"Homeless" Dude Yesterday ..

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sapient, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Riding my motorcycle yesterday I stopped at a gas station to get a soda ("pop", around here but I want to avoid being laughed at - Lol) and when I walked out there was a dude across the street holding himself up with some sort of rollator cart walking down the sidewalk on the side of the road. It was so bizarre because he walked in a sort of slow-motion barely keeping himself up as he strangely drifted and shifted into these weird sort of contorted positions. I really felt bad for this guy and wanted to help him out. I thought if this guy was homeless I want to help out with maybe a few bucks and possibly a gofundme page. I ride over next to him and ask if he's ok with 20 bucks I was gonna give him to help in some way with food or something. He .."rotated" towards me and said he had a stroke. I said "Very sorry to hear this. Are you homeless?" He shook his head "no". I was relieved and told him "Best of luck then". He walked on.

He wasn't homeless but he was surely f'd and it was pretty sad. I've never seen anything like it before. To think there are actually homeless like this is pretty bad. We probably don't see them often because they probably don't make it through a night out there.

Far Rider and DaDoc like this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

did you give him the $20?

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Saps..if we knew of only half of the horrors of this world we'd assume the fetal.
    BP

DaDoc and Sapient like this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

Back, in the '90s, there was this old drunk/homeless guy, that went around from restaurant to restaurant, parking by the front doors, making himself at home w/ his bottle of whatever it is he drank.

He'd every so often make his way inside & use the restroom & then back to his camp out front.

He wasn't very talkative, as we had tried to talk to him & he was usually too drunk to talk, or he'd get in a rage & start yelling expletives & threatening people.

One day, he was at a certain restaurant & came inside & was abusive to the customers. So they told him to leave. He finally went back outside, so they didn't call the cops. You could hear him yelling outside though, so it still made for an uncomfortable situation, for some people.

After a short time, he quieted down.

I guess he passed out. Someone came up & said he seems unresponsive, so the manager ended up calling police/emergency, to have him checked out.

The cops knew him well, as, like I said, he'd been all around town, & this wasn't his 1st rodeo.

Ends up, they took him by ambulance to ER, put an IV in him, to hydrate him, etc.

Talking w/ the cops at a later date, I asked them what happened to him.

They ended up telling me, that, inspite of his appearance, & always being drunk around town, he actually, was not homeless. He sure smelled like it & was dirty, like he lived on the street.

The cop said he actually had a nice home & he was a vet, living off a really good pension. The sad thing is, that he often carried well over $1,000 on him, & if he wasn't careful, that someone would beat him up, & take whatever money he had on him.

After that, we tried to keep an eye on him, just to make sure he was safe, & that no one was giving him any shit, but, that was the life he wanted & nobody was going to tell him any different.

Tragic really.

I remember finding him in the park one day, someone had hit him over the head & left him bleeding - passed out. I remember when he died. Sad, because probably no ceremony, & nobody officially mourned for him.

He lived his life as a bum/transient. He died as one, but, really, he wasn't. I think he got free meals at restaurants, because they felt sorry for him, but, I don't think he ever asked for anything.

5. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

No. He wasn't homeless. Might have been insulting at that point.

Sad that some choose to live that life. Probably very lonely and was a way to be around people. Most of them are mentally ill and are NOT out there because "They don't want to work". I'm sure you already know this.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  6. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener. Silver Supporting Member

A couple of years back I was on a long line at a 7-11 where I work. The new thing at the time was for the vagrants to come inside and get in each person's face asking for money. I've got rules... lol. I'm old and have a job, if you're not older than me or at least, more weather beaten.. you ain't getting squat but a "have a nice day."

A young female came in and asked everyone for a spare bill. She gets to me and I say, "I'm sorry, no, but have a nice day."

I guess because I was in uniform it irked her. She walks to the next guy, turns back to me and starts yelling at me: "I don't understand why can't you give a sister a dollar!!!!!" I said, "Hm, would you like me to explain it to you?"

