Hiwatt 50 Watt Head

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by axe4me, Mar 7, 2021.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

2. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I have always tended toward Marshall because of the mids sound. That said I saw a Floyd covers band a couple of years ago in a local pub. The guitarist was using a 50w Hiwatt through a 2 x 12 cabinet and had a memorably great tone out of it. One of the best guitar tones I have heard. Also only ever thought of Hiwatt's as being clean beasts, the master volume sounded very good.

3. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Many moons ago, I got a call from Elliot at the Cherry Hill, NJ GC.

He told me that I have to come down and check out this 1970 Hiwatt 100 head he got in before it hits the floor.

I got there in a flash.

We plugged in a late 50's LP Jr double cut and used a Mesa 4x12 with the Hiwatt.

Wow, what a sound.

I brought my '71 LP Gold Top and plugged it in.

Elliot didn't say a word when I played and barely said a word afterward.

I wanted that Hiwatt but didn't have the $'s or chance using my credit card with my wife there.

A 100 watt Hiwatt is on the bucket list.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Hiwatts are great sounding amps. A lot of people seem to prefer the 100 watters over the 50 watters. I think both sound really good. I always thought it odd that there is very little in way of quality demonstration of what Hiwatts sound like, but I guess they aren't super common amps.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  5. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of playing a cranked up vintage Hiwatt once. Fantastic! I wish I could remember what year it was from. Compared to a Marshall I would say it sounded more crisp and defined, yet still harmonically rich. A great tone, just a little different.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    1967owner likes this.
  7. 1967owner

1967owner Member

What about the two input Hiwatts? My DR 100 is from around 1979. It is very loud. I've only used it a couple of times on gigs because it's too loud for most places but I still really like to practice with it. The clean sound at low volumes really exposes any chops deficiencies.