Home Survival Kits

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Eddie van Damon, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Eddie van Damon

Eddie van Damon Well-Known Member

Any of you guys ever build a home survival kit at home? Like extra food, water, survival gear, etc..... Prepping for when all hell breaks loose?

2. Mshayne

Mshayne New Member

Nah , no point here , 30 million people in that situation is just going to be ugly and supplies such as extra food and water just don't fit in local houses. I can barley fit my guitar and camera stuff in the house ,

diesect20022000 and Penguinchit like this.
  3. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

Beer
    Water
    Non Perishable food
    Guns, bows and ammo
    fishing equipment
    2 year supply of imodium

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Absolutely. In fact, even though this is definitely going to turn into a 'prepper' thread, where I live you'd be an idiot not to prepare for at least a 3 day power outage. That's just being prepared sensibly.

Bear R., 12barjunkie, Maklaca and 2 others like this.
  5. Vinsanitizer

^ This, my friends, is a man of experience. :yesway:

Bear R. and poeman33 like this.
  6. Grenade

Grenade Well-Known Member

I have an acoustic for when the power goes out, beer when it's cold and whiskey when that runs out.:naughty:

poeman33 likes this.
  7. Vinsanitizer

8. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

No.

I have the guns and fishing gear, but for fun, not for prepping. I'd make it all work if I needed to.

Now, I do 'prep' to make sure I don't run out of beer, but that's just called Tuesday!

9. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Well-Known Member

I have 2 boys, a wife, mother-in-law and a 30 gallon fish tank. I'm set for food and water for a while.

CaptainZero and Vinsanitizer like this.
  10. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I thought he said "survival". That's one's not on my list. :ugh:

11. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

That's the food Poe.

keennay likes this.
  12. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

A candle and a well stocked bar. Otherwise, nah.

blues_n_cues and Vinsanitizer like this.
  13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I am thinking by definition my home is my survival kit storage space. Its where I keep all my extra and emergency stuff amongst other things.

14. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Same here.
    Although we live practically inside a major city we have had some surprisingly long power cuts over the years.

I live in a thin country: the coast is never far away. So anybody can survive if they can catch fish or gather shellfish.

On the other hand, I'm not just anybody. And I never cared for fishing. So I might just starve to death at home with my books.

I might not have fish but I will have the timeless treasures of English literature.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  15. diesect20022000

diesect20022000 In Memorandum VIP Member

general supplies are good in case of disaster such as a couple of weeks of food and some medical supplies but overall if you're looking to keep society together in a HUGE event imho, you should stock up on knowledge and love (but that doesn't mean being blind either, discernment is crucial but as previously posted I don't see a reason to stock up on food or anything perishable/unsustainable because it will only prolong the inevitable and make you a target. people stock up on food but not SEEDS, ammo....which is FINITE, dig holes and put TELEVISIONS in them (good luck getting a signal in such a huge cataclysm that you would NEED such a hole in the earth to survive). to me.... IF something were to happen I would prefer going door to door and talking with my community and working out what our strengths are individually and use those to maintain a civil community, to help those in need and defend peace if required but to go on a buying spree to "save your family from the apocalypse" is a wasted effort in the wrong direction EVEN IF there were some Armageddon type scenario.....to survive and thrive would require teritorial adaptability and useable knowledge/skills. so knowing that I have a (as close to one as one can get anyway) NEAR idetic memory and the ability to solve problems on the fly I choose information which I also write down in case something happened so that my family and whomever else alive not looking to be a dick can use to maintain a civil society (farming, weapons if need be, chemistry, botony, seeds, water purification, astronomy, quarters construction of various local materials based on location and indigenous plants that are edible as well as medicinal etc).

I love those prepper shows though, they're very entertaining but sadly inept. Again I highly doubt we'd BE in such scenarios, I am not concerned etc but I feel like it's good to have that type of info in case something occurs but as far as SUPPLIES no, I think it's a waste of time within the exceptible frame of natural disaster recommended by cdc kits (usually something that can keep you bugged IN for about 2-3 weeks SUCH AS IN THE EVENT OF A SNOW IN) sorry about the caps lock lol.

In short? NO I do not "prep"

cornhusker86 and tubes like this.
  16. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

add to that-
    BBQ pits
    case of strings & an extra pick (Tortex Green) :wave:

17. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

who gets eaten firs...oh,N/M :lol:

Penguinchit and diesect20022000 like this.
  18. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Cheers diesect.

It's good to see you're still here.
    You, more than some of us, should know something about survival.

Like you I hope that, in any emergency, people will behave like civilised humans. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that way.

Where I live we had a serious earthquake in a large city, a few years ago. Judging from reports it seems to me that people there are generally more agreeable and helpful with one another than they were before the disaster.

diesect20022000 likes this.
  19. cornhusker86

cornhusker86 Well-Known Member

Lake across the road. State forest behind the house.

Generator
    Rifles, shotguns, handguns
    Ammo, and reloading tools, brass, powder, primers
    Compound bow, crossbow
    rods, reels, tackle

:yesway::usa:

20. Maklaca

Maklaca Well-Known Member

I have always had an emergency kit of food, water and supplies. You don't have to be looking for the "end of world" "dooms day" scenario to be prepared. I live in LA and have an earthquake kit. When the Northridge quake hit, we didn't have power for 5 days. Guess what, that means no access to your cash (no ATM's) and most stores closed. The ones that were open didn't take credit cards...no power. I had all the food and water I needed. We had a battery operated TV and watched people lined up for over an hour for 1 gallon of water. Getting through that was pretty smooth sailing and uneventful for me, no so much for my friends that were out of EVERYTHING. They believed the "government would take care of it". That is what most of the Katrina victims thought too. I could have ridden that thing out like it was nothing with what I have.