"Yes!!!!" she yelled. I said, calmly "OK. I wake up at 3 in the morning to get ready for work.. I come in, bust my ass and take shit from the men under my command, my bosses, civilians.. and now you. I go to work to make money for my family, not for all of you who give me shit. Therefore, you can ask someone else or walk out of here. Besides, if you can stand here and ask me for money, you can get a job at McDonald's and ask me if I want fries with my order.. ok? You Understand?"

She looked stunned, speechless. "I can't believe you just went there!!!!" I said, "I didn't go there, you just dragged the 2 of us there." She said "I hope you get hit by a car." I said "get in line, so does my wife." Several people burst out laughing and she stormed out.

I give to several charities at work and at home. Mutt Mutt Engine, St Jude's, Breast cancer, Cooley's anemia and several more my
    wife beats me down for... but. like I said, if you're older than me, we're good. Here. Go get a beer... You got an animal that needs a beer here. Buy him a six. You're young, ffffffffffffk off. Ask someone else. Flame off.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    GIBSON67, DaDoc, jimmyjames and 4 others like this.
  7. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

One full of perhaps a lifetime of emotional pain. :(

DaDoc and Sapient like this.
  8. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

We all need to do something to help out . When we lived in bodega bay cal this local fisherman lived on his boat with his dog in the harbor we sold him a motor home for 100 bucks and He lived in it he paid us in sea food . Some times you just have to do what is right I got more out of it then he did . So if you are in bodega bay cal just ask for moose

DaDoc and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Depends on my mood and how it's approached. What i don't like is when they get too pushy or they just assume you have it and you should fork. Had one clown on the sidewalk demand i give him $20, i told him "sorry i don't have any cash" which i honestly didn't. He says "you're lying, you can't be broke you're driving a Vette motherfucker" To which i replied, "well i guess it sucks to be you don't it" and drove off.
    That's not how you get me to play.

10. Blokkadeleider

Blokkadeleider Well-Known Member

You know, there are homeless people, beggars, anything really. Some are nice people who just had bad luck in life. I never give money but nice ones get a coffee or sandwich from me.
    And then some are... oh well!

There was this one specific beggar in Enschede, Netherlands, where I used to work. I worked in an office in the town center. Really nice. especially on summer days. Sit in the shade under a tree on teh square outside during lunchbreak. Admire "nature" :thumbs:

However there was this one guy who would walk up on people, grab the jackets and shirts and ask for money "you got a euro? 50 cents"?
    When he did not get anything he'd shout and swear at people. Don't forget that the Netherlands is a country with very high taxation so we're understandably not very charitable.

So, one sunny afternoon he walks up to me for the umpteenth time and asks for his usual euro and of course got nothing.
    So I say: "Nah, got no money on me. Never do, as you know"
    But, I say, you need money right? More than just a euro.
    I can help you.
    So this guys eyes open wide and starts smling and he says YES!
    So, right opposite the street is the job center. I point right at it and he looks at me, ducks like he's been hit and walks away, still bent, saying he can't work.

Nowadays every time he spots me, he ducks and runs away as if he's afraid :lol::lol::lol:

Gr,

Gerrit.

GIBSON67, DaDoc, SmokeyDopey and 3 others like this.
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Exactly, same here! If one does some research, theres a lot available for homeless but the fact is most of them want to be homeless and like it. My mom had an uncle, Uncle Lewis, he was a bum, homeless, he loved it and wanted nothing more. I never met him, was too young but have heard many stories about him...he traveled all over the Country on some old simple bicycle!

DaDoc and Frodebro like this.
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Most major cities have dumped a whole lot of money into programs, shelters, and soup kitchens. Seattle spends about $100K annually PER HOMELESS PERSON. If they're on the streets in my area, it's because they want to be out there.

DaDoc and Drinkingdeath01 like this.
  13. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

A good number of the homeless are late stage alcoholics . To far gone to Try to save . At one time had productive lives and lost control of things . How this happens is what we need to look at . It is not as simple as telling some one to get a job .

