Hittin’ a rough patch

mcblink

Reaction score
Doc said it could be a year or maybe two if it does come back. Nerves take a long time to regenerate. And the damage to my tendon doesn’t help.
Brother, I once had a Kenworth T800 fall and catch my hand between the axle and the leaf springs it set on. She was loaded up, too. I should not have my hand anymore, but it's still there. Yes, when the nerves regenerate, it's gonna hurt like hell....I didn't think I'd play again either. But I made it happen, and today it's no worse for the wear. Wasn't easy, but if you aren't determined to make it work, it may not. Believe you can, and make it happen.

I do realize how "Disney-fairy-tale-happy-ending" that might sound, but I had two choices: make it happen, or hang it up. I chose the former, and it was tough, but I'm glad I did. Sorry to hear of your accident, but if you really want to, you can. You'll find a way.

GL!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Brother, I once had a Kenworth T800 fall and catch my hand between the axle and the leaf springs it set on. She was loaded up, too. I should not have my hand anymore, but it's still there. Yes, when the nerves regenerate, it's gonna hurt like hell....I didn't think I'd play again either. But I made it happen, and today it's no worse for the wear. Wasn't easy, but if you aren't determined to make it work, it may not. Believe you can, and make it happen.

I do realize how "Disney-fairy-tale-happy-ending" that might sound, but I had two choices: make it happen, or hang it up. I chose the former, and it was tough, but I'm glad I did. Sorry to hear of your accident, but if you really want to, you can. You'll find a way.

GL!

i thought you said it was a pair of ass cheeks?

lespaul339

Reaction score
Man, sorry to hear that. I would be devastated as well. People that don't play just don't understand how important it is to someone who does. Like you, it's literally a part of what keeps me sane. I hope you get full use back of your finger soon!

pedecamp

Reaction score
Doc said it could be a year or maybe two if it does come back. Nerves take a long time to regenerate. And the damage to my tendon doesn’t help.
A friend who is a bass player got his hand mangled in a machine at work it was disgusting, he thought he was done but it was amazing how quickly his hand rejuvenated itself back to normal in just 6 months and he's back playing again without too much problem so dont give up!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m just sick to my stomach over it. I put in 80 hour weeks and feel like all the money in the world isn’t worth what I’ve gotten out of it. I’d rather live in a cardboard box as long as I had a guitar.
I am a carpenter, have been since 1982.
I have narrowly missed cutting fingertips, smashing my hand with beams and glulams, have shot a 16 penny nail through my right index finger and into my middle finger, all my parts are still working as they should. I am so sorry to hear of your injury, and I too love the guitar. It saves my sanity, and helps me unwind.
As @mcblink said you have to work hard to get it to come back.
My index finger for over a month or so would not straighten out on its own, I had to pull it in place with my left hand.
Cheers to your full recovery, and an accident free work place from here on forward.

Mitch

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
OP,
Don't go falling on your sword just yet.
Stay positive and you'll get more out it in due time. Stressing out isn't helping matters,it's making you fixate on it more,and thats counter productive ,and will consume you. . Modern day Orthopaedics get more advanced everyday, so theres still hope. Its still a fairly new injury . Knowing a bit about welding processes, there must of been some serious feed on that mig, to pierce the skin without bending around . Dang, nevermind 220v lighting you up simultaniously. Thats serious trauma to your body(finger) , give it time. In the interim, keep your eyes open for something that eases your mind about your future career endeavors. Maybe its a blessing in disguise? However stressing everyday at work isnt healthy,nor safe, especially when youre always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Fab shops are crazy dangerous, and everyones luck eventually runs out. See the writing on the wall, and heed its warning, because you need to do what is right for you and your family. I have a feeling that your playing will come back in due time, and youll also find the right career, thats less stressful and dangerous. Money is money, it sure helps our lifestyles, but its not everything in life, but your health and sanity is. Our prayers are with ya man,..the rest is up to you.
One day at a time, gradual moderation,.....rest that finger.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Back in June I almost lost my left index finger (fret hand) at work. I had a welding wire pierce it to the bone severing my nerve and screwing up my tendon. It’s going on 2 months post surgery and I still can’t make simple chords on the guitar.

I have been playing for over 20 years. It’s the only thing that keeps me sane. The doctors are not sure I’ll ever fully recover from this accident.

I’m at a cross roads with what I want to do in life. I love the money being a welder/fabricator brings me. I was just promoted to shop foreman and make a seriously good living, so much so, my wife doesn’t have to work and I think it’s awesome I get to make her life easy. I just bought my first house so I can’t leave this job at least until underwriting stops looking at my pay stubs.

My wife knows this is a serious blow to my sanity. She’s willing to go back to work so I can get a job where my hands won’t get destroyed and I’ll likely make half as much money.

Idk. I just feel so abused from this. I know it’s not my works fault but I still just feel like I have been shafted. Idk. I hope one day I’ll get the ability to play back. Might need to pick up a left handed fiddle and start practicing again.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it back. My son injured his hand very bad.It can not be repaired.

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your accident . Hand injuries , unimaginable ......I used to be a tree cutter for a living , hell Im still a tree cutter and still susceptible to all the wacky stuff that can happen farming/ranching/playin trucks n tractors . Always stuff in the back of my mind

I have no wisdom to add , but just wish you the best in healing and peace filled decisions

ToneWitch

Reaction score
Feeling a lot better today. It was really getting to me last night as it was the first time I picked up a guitar since this accident. I mean I went from total shredder to can’t complete basic chords. Major blow to my self esteem. I’m feeling a lot better though and your thoughtful responses help me feel better that I can get through this and get my guitar playing back.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Feeling a lot better today. It was really getting to me last night as it was the first time I picked up a guitar since this accident. I mean I went from total shredder to can’t complete basic chords. Major blow to my self esteem. I’m feeling a lot better though and your thoughtful responses help me feel better that I can get through this and get my guitar playing back.

See that.
Today is a new day,tomorrow is too.
Progress will happen

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Sorry about your accident . Hand injuries , unimaginable ......I used to be a tree cutter for a living , hell Im still a tree cutter and still susceptible to all the wacky stuff that can happen farming/ranching/playin trucks n tractors . Always stuff in the back of my mind

I have no wisdom to add , but just wish you the best in healing and peace filled decisions

No doubt .
Doing these tasks out of necessity ,keeps our minds fixed on the progress, and not on the risk.