High vs. Low Powered Marshalls

junk notes

Reaction score
20 watt toys. Compared to my big iron amps? Stop. I'm with you bud. There is a significant difference.

100 watts. Open. Just fingering...
yes
Just a word from the sponsor...?

You all talk girly.
some
Play. I understand I can't...most internet fux cant.

I can. And will. The player is always above the circuit. Deal with it. Pussy? What a great distraction.
yes
the bigger iron gives a broader audio spread. My big amps kill my SC as far as audio field. Really easy to measure ear wise and body wise.
yes
You got the jist of it. There is a sweet spot between master and preamp pot. So Fucking what! Play what you want. With authority. Or be dainty like most the fux I meet!
exactly
I'll play whatever the Fuck I want. May be good it may be shit. I never kid myself.
100%

Just restocked the fridge. Come over whenever you feel and help yourself to several cold ones. ;-):cheers:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is saying that the big iron makes or breaks you, and that he is agreeing with OP - in his own way lol
Don’t make that mistake Junk,.... it could be dangerous,...very dangerous! No one should ever think they completely understand @solarburnDSL50,....tragic mistake that could come back to BITE you,...hard and long.

:cool: :fingersx: :fever: :hbang:

junk notes

Reaction score
O.K. @scozz, point taken. Heck, you all are invited to come over and dime Plexi circuits. Bring your guitar @scozz!
:cheers:
Most here know that I am a big iron Plexi guy, and being soo close to picking up an SV head and am excited to get a mini-me Plexi. (and the SC -why not? lol)
Also that Marshall has no 1992 offering in the SV, and will be modding mine to Superbass nullifying the warranty :shock: (sorry)

I realize I will not be "pushing air"... and awaits exploring to get max results alongside speaker cabs and configs, variac's and attenuator's. A plethora of sorts.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
O.K. @scozz, point taken. Heck, you all are invited to come over and dime Plexi circuits. Bring your guitar @scozz!
Most here know that I am a big iron Plexi guy, and being soo close to picking up an SV head and am excited to get a mini-me Plexi. (and the SC -why not? lol)
Also that Marshall has no 1992 offering in the SV, and will be modding mine to Superbass nullifying the warranty :shock: (sorry)

I realize I will not be "pushing air"... and awaits exploring to get max results alongside speaker cabs and configs, variac's and attenuator's. A plethora of sorts.
Have a great week end Brutha'! :cheers:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t make that mistake Junk,.... it could be dangerous,...very dangerous! No one should ever think they completely understand @solarburnDSL50,....tragic mistake that could come back to BITE you,...hard and long.

:cool: :fingersx: :fever: :hbang:

yessomeyesyesexactly100%

Just restocked the fridge. Come over whenever you feel and help yourself to several cold ones. ;-):cheers:

:D

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have too much fun with SC. I'm sure that mini Plexi is awesome too. And I will prolly get one sooner than later. One thing I won't do to it is attenuate it. I don't have to be quiet where I live and it makes me and my Marshall amps happy.:shred:

_Steve

Reaction score
Great thread and useful comparison by the OP!

Personally I think the SV20 rocks and is still 100% plexi through and through. There's totally some compromises, but it is a truly wonderful amp. I think Marshall hit the ball out of the park with these.

I too have a strong preference for the 100W'ers over the 50s, but lets face it, if we could only have a 1987 and nothing else we'd still be totally happy right??? I feel the same way about the SV20, and with its convenience factor I probably put more hours on it than any of my other amps.

Just a small clarification for the OP. The breakup point of the output tubes is a factor of the biasing vs the plate voltage vs the OT primary impedance, and is unrelated to the wattage. It would be totally feasible to design a 20W EL34 output section that was completely clean all the way to 10 (or 11 :dude:). I've actually considered putting a small resistor in series with the volume pot(s) to push back the break-up point. You'd lose a little of ultimate amount of gain achievable, but I don't go anywhere close to that anyway. I actually think this would be a good mod for the SVs. The volume pots are on little break-out boards so it would be easy-peasy.