gear overall, so eh, perhaps I’m overthinking things.

Vinsanitizer and Wenander like this.
  5. Wenander

it´s good you dont spend on gear ..... i have stoped doing it.. started selling stuff.....3 guitars and my 2525h have left the past 2 months

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I've been preaching that gospel for a decade. You hang a Gibson or an acoustic guitar on a wall hanger, then view it from one side. The built-in angle of the neck-to-body join dictates that in order to maintain equilibrium the weight of the body wants to naturally shift forward, causing the neck to pull at the body joint. This renders the guitar practically useless. Some guitars can handle it for a time, others might not take long. I had it happen to two acoustics and three Gibsons, one of which was a beautiful $3,250 ES-175. The acoustics were both Martins, one was a $4K D-42 - on that guitar I painfully watched it happening over a period of months before I realized what the cause was. If the relative humidity in your area is high, then that increases the chances of this happening. Again, doesn't happen with every guitar, depends on the stability of the wood, but I won't risk hanging any guitar again. They're either in my guitar rack or in their cases, and the cases are never laid flat on their backs, I lean 'em against the wall.

Ken Ops, CraigP, SkyMonkey and 3 others like this.
  7. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the damage from hanging the guitar?

8. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

9. Vinsanitizer

Pretty sure I mentioned Gibsons and acoustics and left out Fender copies, specifically citing the neck angle at the body joins and equilibrium and all that.

El Gringo and Wenander like this.
  10. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, if you are concerned about your guitars appearance it should be in its case when not in use.

Your LP has a nitro finish, which is more delicate than a poly finish. My wooden floor has a lighter patch, where the sun had been hitting it after one summer.

Yeah, Mr Vai has his guitars hanging on a wall. But those Jems have a thick poly coat, and he has an army of luthiers checking his axes at the flick of a finger.

An axe out of its case, will need more maintenance than one stored in its case. LP's usually have more going wrong with them than say Fenders, in my experience.

Jethro Rocker and Wenander like this.
  11. Vinsanitizer

Are you being serious or sarcastic? (I just wanna make sure I respond appropriately.)

Maggot Brain likes this.
  12. Sustainium

Serious, maybe a dumb question...it’s early.

13. Vinsanitizer

No pics. Thing is the damage isn't really photographable, it's a warp at the body joint - nothing to really see unless you feel it, hear the frets buzz and measure it.

Ken Ops and SkyMonkey like this.
  14. Sustainium

Ok, I picture that. Maybe a straight edge could be helpful to determine if hangers are causing problems on my guitars that have been hanging / played for years.

15. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I have some guitars that absolutely change when hung by their necks, action changes, tuning stability, things like that.

Wenander and Sustainium like this.
  16. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

If you've ever seen a burst with no "burst", thats what happens. The darker colors disappear leaving just the yellow, not really a bad look imo.

17. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I keep my guitars in cases standing up in a walk in closet. I usually only have out 1 or 2. I've never cared for the wall ornaments thing.

Ken Ops, Jethro Rocker and Wenander like this.
  18. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

Just move it out of the suns light and you be fine. Over time sun light will make paint fade away...

El Gringo likes this.
  19. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

I keep my guitars in their cases.

20. Wenander

oh ok very good info....wont ever think about hanging a guitar again then.