Hiwatt to Hell

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by _Steve, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

You might find this thread of some use. Beautiful chassis shots.

2. Rotorcraft230

Rotorcraft230 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

71B445A1-A72C-4395-8290-05751761BB7C.jpeg 20A19BA4-DA41-4F64-92B3-12921DD81948.jpeg To me building amps lead dress is my favorite part. Here is my Trinity Triwatt gut shot.

Kelia, Far Rider, maxwedge and 4 others like this.
  3. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Rotorcraft230 and tce63 like this.
  4. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

I finally got around to finishing this after a lacking the motivation to do another turret board project following the 45/100.

After the first power up with tubes installed I could see the PI cathode resistor was burning up. While I was diagnosing the PI issue the amp started blowing mains fuses. After a LOT of desoldering & resoldering I found the culprit was a splash of solder that had landed on the PI socket heater whiles while I was replacing the cathode resistor (on the board!).

20210221_094514.jpg

So after I finally resoldered everything back and got it running again I had to diagnose the PI cathode resistor issue. It was dissapating over a watt which I thought was quite impressive for a 1/2 watt carbon film to hang in there without completely failing. Even though it took quite a while to work out the issue (a missed jumper on the turret board) it was quite good because it forced me to research and learn how the famous Hiwatt PI works.

20210222_123106.jpg

I really started off trying to make a nice job of the lead dressing. I really did. But as the project progressed and after lots of resolders I was just getting more and more p*ssed off at the thing and it got sloppier and sloppier. I really don't enjoy working on turret/tag boards.

I did manage to source some very exotic and exclusive audiophile cap cans. I was told these have a really 'transparent' sound:

20210222_123132.jpg
    (dont worry I didnt try to play it while it was sitting on the carpet!)

I only had 10 minutes or so to plug it in and play before my daughter's nap time. First impression is how trebly it is! Second impression is the VOLUME! I'll need to play it more to get some decent tones out of it I think. Im thinking the distortion is probably not my cup of tea - so far it seems a bit like a clean tone with a bit of fuzz on top. Clean sound seems really good - perhaps a little twangy. This is my first experience of a Hiwatt.

20210222_112759.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    South Park, adew1 and tce63 like this.
  5. adew1

adew1 Active Member

Looks great! All that space in the chassis! Makes a nice change from typical Marshall builds, no? :)

Are you getting a headshell for it?

_Steve likes this.
  6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I love how you put those little capacitors in their own little bomb shelters. :applause:

_Steve and South Park like this.
  7. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

Looks like a virgin speaker cab sitting there. Whats in that?

_Steve likes this.
  8. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

I got some more time to play on it now that naptime is over :)

Wow this amp TRANSFORMS when the master is past 3 or 4. Its hard to explain the sound - really crisp and defined but it also SLAMS you! It's really hard to control the volume though, even with an attenuator. I think this might be louder than a 100W super lead. The other thing I notice is that all the controls are really linear through their range, both volume and tone. They really work nicely.

Yeah more room, but the two rows of valves just becomes a headache. Im thinking of building a hillbilly headshell for it like this one: Stupid SIMPLE DIY Amp Head Enclosure Build - YouTube - im not really one for aesthetics so that'll do. The exception is the JTM45/100 I just did in the other thread. I've ordered a Mojotone cab for it. That amp is seriously special.

They sound better when they can see whats happening :)

Its just a 1x12 from TRM Home (trmguitarcabs.com). I have a few of them so I can compare speakers. They are front loaded so I can swap in and out quickly.

adew1 likes this.
  9. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@_Steve
    I'm not certain, but I think @Travis398 might have been referring to that gorgeous and unmolested looking 4x12 in the background?

That "Hiwatt To Hell" looks fantastic. And yep, most of Dave Reeves' designed amps take some getting used to. Controls, dynamics, etc, don't respond like a typical Marshall or Fender. they can require a bit of finesse, but you figure them out, they can really give up the goods!

Again, Nice Build! :agreed:
    Gene

10. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Oh thats a 2061cx. Its a 2x12 - The scale is misleading in that photo :)