Hmmm..not totally sure about this coffin logo?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by neikeel, Feb 27, 2021.

1. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall...brand=Marshall&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The MT has been repainted (it is much cleaner and fresher paint than the PT and none of the mustards are correct (the date codes are all hidden and should be stamped transversely not logitudinally. Looks like a nice resto and the chassis has been cleaned very thoroughly inside and out.
    The price suggests it as original and the description leaves more out than it adds.

tce63 and Travis398 like this.
  2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, nice resto, but does not mention that it is an original (just posted the year).

3. ljs

ljs New Member

You actually sound pretty sure of what it is or at least what it’s not. Thanks for sharing this!

4. neikeel

My views only and I do value expert opinions, either positive or negative. They are rare beasts and I am surprised to see it listed in that way, but maybe it is there just as an intro for more enquiries?
    Pretty sure I sold that panel (or a copy of it made by someone else) a couple of years ago. I was restoring a 64 chassis that had a small Bulgin fuse holder hole and this panel came with a larger Belling-Lee type fuse holder. Puzzled that I cannot find my ebay listing photographs in my library from 2017!!

5. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Ya the mustards are replaced and that 500p RS isn't right. Sadly I believe most people don't know what they have or bought. Maybe they forget dont know.

What is the MT, the power transforemr endbell? And the back panel is a resto too should have gold font?

6. neikeel

The PT does look like an RS Heavy Duty but they do not have any connections up top, so the end bell maybe a dummy or it is not the RS I thought it was.
    As I said pretty sure that the rear panel is one I sold (checked my stuff and it was mid 2018)

7. StuC

StuC Member

Interesting. I have photos of a silver block logo, sandwich front JTM45 with an engraved back panel,'LEAD SER 2260" and it isn't this amp. Might be a good parts donor. :squint:

8. StuC

StuC Member

I can't recall seeing an RS where the shroud didn't have flanges overlapping the laminations. Then there are at least half a dozen other anomalies...

9. CptZar

CptZar Member

sct13 likes this.
  10. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Well done @CptZar.

eBay, paypal, and the insurance company will let the owner know that his £11,672.78 amp is now insured for £100.

sct13 and ljs like this.
  11. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

I wonder if the buyer will be happy and leave feedback.

12. Clanger1

Clanger1 Member

Totally dodgy.

13. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

That type of engraved serial number (in 2XXX and 23XX range) and backplate are not associated with with coffin logos (in my person experience), but later amps like maroon and gold/black logos.

These are were made in-house by marshall after Jim bought an used engraving machine. The employees hated this one so they outsourced the panels again.

The top cover is definitely not original to the transformer. even though these transformers are found on very early amps together with the ones with selector on top and flying leads. Same transformers but different only in the connections.

plexi

These in house panels I associate with drakes mostly

55614127_1172872839557994_5555610815228280832_n.jpg 55931018_1172876796224265_6016466136143495168_n.jpg

Here is also 2XXX range with outsourced engraved panel. (block ends and EL34)

55931018_1172876796224265_6016466136143495168_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:07 PM
  14. pleximaster

Just saw the rest of the pics on Ebay (Liting has ended)

I must agree with Neikeel that this amp did not start out as an original coffin logo amp.

many reason, like wiring colors, vinyl, the backpanel...

Mustard caps are not the regular caps in Coffin logo amps RS grey/Blue or moulded grey RS are.

Only two batches of 100 coffin logos each were made. Most of these logos ended up on cabs (2x12 and some 4x12). so perhaps 75 logos ended up on amps... Jim thought they were too expensive hence the introduction of the silver/red (maroon) plastic logo only 100 made so they are even rarer. Then the black/gold ones that are more common.

According to Ken Underwood that worked with Dudley and Ken Bran on the first amps have stated that the first day after the demo of prototyp amp they got over 40 orders... more that half of the amps I estimate got coffin logos at max. First day.

However to make thing a little more complicated thet was a back order on the head boxes that Jim produced himself. The chassis team Dudley, Ken and Ken were three and produced chassis faster than Jim could make boxes and he had the rest of the store to attend to.

Therefore some amps were delivered with out boxes just mounted on a wooden plate and the customer could come in and get a box later as they fixed backorders. Therefore there are a very confusing mix of boxes design and internal components due to that fact some customers didnt return and got thier box in consecutive order. Then Ken Bran started to help out building boxes (even though he later said he hated building boxes) He thought the offset cabinets were to complex to build and introduced the all white head boxes. Jim thought they weren't elaborate enough and introduced the splitfrony with a facia strip.

I guess they made both types parallel at some point before engaging Terry Marshall and a band mate of his building head boxes, they were already into building speaker cabinets... even prior to the amplifiers. But that's another story...

Saying all this, its is not likely that later featured chassis with back panels like these would end up with a metal coffin logo, as they had shortage of logos in the early days. But who knows, it might have fallen behind the work bench and found later.

plexi

15. pleximaster

This one was on Ebay a few years back... Was this yours Neikeel? different serial number than the one above.

55924256_1172875669557711_5828893863376322560_n.jpg

tomsvintage likes this.
  16. neikeel

Yes it was, could not find the original pic!