How can we keep our drummer?

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you may know, I have a music group each week with 3 fairly average strummers and a bit of lead but basic.

A drummer, who plays guitar at a good standard, knows music theory, can sing and conduct us, all at a good level, has joined us.

I know he will get bored playing drums with us. Can you recommend easy strummer songs that have heavy drum parts? This may help to engage the drummer for longer.

Rock and Blues style.

G

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I'd probably focus on songs he wants to sing more than drum.
If he can sing what he likes I'm sure he be fine just keeping
a beat for it. I think he'd probably rather be and engaged
singer than drummer.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I'd probably focus on songs he wants to sing more than drum.
If he can sing what he likes I'm sure he be fine just keeping
a beat for it. I think he'd probably rather be and engaged
singer than drummer.

Thank You Sapient,

We had that conversation ourself, in his absence last night. I think that could be a winner.

G

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you may know, I have a music group each week with 3 fairly average strummers and a bit of lead but basic.

A drummer, who plays guitar at a good standard, knows music theory, can sing and conduct us, all at a good level, has joined us.

I know he will get bored playing drums with us. Can you recommend easy strummer songs that have heavy drum parts? This may help to engage the drummer for longer.

Rock and Blues style.

G
Ask him, express your concerns.

carnada

Reaction score
At least you know he's a good drummer and knows his stuff. A lot of bands get some good members but don't even know what they have got. This is the current situation with my band. We are sitting on a goldmine and don't know it, because the people that run the band don't actually know anything about music.

I say, be straight up with the drummer. Tell him, "look, we know that we aren't the best. But we are really happy to have you in the band." Just be honest with what you feel and how you appreciate his input and ask him what he would like to do so he doesn't get bored.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Of course that's also a good opportunity to become a better player yourself. I would talk to him directly and be completely honest. I consider myself an average musician, and of course it happens that I meet people who are better players. That's not a problem, most of the time I can learn more from them.

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
If this were my situation I'd rather avoid prolonging the inevitable, and remember that free birds gotta fly.

... and this bird you cannot chaaaaa aaaange.
Lord knows I cant chay eyay eyay-eyay-eyay-eyange.

:shred2:
Beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, wahhhhhh, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily, beedily. DUN DUN chik-a chik-a DUN DUN chik-a chik-a bair nair-nair bair-nair bair-nit-nit nit-nit ...

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Of course that's also a good opportunity to become a better player yourself. I would talk to him directly and be completely honest. I consider myself an average musician, and of course it happens that I meet people who are better players. That's not a problem, most of the time I can learn more from them.

It can work the other way, too. I've had a couple of "you're doing that wrong... but how the f*&k are you doing that?!?" :rofl:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Rock and Blues style.

G
Like has already been stated, talk to him straight up. Find out what he'd like to do.

If this were my situation I'd rather avoid prolonging the inevitable, and remember that free birds gotta fly.

If you love somebody set them free. If they come back it means no one else liked them.

Set them free again.

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score
Seriously, I spoke with him earlier. He is investing in a mic and PA. So the opportunity to sing may well work out.

Of course it does motivate me to improve but I already practice 30 to 40 hours a week, sometimes more. I am just a slow learner.

cheers

G