High gain tone with Valvestate and OD

Haggath

Reaction score
So my current go-to setup is a Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 150 half stack with a Behringer TO800 OD pedal. I have Wah and other effects to use, but my main issue at the minute is dialling in a tone similar to Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden. I have done my research and I can confidently say the for eras I'm looking at, he uses just Marshall heads for his tone, and either a TS9 or TS808 simply as a solo boost. He does not use the TS to colour the sound of his amp at all.

Now I know immediately that the Valvestate head is not going to produce the tones of the heads he has used previously (30th Anniversary 6100LM, JCM 2000 DSL100, JVM 410H etc.), so am I better off using my OD as an "always on" pedal to give me my base tone, then using a secondary OD pedal as a solo boost? Also, from videos/pictures, I know his gain and EQ settings don't really change much (Gain: 4, Volume: 6, Bass: 1, MIds: 5, Treble: 4, Presence: 3 for all channels). Thought it would be best to mention that I don't currently have the budget or living space for a 100W high-gain head, hence why I got the hybrid amp. Any tips would be massively appreciated!

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I have a Valvestate 8100 head and to be honest,
if it is cranked up to bandrehearsal or giglevels
there is not much difference in sound between this and my 800 900 or 2000 amps, atleast
not when played with a bit of preamp overdrive
that is needed for Iron Maiden tone.

The fulltube heads need to be turned up
even more to really come alive, before that
point the Valvestate can hang with them.

I dont like the 8100 or other solidstates
at very low volume playing, but for bandrehearsal they work. For loud gigs
surely the big fulltube amps will work better.

There is a guy on youtube who played
valvestates for long time, but had to upgrade
to a full tube amp because the Valvestates
got lost in the mix frequently, this rings
true.

I rather play those sounds with less gain.
On my Valvestate the cleanchannel preamp
all the way up is usually sufficient, or the
crunch button engaged and the gain about
2 oclock is ok too.

Then for Solo either switching to the Boostchannel or use whatever overdrive you like.

I think your amp can deliver those british
heavy metal sounds just fine with a little
bit of volume behind.

Cheers

Last edited:

Haggath

Reaction score
Okay yeah, I have noticed if I crank the master volume on this amp the sound does thicken up nicely. What would be your suggestion then
I have a Valvestate 8100 head and to be honest,
if it is cranked up to bandrehearsal or giglevels
there is not much difference in sound between this and my 800 900 or 2000 amps, atleast
not when played with a bit of preamp overdrive
that is needed for Iron Maiden tone.

The fulltube heads need to be turned up
even more to really come alive, before that
point the Valvestate can hang with them.

I dont like the 8100 or other solidstates
at very low volume playing, but for bandrehearsal they work. For loud gigs
surely the big fulltube amps will work better.

There is a guy on youtube who played
valvestates for long time, but had to upgrade
to a full tube amp because the Valvestates
got lost in the mix frequently, this rings
true.

I rather play those sounds with less gain.
On my Valvestate the cleanchannel preamp
all the way up is usually sufficient, or the
crunch button engaged and the gain about
2 oclock is ok too.

Then for Solo either switching to the Boostchannel or use whatever overdrive you like.

I think your amp can deliver those british
heavy metal sounds just fine with a little
bit of volume behind.

Cheers
Okay yeah. I have noticed that when you crank the master volume on these amps, it really thickens the sound up. Also from isolated tracks on YouTube I've deduced that AS uses a clean channel, then a generic rhythm channel, a lead channel for riffs and melodies, or noodly little solos during verses, and then a full on solo signal. My guess (based on his setup) is that he uses Clean for clean, OD1 for his rhythm, OD2 with a tiny volume boost for the lead parts, and then kicks on a TS for his solos which provides a huge volume and mid boost. The problem I'm currently having is that the TS seems to do nothing to my volume. What would you maybe suggest as far as settings go?

Haggath

Reaction score
Are you using the TS as a clean boost or are you adding drive?
Using it as a clean boost in front of my amp. That will only change my tone though, won't it? Won't add to volume at all. Basically, I think his live channels are:
Clean, Rhythm, Lead (for noodling and little phrases), and then his solo channel. On top of those he can add in his digital fx when wanted through MIDI, but the MIDI doesn't change amp channels at all (at least on the DSL100). He may have had MIDI channel switching with the 6100LM.

This is all still speculation, I'm just going off of isolated guitar tracks from the En Vivo tour back in 2010-2011.

Latest posts