Maggot Brain and Vinsanitizer like this.
  14. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Alcohol is but one of the many addictions on the streets, with mental illness representing a sizable percentage as well. There are shelters and food for these people, but you have to be sober and adhere to a basic set of rules or guidelines to qualify for a bed.

15. Sapient

On the streets you ain't ever coming back from alcohol. That's a downward spiral. Death.

DaDoc, South Park and Frodebro like this.
  16. Dogs of Doom

the problem though, is that, many people get their mental illness while homeless, due to lack of nutrition, sleep deprivation & the exposure from having a home, to none, where everything is always vulnerable to attack, or theft. Add those things up over time & things you & I take for granted are no longer "reality".

For instance, for me, going 3 days w/o a shower is unheard of & to me, unsanitary. Try that living under a bridge for 3 months. You start losing sense of "standards" that you once had. The standards that were important, no longer are. Your world is turned upside down & values are no longer a daily part of life, as you are now reduced to "survival" on a day-to-day basis.

Once you get to this point & the lack of nutrition/sleep come into play, you start losing mental faculty. Start drinking, drugs, etc.? It adds to the viscous cycle/catch 22, they find themselves. The addictables become something that they do not want to give up, so, when offered help, they do not want it. They are not of sound mind to make that decision, but, w/o a clinical diagnosis, you have to consider them sane.

DaDoc, Dmann, gsgtrman and 2 others like this.
  17. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to sound like a dick here so bear with me. I absolutely hate the homeless.
    For context, my last two shops were near homeless shelters. The city tends to only allow towing companies to exist where no one else will go. My last shop was directly across the street from the largest shelter in Minneapolis. I spent over 20 years there and have countless horror stories about those people. For example, I would always have the drunks literally pass out in my parking lot. Dead smack in the middle of where I've got trucks pulling in loaded with cars. Calling the cops didn't help, they would show up hours later. Ever try and wake these people up ? I tried to show some compassion at first but after some time I realized that wasn't going to work. These people would cuss me out and try and fight me every time. I'm 6'3 and 275 and these people who couldn't even see straight would try and take swings at me. I eventually got fed up and asked some cop friends of mine what to do. They told me flat out to start spraying them with the garden hose. Sounds ridiculous but sure enough it worked. I almost felt bad but its better then having them get run over by one of my drivers.

I can go on and on with all the theft and property damage they caused too but I'm sure you guys get the picture.

To me everybody has to have some personal accountability. I'm sorry you decided to let addiction get the best of you, but thats your poor life decision, not mine. I decided long ago that I will work hard and actually contribute something to society instead of being a parasite on others.

The mental health issue is also not my problem. The homeless are offered so much in free healthcare that whatever you need, its available. If choose not to take the meds thats on you.

Sorry for rant, I just had to throw a tweaker out of my lot yesterday for casing the joint. Dude was all messed up and still had an IV tube sticking out of his arm.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    KraftyBob, DaDoc, jchrisf and 4 others like this.
  18. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

I always give to the homeless. 2 or 3 bucks. I figure they can get a sandwich off the dollar menu.

A lot of them probably arent homeless and just making easy money.

Some will take the money and buy booze.

I figure the ones I do help eat makes it worth the spare change.

19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I try to count my lucky stars on a daily basis for all the good things I've been blessed with! It could have gone either way during the course of my life.

Some homeless folks wind up there because of bad luck, mental illness, financial ruin, ect..Those I feel sorry for.

There's others though, who are too lazy or lowdown to make anything of themselves, they prefer living on the streets and begging for a living..These individuals usually tend to be young and have a huge sense of entitlement..A lot of the "professional protesters" we're seeing right now in places like Seattle fall into this category..Those I have absolutely no sympathy or pity for. Scum of the earth..Fu*k them! :noplease:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago we were in a small town in Wyoming getting gas and here comes a twenty-something guy walking down the sidewalk..It was 105 degrees that day and this dude was wearing some kind of weird azzed black pants with zippers all over them, socks, and that was all! He was also ranting at the top of his lungs at nothing in particular..Looked to be wired to the gills on meth or something.